Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling my Tesla. Buyer is asking if I can keep my account active, and simply change email accounts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry I should have been more clear. We'll do the DMV paperwork to transfer ownership of vehicle and title and release of liability.

Just with respect to the Tesla account buyer requested instead of doing the "remove vehicle" from app, I simply change email address on the account to the buyers email....

What about your credit card that is linked to your account in the app which is used for upgrades and access to the Tesla store. I also have free SC but still have a cc on file. And Title changes WILL be reported to Tesla inevitably. Personally I don’t think it’s a good idea… and your buyer is probably a member (or soon to be member) on this forum…

Last edited:
Are you going to have a Tesla in the future? If not, then I wouldn't expect it to be a big deal, because you wouldn't expect any conflicts from Tesla. But it's your account not his, so it's your name having accepted the TOS for using the car and the services like Supercharging.

If you are going to have any other Tesla vehicles, this would be bad. But if you are leaving it all behind I could see doing it as a favor to the new buyer.

It's a really nice perc, but consider negative scenarios, like the new guy abusing the hell out of free miles, like starting a limo service or driving for Uber on free miles. That's now on your account/name.

Besides, all that it will not achieve what he's hoping for. Tesla works off of the title, not the Tesla account. As soon as he registers it, usually within a few weeks, the supercharging status will change to whatever is correct for him. If you had the "supercharging free until you sell the vehicle" status, SC05, then he will have to start pay for his supercharging. It matters not whether he gets to keep your account.

Wait. I believe that the free supercharging follows the car when sold.

Did you read the blog you linked to, with all the "ifs / ands / Buts?" If not, I suggest reading it in its entirety as it absolutely, positively, is not "free supercharging follows the car when sold for all Teslas" in the slightest.

Reactions: Jeff Hudson