Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
gap 180.83 touched, maybe 183 is next

View attachment 879838

Hi @Yoona I was wondering how many times TSLA closes week at or above Monday's(or first trading day of week) intraday high. I'm aware of the 15-20% rule in general for Mon-Fri. But would be interesting to see how the weekly closing price aligns with Monday intraday high.

If you have the data handy are you able to provide some insights? Thanks.

Hi @Yoona I was wondering how many times TSLA closes week at or above Monday's(or first trading day of week) intraday high. I'm aware of the 15-20% rule in general for Mon-Fri. But would be interesting to see how the weekly closing price aligns with Monday intraday high.

If you have the data handy are you able to provide some insights? Thanks.
looks like +/- 17% in 2022

TSLA Safe OTM% (Fri Close vs Mon Low/High) - Last 2 Years

1669830626173.png

There are 2 unknowns between now and Friday close -

Today - Fed Chair Jerome Powell speaking at 1:30ish EST - could make the market crash or rally.
Tomorrow - Tesla Semi event - if something unexpected is announced - could make the stock crash or rally.

Good luck!

You're forgetting a biggie: PCE tomorrow morning at 5:30 AM PT / 8:30 AM ET. And unemployment numbers on Friday AM.

So many economic releases to act as catalysts these days, it's hard to keep track.

I've done a lot of backtesting / research using Black-Scholes spreadsheet. I'll post that with details today. Take a look at my post from a couple of days back.

Wiki - Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

Here is some back testing using Black-Scholes spreadsheet. Note that
- IV is 60
- Doesn't account for bid/ask spread
- Using 10% OTM
- I used the last big jump over 3 consecutive weeks for testing from 11-Mar-22

As you can see
- Vertical Spread works better in this case as by 15-Apr it is no longer trapped. Covered Call is still trapped.
- In general to get x premium, we need 2x spread. I tried to pick strikes where short strike is 1x below SP and long leg is 1x above SP.
- If the SP keeps going up several weeks in a row, the difference in buy/sell strikes keeps getting doubled and becomes more like a covered call.

1669834321809.png

I'm listening to Powell and this is a turning point. I'm holding off on selling more CCs as it seems the Fed has turned a corner. But, he's about to take questions...holding my breath!

Unless we hit 200 today and then I'll sell some $210s for next week.
Powell just said, in response to a question..."and that is why we are slowing down".

So, we will NOT get 0.75 on Dec 14th, that is now known.

download from yahoo and upload to google sheets, then create charts

Ok - so, need some serious charting chops :)

I've not used Google for charting - just use Excel. Do you code or can you get these just through a wizard ?