Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't expect it, yet, but wouldn't be surprised if we see 230 next week.

Thanks. A little stomach acid is always good to keep us young.

Mid-Afternoon today I BTO 10x +C255 12/22 @ $1.85 and +C270 12/8 @$0.55 for a lark with some gains money. Gonna try not to sell them too early. Target seems prolly $240’s to STC before next leg down.

Big dog move. So close in the money straddling both end with call and put one week out. How you sleep?
Screen Shot 2023-11-09 at 2.55.20 PM.png

-C220 and -C225 for 11/17 might then be a decent play for those of us sitting on longs.
Remember, all our options are just one analyst note away from getting ITM.

Or an interview by Powell or even some other Fed members.

(Also used to be a tweet by Musk - thankfully he has gone so batsh*t crazy, noone cares anymore ;) )

Remember, all our options are just one analyst note away from getting ITM.

Or an interview by Powell or even some other Fed members.

I agree with you. My game recently is to just drain short calls of theta for a few days, keeping my finger on the wind as to price action and BTC for some gains at dips or as time elapses and look to reposition on next pop. It worked really great the past set of trading days where we opened hot and faded all day. Was perfect for this and tripled my weekly take home from all the round trips.

This doesn’t always work, of course, and can leave some decent coin on the table. Like today I gleefully BTC a bunch of 11/17 -C235 and 11/24 -C250 at 215 for a couple thousand in gains, thinking that level may hold and some gains are better than none if TSLA reversed back up, where I might sell them again. Instead TSLA kept going down and now I’m out of those contracts 😝

I also limit the amount of contracts on the riskier strikes to make managing them easier if in the off chance they seem to be heading ITM.

Last edited:
Reactions: UncaNed and cbh03
So, we going up or down folks?

Looking to sell some $1calls for next week, -c230 targeted at $1.1 - needs 213 though to hit

Maybe use the proceeds to buy-back some short puts, maybe start chipping-away at the Sep 2024 -p300's, each one of those bought back liberates a Dec 2025 +p270, or roll the -p300 strikes down to -p270 3x at a time... they are playing on my nerves a bit...

Meh

Edit: thought of a better idea that gives some upside leverage while reducing the downside risk:-
  • STO 100x -c230 @$1.1
  • BTO 2x Jan 2026 +c270 @$50
  • BTC 2x Sep -p300 @$95
  • STO 2x Sep 2024 -p270 @$72 + 2x Sep 2024 -c270

Last edited:
@Max Plaid , personally I'd like to see us move up, confirm the lows, get on with directional positions for a change. I won't be around next week, don't want to pull irons from a fire without gloves. For today's expiry, some c230's came off the table, as did a few others through 240. New inflows at c215, c217.5, c215 above and below, 63k new positions. Put call ratio is now .71 , max-pain came down to 215. Seems we could move up $5 or through your needed 213, I'd still watch 207 and 205.

day2dayoi-20231110.png

@Max Plaid , personally I'd like to see us move up, confirm the lows, get on with directional positions for a change. I won't be around next week, don't want to pull irons from a fire without gloves. For today's expiry, some c230's came off the table, as did a few others through 240. New inflows at c215, c217.5, c215 above and below, 63k new positions. Put call ratio is now .71 , max-pain came down to 215. Seems we could move up $5 or through your needed 213, I'd still watch 207 and 205.

View attachment 989485
Next week is Max Pain 217.50 and it's a monthly OPEX, so stronger magnet than usual

I'm thinking to go a little more aggressive on -c220's, this on the basis that they'd be written against March +c240 burners, so not the end of the world if they go ITM, and in any case I'd roll them up and out, just looking for an SP 240 - 250 to sell off those long calls

I think the sell-off yesterday was an over reaction. I'm not going to bother to close my 230CC today. But I want to see what happens today through Tuesday open (new China numbers) before opening any new CCs for next Friday. I expect us to be back in the 220 range by Tuesday. I admire the ⚽s on some of you *cough* Max Plaid *cough*

I think the sell-off yesterday was an over reaction. I'm not going to bother to close my 230CC today. But I want to see what happens today through Tuesday open (new China numbers) before opening any new CCs for next Friday. I expect us to be back in the 220 range by Tuesday. I admire the ⚽s on some of you *cough* Max Plaid *cough*
Don't forget I have a pile of -p's written too, so any SP rise will be balanced by those

Reactions: Jim Holder
OK Shortze, game on .. Dec 8th 270 Calls for .56 lotto CT play :)
Doubled # of contracts. ... let's see what happens ....
(smallish bets ... all summer long I was milking CC's and moving monies to bank ...so just some winning money in my mind)

+Fed spooked the markets yesterday .. but we got a seasonal Santa rally , China numbers and CT to look forward to.

Last edited:
Down to $206 again. Very tempted to start buying shares in blocks of 100 or 200. Had some orders for $205 and $200 yesterday, which didn't trigger. I think I will put some new ones in.
Agreed.

I didn't have a lot of cash available so I bought some leaps (JAN2025 $300c as "lotto", DEC2025 $200c as more secure leap), to be sold when we reach $240 or $300 or so. The faster we get there the more profit, but seems unlikely (should it take a loooong time) I don't at least break even on these calls.

with SP $205.60 out of the way (in fact $205.69, which of course did not close that gap completely as always, but these 69 cents must be a sign ;-)....) the way is up. I day-traded a bit but the timing was not good enough to earn more than 100 bucks, so I thought: why not buy Calls for next week. So I did. +C212.50 for $4.67. For the rest all long positions. (P.S. Palantir keeps my portfolio more alive than ever. Holding 1:2.5 against Tesla of these (Shares and LEAPS) 30% up in a few weeks. NHS-deal coming in huge, great results, S&P inclusion: Remember those times @ TSLA)

Last edited:
Agreed.

I didn't have a lot of cash available so I bought some leaps (JAN2025 $300c as "lotto", DEC2025 $200c as more secure leap), to be sold when we reach $240 or $300 or so. The faster we get there the more profit, but seems unlikely (should it take a loooong time) I don't at least break even on these calls.
Parden my dog brain. LEAP are so expensive. I could buy more weekly or monthly option. What is the stragetic reason behind purchasing them.

Guess it’s much much lower risk and dont time decays as regular option and in theory it like getting the stock for $50-60 per share if you dont intend to hold them beyond the expiration year?