Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sell your ICE car ASAP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think there's a pretty good chance that used ICE prices will fall significantly over the next several years as EVs become more mass market and more desired.

It doesn't seem likely to be a step function, and if it were a step function, it'd probably be late next year or so, when the 3 production is wide open and Tesla starts making real inroads on autonomous driving.

Reactions: EinSV
Used ICE sales IMHO will not change too much for many years. Remember with all these new EV's coming out by 2020, to get one it will still be a "new" car purchase. And the $$$ needed to buy one.
Used cars I think will still be in demand for at least another 8-10 years

After the ICE price falls, buying one for use during long waits for auto body repairs of an EV could be cheaper than a rental car.

That's already true in some cases. We've seen more than one Tesla owner go that route. I just don't remember if it was posted here or on reddit.

Just be sure to buy one retroactively when needed not proactively. No reason to pay maintenance and risk depreciation during the time you don't need it.

EVs are not going to replace every use case right now. But when the total cost of ownership drops below that for ICE, it will be disruptive. There will likely be an inflection point where the market shifts over quickly.

This will result in softening demand for gasoline, which could actually keep gas prices lower long-term. So this will be a complex process.

There are 265 million cars with an average age of 11.4 years.
There are 0.65 million plug in cars as of June 2017 with about a 3 year average age.

So 1.5 years and all hell is going to break loose and folk with buy 1,000,000 EV's a year? That's not even enough to dent it. It's the magnitude folk who are enthusiasts can't grasp.

You need to talk to more people if you believe that EV are going to have a sudden effect on ICE pricing. Many people do not want to even try an EV no matter what the price. Some will not look at EVs until their favorite brand (like Toyota) has them and they are very cheap.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and gowthamn
Agreed. When the average car buyer realizes that an EV is cheaper to own and operate, demand will spike and car manufacturers will have to respond or lose market share. That has barely begun to happen, but it has started. I think we are at least 3 years away from that inflection point. Once that happens, the transition to EVs will take a few decades. But it will happen no matter what the price of gasoline is.
EVs are not going to replace every use case right now. But when the total cost of ownership drops below that for ICE, it will be disruptive. There will likely be an inflection point where the market shifts over quickly.

This will result in softening demand for gasoline, which could actually keep gas prices lower long-term. So this will be a complex process.

Reactions: Jaff
There are 265 million cars with an average age of 11.4 years.
There are 0.65 million plug in cars as of June 2017 with about a 3 year average age.

So 1.5 years and all hell is going to break loose and folk with buy 1,000,000 EV's a year? That's not even enough to dent it. It's the magnitude folk who are enthusiasts can't grasp.

You need to talk to more people if you believe that EV are going to have a sudden effect on ICE pricing. Many people do not want to even try an EV no matter what the price. Some will not look at EVs until their favorite brand (like Toyota) has them and they are very cheap.
In two years, every major automaker (like Toyota, Ford, GM, BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, VW, etc.) will be offering a competitive EV. In just a few years, they will be cheaper to operate than ICE cars.
People tend to overestimate the amount of change that can take place in the short term and underestimate the amount of change that can take place over the longer term. There will be a tipping point which will start in a few years and snowball quickly. By 2030 most fossil cars could be replaced by EVs.

That's why you should sell your ICE used car now and not wait for the price to go down a few years from now.

This only makes sense if one can afford to buy a replacement EV today. If I sell my old Honda Civic, I pocket 7k, but then have to spend $ on a new car immediately.

If my Civic is only worth 3k or 1k in a few years due to EVs I really don't care. How much is a 10 year old econobox worth under normal situations anyways? I got my $ worth out of it and have no regrets.

Reactions: GSP
This only makes sense if one can afford to buy a replacement EV today. If I sell my old Honda Civic, I pocket 7k, but then have to spend $ on a new car immediately.

If my Civic is only worth 3k or 1k in a few years due to EVs I really don't care. How much is a 10 year old econobox worth under normal situations anyways? I got my $ worth out of it and have no regrets.
I too have an old ICE that I use as a backup/going to the dump truck. It's 18 years old with nearly 200,000 miles. It's worth next to nothing so I will keep it. I only put gas in it a few times a year so not expensive to run. I'm not worried about it declining in value.
However, I wouldn't buy a new ICE car.

Reactions: Jaff
Maybe you need to think in terms of what cars people will be replacing with EVs. I can see people dumping CNG, hybrids, and compacts for EVs, but I don't think very many people will dump their pickups for any EV. And I think 2019 is 5-10 years too early to worry about it.

Reactions: McRat