Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, EVNow, that's your opinion.

I'll leave it here for today. In my reaction I gave facts about option greeks. It's your right to doubt the working of those greeks. It must been said that markets, as I do, have another opinion on greeks than you. One example is your definition on delta.
Again - you show no evidence that you understand the difference between opinion and facts.

Did you search and see the references I provided ? If not, why not ?

Last edited:
Yes - not sure how to deal with people who just post stuff with zero proof. If I don't respond, people who read the thread will think the wrong thing is actually correct.
Got to back @EVNow on this. I researched this also in the past and weeklies generally outperform longer dated options since the theta decay in the last days till expiration is a lot faster. Even if weeklies mean you sell at the IV of the week (sometimes low, sometimes high, you have no influence/choice) , it beats long dated selling on high IV spikes.

I'm all for discussion in both directions but when contesting something (that is backed by examples) you should provide counter evidence. If not, state you don't know. Otherwise it is possibly misleading to all others casually reading the back and forth.

Yeah, just an experiment. Trying to see if diversifying opens up more trading strategies or if it’s just double the stress watching the two tickers.

Aaaaand it’s double the stress. Had the chance to close it at 60%+ but didn’t take it and now it’s ITM. Will close tomorrow if I get the chance, otherwise will roll.

Interesting 7/21 $200/$230 bull call spread spotted based on unusual TSLA options activity (Tesla’s Q2-23 earnings is around 7/19-7/26; P&D first week of July.)

IMG_9361.png

IMG_9364.png

Whether it’s “someone always knows” positioning for a beat or just a closing order remains to be seen based on the option chain over the next several days.

Anyone have thoughts on this play?

PS Here's a link to the trade I copied into Optionstrat:

1685050413104.png

1685050481754.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: UltradoomY
Even if weeklies mean you sell at the IV of the week (sometimes low, sometimes high, you have no influence/choice) , it beats long dated selling on high IV spikes.
As a side note the IV spikes happen because of uncertainty- which means the SP can move quite a bit (think of the options that expire right after ER). So, if we sell those options a month in advance because IV is high - and SP moves counter to our bet, reduction in IV after the event is not going to save us. High IV on longer term option compared to weeklies is usually because of events in the intervening period that adds uncertainty and risk. There is no free lunch.

I saw the Ford news, and then checked the ticker, and so far no significant change AH. I wonder if this will turn into another Hertz moment from a couple years ago.... I hope not as I already rolled most of my CC for tomorrow to next week for 212.5 strikes.
I’m bracing for a negative reaction. Depends on analysts notes that will probably come out tonight / tomorrow. On the face of it, the positives for Ford are clear - but not for Tesla.

Just for fun, I asked ChatGPT 4.0 for a recommendation on how to manage a -185C expiring 5/26. Here's the response:

Given that Tesla's stock price closed at $184.47, very close to your covered call strike price of $185, it's a tricky situation as minor price fluctuations tomorrow could cause the call option to be in or out of the money by the end of the day.
Here are a few strategies to consider:
  1. Wait and see: Given that the price is close to the strike price, you might choose to wait until closer to the end of the trading day to see how the stock price moves. If the price remains below $185, your call option will expire worthless and you will keep the premium and the shares.
  2. Close the position early: If you are worried about the potential risk of the stock price increasing beyond the strike price, and you want to keep your shares, you could consider closing your position by buying the call option back. The cost of doing so will depend on the option's current price.
  3. Rolling the option: If the stock price is hovering around the strike price and you're worried about assignment but want to continue the covered call strategy, you could consider rolling the option. This would involve buying back the current option and selling another one with a higher strike price or later expiration date.
Remember, the best course of action depends on your individual financial circumstances and risk tolerance. It's also important to keep an eye on the market and any news about Tesla that could affect its stock price. Lastly, please note that trading on expiration day can be more volatile and unpredictable, so proceed with caution.
I think it's trying to tell me to put on my big boy pants and figure it out for myself 😀

Just for fun, I asked ChatGPT 4.0 for a recommendation on how to manage a -185C expiring 5/26. Here's the response:

Given that Tesla's stock price closed at $184.47, very close to your covered call strike price of $185, it's a tricky situation as minor price fluctuations tomorrow could cause the call option to be in or out of the money by the end of the day.
Here are a few strategies to consider:
  1. Wait and see: Given that the price is close to the strike price, you might choose to wait until closer to the end of the trading day to see how the stock price moves. If the price remains below $185, your call option will expire worthless and you will keep the premium and the shares.
  2. Close the position early: If you are worried about the potential risk of the stock price increasing beyond the strike price, and you want to keep your shares, you could consider closing your position by buying the call option back. The cost of doing so will depend on the option's current price.
  3. Rolling the option: If the stock price is hovering around the strike price and you're worried about assignment but want to continue the covered call strategy, you could consider rolling the option. This would involve buying back the current option and selling another one with a higher strike price or later expiration date.
Remember, the best course of action depends on your individual financial circumstances and risk tolerance. It's also important to keep an eye on the market and any news about Tesla that could affect its stock price. Lastly, please note that trading on expiration day can be more volatile and unpredictable, so proceed with caution.
I think it's trying to tell me to put on my big boy pants and figure it out for myself 😀
Glad you asked ChatGPT and not this forum or someone would've put his time in saying the same 🤣

After closing out -185C for this Friday for a small profit on Wednesday, I opened a few -200C for next week. I would not be too sad to have these shares called away.

Also I would like to add my few cents to the Delta Discussion, @Vova:

From the book "Trading Options Greeks" by Dan Passarelli. He explains that Delta can be defined in four ways:
1. The rate of change of an option value relative to a change in the underlying stock price.
2. The derivative of the graph of an option value in relation to the stock price.
3. The equivalent of underlying shares represented by an option position.
4. The estimate of the likelihood of an option expiring in-the-money.

So consider that there are different definitions which can all be correct.

Definition 4: The final definition of delta is considered the trader’s definition. It’s mathematically imprecise but is used nonetheless as a general rule of thumb by option traders. A trader would say the delta is a statistical approximation of the likelihood of the option expiring in-the-money.