Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carmax, Vroom etc Model Y used catch/experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone purchased used Model Y from sites like Vroom, Carmax.. any catch to their listed prices/experience?

Any recent (Dec 22 - Jan 23 onwards esp) experiences you can share? What research if any to make a purchase with them? What would you look out for. Cheers & Thanks!

I just got mine two weeks ago from Carmax. 2022 MYP with only 3k miles. It was fine. Checked battery, checked inside for rip or tears. Didn’t care about panel gaps. Only cared about USS, matrix headlights, real p rear brakes, bio defense, heated steering wheel. Didn’t look or care about scratches on wheels. Didn’t care about any fine scratches. It’s a “used” car and tesla will warranty items that a body shop can’t fix

6D4B7724-CA56-459E-A8E7-5FC5A92B345C.jpeg

Just some food for thought, I Sold my MYLR to Vroom last year when the resale prices were insane, I left the car connected to my account for curiosity and they had it sitting in a parking lot for a couple months with a dead battery so that's something to consider. Also not sure if this was normal but vroom didn't even inspect the vehicle on pickup so yeah be careful

Reactions: 240vPlug
I just got mine two weeks ago from Carmax. 2022 MYP with only 3k miles. It was fine. Checked battery, checked inside for rip or tears. Didn’t care about panel gaps. Only cared about USS, matrix headlights, real p rear brakes, bio defense, heated steering wheel. Didn’t look or care about scratches on wheels. Didn’t care about any fine scratches. It’s a “used” car and tesla will warranty items that a body shop can’t fix

View attachment 904633
That cleaned up nice!! Is it an Intel or a Ryzen car though? The infotainment chip is a lot more important than the rear brake calipers!

Just some food for thought, I Sold my MYLR to Vroom last year when the resale prices were insane, I left the car connected to my account for curiosity and they had it sitting in a parking lot for a couple months with a dead battery so that's something to consider. Also not sure if this was normal but vroom didn't even inspect the vehicle on pickup so yeah be careful
I would definitely say buy from Carmax over Vroom or Carvana. Those other two you have to buy the car sight unseen. You also have a month to drive it 1500 miles max and if you don’t like it you can return for 100% of the cost including all TTL and fees.

You could technically abuse this system and consider it a “rental car” for free and they will give back month after month but I wouldn’t advise doing this unless you have funds to cover two cars at the same time (new purchase while waiting for old funds to return) or they have another car on the lot they offer an alternate car and the 30 days start over again.

Again I’m not advising or promoting this but if you have cash and time on your hands…it’s possible.

That cleaned up nice!! Is it an Intel or a Ryzen car though? The infotainment chip is a lot more important than the rear brake calipers!
Ryzen of course 😏. This chip is 4x faster than the Intel in my 2018 model 3. Sentry viewing, YT, responsiveness, etc. Also has CCS which I forgot to add.

I would definitely say buy from Carmax over Vroom or Carvana. Those other two you have to buy the car sight unseen. You also have a month to drive it 1500 miles max and if you don’t like it you can return for 100% of the cost including all TTL and fees.

You could technically abuse this system and consider it a “rental car” for free and they will give back month after month but I wouldn’t advise doing this unless you have funds to cover two cars at the same time (new purchase while waiting for old funds to return) or they have another car on the lot they offer an alternate car and the 30 days start over again.

Again I’m not advising or promoting this but if you have cash and time on your hands…it’s possible.

Ryzen of course 😏. This chip is 4x faster than the Intel in my 2018 model 3. Sentry viewing, YT, responsiveness, etc. Also has CCS which I forgot to add.
Lol didn’t know about that interesting. After selling to vroom I would never buy from them.

The whole process on the selling side was supposed to be straight forward but they had delayed sending someone out to pick up the car multiple times when they said someone would be showing up. They used some third party courier that just showed up around 9 pm without any notice lol, didn’t even have a BOL to give me when picking up the car just a huge headache.

Reactions: TwoK4drSi
I sold my ID.4 to Vroom, and it was a local third party flatbed that picked it up. They took pics and gave me a BOL, but the pics were for their own sake, nothing that Vroom actually requested.

Then again, my car went straight to the Manheim auction downstate, and never hit Vroom's website. They flipped it at a $2,000 loss, even at the peak of the used market.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
I sold my ID.4 to Vroom, and it was a local third party flatbed that picked it up. They took pics and gave me a BOL, but the pics were for their own sake, nothing that Vroom actually requested.

Then again, my car went straight to the Manheim auction downstate, and never hit Vroom's website. They flipped it at a $2,000 loss, even at the peak of the used market.
That's crazy. They are obviously overpaying for used vehicles. These companies will be in trouble soon if they aren't already. I know Carvana has major problems.

I would also be very wary of vroom and Carvana as I have heard the same as posted above. If you look at the history report you should be able.to.see how long it's been sitting. Battery isn't the only issue when a car sits that long.

I sold my older 22 MYLR to Vroom during the peak last year. I tracked it - they took it up the coast and almost immediately into a new owners hands - I presume at a small gain despite crazy high prices at that time.

The return of prices to normal has really whacked what is essentially intended to be a light arbitrage service for used cars. It'll settle down, but yeah there may be opportunities to find desperation-deals in the short term as inventory settles back to reality

Thanks to all wonderful comments - very helpful
I am also trying to wrap my head around how the used car market looks at Tesla/EV in general. I guess it seems outdated if they apply the same “formula” for depreciation as ICE cars esp given there is hardly any degradation (apart from say battery if at all, which may be replaceable down the line hopefully cheaply). I can imagine market supply/demand plays into it but longer term ICE may be like “nokia” phone in 2000s compared to used EV with touchscreens, and hardly any wear

Would anyone with experience in used car market suggest waiting on selling their <2yr old Tesla to look to sell (hopefully market improves given the dip last 3/4 months and also Tesla price drops - albeit short term) ? Thanks

View attachment 904633
Nice! Congrats! Do you mind sharing what you paid?