Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sell Model 3 and wait for tax change?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brand new Model 3 LR costs 52-53K + Tax

I have offers on my 2019 20K mile LR for 43K. I paid 48.5 with the 3750 tax break

Any reason not to pull the trigger?

I don't 'need' a car right now. I can wait it out for a few months.
Best case -- 10K tax credit comes in, and I get a new car for 42K -- with the slightly upgraded battery + heat pump

Medium case -- no tax credit, no tesla for a few months while I wait -- however its 2 years / 20K miles newer -- an extra 20% for brand new is a fair gamble

Worst case - no tax credit, inflation, and new car price is increased further

Reactions: ZapCarM3
wouldn't you be paying the sales tax on two cars (your original as well as the new one after the tax credit is passed)?
In my state, paying the sales tax twice would eat up the tax credit. That is without the small loss on the vehicle for selling it.

Reactions: Jason1652
Definitely sell right now if you don't need the car since the used market is insane right now. Only issue is that who knows when the new credit begins, and I wouldn't be surprised to see significant price increases around the time that credit's available.

Reactions: Jejunjm
A few weeks ago I would have said do it, not now. They took out the radar and the lumbar support for the passenger. The seats are pretty poor already, making the passenger seat worse is a move in the wrong direction. Also they need to prove that camera's will work as well as radar in rain or fog, I'm skeptical.

Reactions: Platini
Are the radars activated now? Also, I am in the same boat and I put up my M3 for sale to see what comes of it. I work from home, post-COVID, so I literally put 1,200 miles on my M3 over the last 9 months. In addition to saving on insurance and that stupid $10 per month Internet fee, I feel that more EV options will be available in the next 18 months. If I get a good offer, I am thinking of buying an older 6-speed car (just to live out my college days) to get around town.

Reactions: timeshifter
wouldn't you be paying the sales tax on two cars (your original as well as the new one after the tax credit is passed)?
In my state, paying the sales tax twice would eat up the tax credit. That is without the small loss on the vehicle for selling it.
Luckily did not pay sales tax first time as live in a electric-vehicle-no-tax state. However, likely will move to a 3% sales tax state. Not the worst hit

Are the radars activated now? Also, I am in the same boat and I put up my M3 for sale to see what comes of it. I work from home, post-COVID, so I literally put 1,200 miles on my M3 over the last 9 months. In addition to saving on insurance and that stupid $10 per month Internet fee, I feel that more EV options will be available in the next 18 months. If I get a good offer, I am thinking of buying an older 6-speed car (just to live out my college days) to get around town.
Wow -- same boat. I was considering buying a used manual to learn last year -- I can drive well enough to get around, but not confidently or quickly. If I do get rid of the Tesla, then I'd have more incentive to get a manual

Brand new Model 3 LR costs 52-53K + Tax

I have offers on my 2019 20K mile LR for 43K. I paid 48.5 with the 3750 tax break

Any reason not to pull the trigger?

I don't 'need' a car right now. I can wait it out for a few months.
Best case -- 10K tax credit comes in, and I get a new car for 42K -- with the slightly upgraded battery + heat pump

Medium case -- no tax credit, no tesla for a few months while I wait -- however its 2 years / 20K miles newer -- an extra 20% for brand new is a fair gamble

Worst case - no tax credit, inflation, and new car price is increased further

Sell your Model 3 now. Place your order for your Model Y today. That way you lock in the price before Tesla jacks it up anymore in anticipation of the tax credit. Then just keep delaying your delivery until the tax credit happens, or you know it won't happen. If the tax credit doesn't happen, and the price goes down, make a change in your order (or call Tesla) to get the new lower price, and take delivery of your new Model Y.

Then just keep delaying your delivery until the tax credit happens, or you know it won't happen. If the tax credit doesn't happen, and the price goes down, make a change in your order (or call Tesla) to get the new lower price, and take delivery of your new Model Y.
How is it possible to delay delivery repeatedly?

A few weeks ago I would have said do it, not now. They took out the radar and the lumbar support for the passenger. The seats are pretty poor already, making the passenger seat worse is a move in the wrong direction. Also they need to prove that camera's will work as well as radar in rain or fog, I'm skeptical.
Why do you think the seats are pretty poor? Don’t you like marshmallows?

I'm on the fence about doing the same. With the insane used auto market, I can sell my '19 SR+ for $38.5k. I test drove the Y though and it didn't feel like as much of an upgrade from my 3 as I expected. I still enjoy the 3 so I'm leaning towards keeping it for a while and going to the Cybertruck in 1-10 years when production starts. If resale goes up much more though I may change my mind.

Why do you think the seats are pretty poor? Don’t you like marshmallows?
Lack of adjustability. My girlfriend is only 5'2, and she's very uncomfortable in the passenger seat. There is no adjustment for the headrest or the seat belt. We tried all sorts of things to make the seat work for her, various neck pillows, we built up cushions. We finally settled on one neck pillow and a seat belt clip that holds the seat belt down. I worry that the seat belt clip isn't safe, the problem with the seat belts is that for short people it cuts across the neck. The clip make it comfortable to ride but in the case of an accident it isn't going to hold and the seat belt could jump up to neck level. I find the seats OK but I'm exactly the height of a crash test dummy so they are optimized for someone my size. However the seats in my old Volt were more comfortable for both of us and that's a car that inherited it's interior from a $20K Chevy Cruise. The Tesla is a $50K car, the seats ought to be a lot better then they are.