Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling to Vroom, anyone can speak about the experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For people in CA, did you guys have to fill out a Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability form when selling?
That's normal on any sale. I gave a car away to a local veteran organization and I had to complete the same forms. It really is for your protection. Lets suppose someone drives your (old) car and kills someone. With no proof of the xfer on record, the proof in on you that you didn't do it.

That's normal on any sale. I gave a car away to a local veteran organization and I had to complete the same forms. It really is for your protection. Lets suppose someone drives your (old) car and kills someone. With no proof of the xfer on record, the proof in on you that you didn't do it.

errr... no. The onus of proof is on the accuser. It simply means it's harder for you to mount a defense.

Sold my Volt to Vroom couple of weeks before my delivery of Model 3 in 2018. It was a painless process, they offered the highest for the car at the time.

The company they used to pickup the car, the person ran his fingers around the car and made notes on any noticeable dents\chips on windshield on paper. Made sure the charger that came with the car was there. Signed paper that it was picked up, since it was Friday the transfer of money didn't happen until Monday. If you have an existing loan on the vehicle you submit the company whom you have your loan with and they work it out with them. If there's money left over they cut you the rest through ACH.

I highly recommend them due to my experience.

Sold my Volt to Vroom couple of weeks before my delivery of Model 3 in 2018. It was a painless process, they offered the highest for the car at the time.

The company they used to pickup the car, the person ran his fingers around the car and made notes on any noticeable dents\chips on windshield on paper. Made sure the charger that came with the car was there. Signed paper that it was picked up, since it was Friday the transfer of money didn't happen until Monday. If you have an existing loan on the vehicle you submit the company whom you have your loan with and they work it out with them. If there's money left over they cut you the rest through ACH.

I highly recommend them due to my experience.

I was wondering about that! Vroom has a slightly lower offer than Carvana, but I’ll still get money back after the loan payoff. Carvana doesn’t pick up in my area and I don’t really want to ship the car and deal with a third party in the middle. Vroom seemed like the easier method, but they didn’t clearly state how they handle a loan payoff (at least before you accept the offer, and I didn’t want to accept till I know how it worked).

Vroom transports your car to Texas, and you don't get paid until they receive it and process it. It's not in their business model to pay in advance or at the time of pickup...

I thought they were able to release payment once their driver had the car and confirmed back to Vroom. Otherwise for us northern guys it could be like 3+ days before Vroom gets the car and than another day before they mail payment and another one or two days before we get it... five to six days seems slow...

I thought they were able to release payment once their driver had the car and confirmed back to Vroom. Otherwise for us northern guys it could be like 3+ days before Vroom gets the car and than another day before they mail payment and another one or two days before we get it... five to six days seems slow...

I've only sold one car through them, so this is just one data point. Car was picked up, held in San Diego for 2-3 days (I'm assuming to fill up a carrier) and then trucked to Texas. Going from memory, the car was in Texas after about 5-6 days from pickup. There were weekend days involved where Vroom doesn't work. Once in Texas, it took them a few days to process the payment and get it over to my credit union.

I assumed this time frame is normal, maybe it's not. The guy who picked up the car was with a transport company, and didn't represent Vroom. He went over the car and made a tick mark or two on his paperwork to indicate flaws or issues and gave me a copy of it (very minor marks, he was thorough). Then he loaded up the car and drove away. I doubt that Vroom would release the payment without having the car in Texas to look over, so that means the risk is on the seller somewhat for the travel period.

Not sure I'd do it again that way, but they provided an offer that was quite a bit more than others I received so I went with it...Your mileage may vary... :)

To people who have sold Tesla car to Vroom…what did you turn off/notify tesla, etc. before they picked up car? Thanks!!
Nothing - I wanted to know where the car was so, like above, I tracked it when it sat in the Manheim lot over the weekend and when it went on the truck to wherever. When I got my check I used the Tesla website to remove the car from my account.

Reactions: Voltear
Nothing - I wanted to know where the car was so, like above, I tracked it when it sat in the Manheim lot over the weekend and when it went on the truck to wherever. When I got my check I used the Tesla website to remove the car from my account.

Hmmm.
Your post makes me wonder if a Tesla owner can retain some measure of control over the car, given up when the check is received.

Vroom gave a solid offer for my 2019 SR. Has anyone else sold to Vroom before? Thanks
I got a good offer from Vroom for my 2016 Lexus. They processing payments to payoff the Lexus and getting the balance to me did take a few days longer than expected. The only thing that bothered me quite a bit was that they used an independent contractor to pick up my Lexus in El Paso to transport to Houston. The guy showed up one evening and he was ready to take the car without giving me any paperwork. Unacceptable. Made him come back later with the paperwork. Once he took the car, (I noticed later that he had not added the actual mileage on the paperwork) he kept it for 9 days and kept driving it all around town. I still had the Lexus Enform service active, so I was able to track the car - he drove it over 200 miles. At this point the car was no longer covered by my insurance and did not have any license plates. I did notify Vroom of what was going on but they did not seem concerned. It was finally delivered to Vroom 12 days after it was picked up. Other than that, all else was OK.

• Helpful
Reactions: SageBrush