Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m sure you will win an out of court settlement IANAL

just a little poll here for my 4th job I am contemplating trading options however I was wondering how much time it was taking you guys on average daily doing so
I spend on average about 10 minutes per day (range 0-20 mins) thinking about and trading options. I have written about my strategy before, which is a moving version (I call it a funnel) of a covered strangle strategy where I sell very OTM puts and calls 1 week ahead of expiration and gradually sell more options closer to strike price (still OTM) if the SP stays in the range I am expecting. If it moves in either direction significantly, I usually close the losing position early before it balloons (and then roll it out). In my tracking, I have ended up with a profit 90% of the time and average +$10K/week.

just a little poll here for my 4th job I am contemplating trading options however I was wondering how much time it was taking you guys on average daily doing so
I’ve gotten way into it so I literally read and do it non stop with the goal of not sucking eventually. I have been sampling, but dream of developing a strategy that can be mastered, the people that do this for a while (see above) probably spend far less time than me. For me it’s really fun learning (better when price goes up). There are so many super knowledgeable people on this thread and all are very kind with their legally binding advice :cool: .

For now I’m trying to figure out how to diversify time, volatility and price without getting too complicated. Also curious how folks on the thread try to hedge for disasters? It is one area I’d like to be able to add since all I do is TSLA.

A nice start to the week pushing into the $690's. :)

The start of the week OI chart has a solid Put wall at $650 and major Call walls at $700 and $750. I don't think the $700 wall will hold but the others may have a chance.

Just after open I sold 14 x $750CC for around $3.30. My main account is light on for margin but the smaller account has plenty, so I sold 50 x 620/650 750/780 IC's @ $4.80 each. I'm looking forward to future weeks when I've hopefully got even more margin cushion to play with.;)

Last edited:
During times like this, I appreciate having a portfolio margin account even more. Many people I know were stuck with 680 calls expiring this week. What I advised them to do is to roll them all the way to November 1000 strike on a PM account. Once they get that out of the way, they can go back to selling weekly calls, hopefully with more respect to the current rally in TSLA. With weekly premium adding up, they can later close the 1000 call early on a pullback.

Are you selling straddles(I think selling is a strangle)? I was wondering about changing my ITM 672.50 CC to strangle, which I could roll at the end of the week and it gives me more credit to adjust. Right now I'd get about $11 added credit for each matching put. If the stock goes down below 672 I need to close or buy, but it means I'm now cash neutral up to about 690 and could roll out to $715 next week for credit.
A straddle is opening both a call and a put at the same strike price. Can be buying or selling.

A strangle is opening both a call and a put that are OTM. can be buying or selling.

Of course you can adjust the number of contracts as well to favor a direction.

• Helpful
Reactions: dc_h
An important component (MHO) for making that checklist is being clear about what your objective is.

My personal objective is an income / dividend from a resource that doesn't provide a cash income / dividend, but that I want to own for a long time. I need/want that income to live on in retirement. An important characteristic of a dividend paying company is that the dividend is consistent and low risk. I can accept a lot more volatility in my 'dividend' and I know this is more risky, but I'm aiming for relatively low risk.

Which also means relatively low earnings.

It's also not that important to me whether my account appreciates. It's not that I don't want appreciation - its just that the appreciation will be a function of TSLA shares moving up. I'm looking to spend the income and have account value change from shares going up (and down).

That's an important distinction that informs my own choices. Many are looking for those capital gains, such as by turning received premiums into incremental shares. I don't have an opinion about whether that is a good idea or not - its not something I've done or important to me, so I don't have experience with the dynamics.
After reading the last 20 pages, it is clear most of the traders here are much more aggressive than me. My TSLA objective is similar to yours, focusing on income/dividends and diligently managing risk. Growth is a nice bonus. Income goal is modest (maybe $2k/mth); anything beyond that is account growth. I’m aiming for making it as mechanical as possible.

My (intended) plan has two plays (tax free account, once I am offshore):
1) 4 x $25 OTM PCS -> Delta=15 & DTE=21-28. Repeat weekly
2) the Wheel -> DTE=7 & strike prices being +/- $50 OTM

Questions:
1) Is the 15 delta too unnecessarily conservative? Is 20 reasonable or a little too aggressive for an income play? Subjective, but curious of your experience…
2) I am basically layering 3-week puts every week for better premiums; I don’t think I’m adding risk to my plays, but welcome any clarifications from the more learned!
3) Do/have you consider adding a CCS to your PCS to increase income?
I am more comfortable with put spreads (mental block!?), but am thinking of adding CCS (but further OTM). In other words, an unbalanced IC.

I spend on average about 10 minutes per day (range 0-20 mins) thinking about and trading options. I have written about my strategy before, which is a moving version (I call it a funnel) of a covered strangle strategy where I sell very OTM puts and calls 1 week ahead of expiration and gradually sell more options closer to strike price (still OTM) if the SP stays in the range I am expecting. If it moves in either direction significantly, I usually close the losing position early before it balloons (and then roll it out). In my tracking, I have ended up with a profit 90% of the time and average +$10K/week.
Do you have a link to your previous post?
I’d like to read your plan!

Reactions: mannix and cbh03
Does anyone have a recommendable tool or account that provides real-time basic call and put option prices 2 years out (more or less)? If possible, please provide brands and prices. I’m stuck with public websites showing real-time share prices and 15-minute delayed option prices. Time to get real.

And here’s an interesting news tidbit: Option volume as of earlier today 1 million contracts (~100 million underlying shares) = >400% of TSLA's average daily trading volume over the past month. Particularly high volume for 070221C700 (~60k). www.nasdaq.com

Last edited:
Does anyone have a recommendable tool or account that provides real-time basic call and put option prices 2 years out (more or less)? If possible, please provide brands and prices. I’m stuck with public websites showing real-time share prices and 15-minute delayed option prices. Time to get real.

And here’s an interesting news tidbit: Option volume as of earlier today 1 million contracts (~100 million underlying shares) = >400% of TSLA's average daily trading volume over the past month. Particularly high volume for 070221C700 (~60k). www.nasdaq.com
When I'm not in my trading account at IBKR, I use the RBH app. It works even with a deactivated account.

Curious what your thought is on the volume? By the way, I like Robinhood as well to mock options.

Reactions: goinfraftw

I spend 10-30 min per day on weekly options, selling calls on green days and puts on red days. I only trade on Mon-Thu and rarely roll, just letting them assign. If my calls are assigned, then the next week I sell calls at .2 delta or .1 delta if they expired. Same for puts. If no assignments, I choose calls at .1 delta and puts at .2 delta.

Looks like it might be pretty good. Does it handle spreads? That’s the only thing I don’t have programmed into my spreadsheet yet. Though I almost never do spreads because I had a few scary moments trying to unwind/roll some that went bad.
Wingman handles spreads reasonably well. What I find is that as I open new positions I also spend a few minutes getting them correctly assigned together (these spreads). Sometimes it will add sold puts to a covered call strategy or vice versa. These are pretty easy to spot and easy to move. (Click the trade, click the Move to Existing option, and then click Here from the available open positions; or Move to New to start a new one).

It seems to do a very good job of assigning closes to open positions. Then later we manually move positions from the Open list to Closed.

It's not perfect but it makes it easy for me to get my positions created easily. It also, on spreads, tracks both the opening credit and the cumulative credit. I LOVE that.

One hint / suggestion that I've needed a month of transactions to figure out. Be liberal with creating new positions. WHen I started I thought I wanted a single never ending Covered Call in my account. Wrong :) Instead when I open a covered call, any rolls due to being near ATM get added to that position. When it finally "finishes" as a winner, then it goes into Wingman as a close for the position, and I start a new Covered call with the next sale. The CC in Wingman is a "opening to winner" history. That idea applies to any position strategy.

I tracked my ICs as a vertical put and vertical call spread, rather than an IC. They can be tracked as an IC, but I manage the 2 legs independently, so this made sense to me. It probably works better to do these as an IC, with any rolls for time or incremental credit going into the existing position. And any new positions getting a new entry in Wingman.

The easy bit I want from analysis is my realized P/L for each calendar month. That's trivially easy. There is more to analysis than that but I haven't gotten into it.

It also provides the primary reason for these sorts of tools - a note making option where you can add whatever bit of text you want for each trade. I.e. what was the entry delta, why this particular position at this time. What was the alternative and why this over that - whatever will help you. The intent is to be able to look back and have the history that enables you to figure out when its working and when its failing.

After reading the last 20 pages, it is clear most of the traders here are much more aggressive than me. My TSLA objective is similar to yours, focusing on income/dividends and diligently managing risk. Growth is a nice bonus. Income goal is modest (maybe $2k/mth); anything beyond that is account growth. I’m aiming for making it as mechanical as possible.

My (intended) plan has two plays (tax free account, once I am offshore):
1) 4 x $25 OTM PCS -> Delta=15 & DTE=21-28. Repeat weekly
2) the Wheel -> DTE=7 & strike prices being +/- $50 OTM

Questions:
1) Is the 15 delta too unnecessarily conservative? Is 20 reasonable or a little too aggressive for an income play? Subjective, but curious of your experience…
2) I am basically layering 3-week puts every week for better premiums; I don’t think I’m adding risk to my plays, but welcome any clarifications from the more learned!
3) Do/have you consider adding a CCS to your PCS to increase income?
I am more comfortable with put spreads (mental block!?), but am thinking of adding CCS (but further OTM). In other words, an unbalanced IC.
1) I don't find it unnecessarily conservative. I'm landing more at .10 - .12. The challenge here is that the lower delta isn't necessarily the more conservative choice. The problem is that while collecting very small premiums, a single strong move against you can wipe out months of income in days or hours. With somewhat larger premiums you gain a bit of a cushion for those big moves. I haven't found a balance though where I'm reasonably confident I have safe income and some cushion with extra income to handle the losses. Losses will be in the mix no matter how far OTM one goes.

2) I like that layering idea - now that you mention it I am going to think more on it. What I'm doing right now is selling current week options for winners. I.e. if a put is winning, then I'll close it late in the week and open a new put for next week. Meanwhile any positions that sneak up on ATM / ITM get rolled. I don't mind turning a 1 week option into a 2 week, or even a 4 week option. As long as the strike + credit is big enough that the new position is a better one to be assigned at. I'll also be thinking about whether I'd be better off taking assignment to run the other side of the wheel, or just paying the piper and taking the loss. All 3 are available choices. I think I'm unlikely to push out past a 4 week to expiration no matter what - I would assume its going to assignment and reevaluate it week by week to see if a new roll has appeared that makes it worthwhile to continue.

3) I am considering adding a call credit spread. The margin is already consumed by the put credit spread, so they are "free". They aren't actually free - the call credit spread opens me up to incremental risk that isn't there otherwise. For now my thinking is that I might wait until 2 or 3 days to expiration and then see about a small credit on a big spread.

My mental model on my put spreads is that they are naked puts. I'll manage them like that anyway, even though they collect a smaller premium due to the insurance put I buy for them. That's why the very large spread - keep the insurance low and manage them aggressively (rolls down, and/or taking losses early). This is the side of the puzzle I need to figure out better - it's not a direct analogue to the covered calls.

Curious what your thought is on the volume? By the way, I like Robinhood as well to mock options.
No insight beyond what has been said above = various parties trying to erect resistance to shares rising above $700 (which max pain should reflect?). As usual, the call wall could be overwhelmed by high demand for shares, but it would be surprising if we get multiple days this week of low share volume like today. Could players be holding back anticipating free rein on Friday if P&D is issued pre-market?

Reactions: buttershrimp
My current next Friday estimate is 726. I’ll update Monday. If I’m this close 3 weeks in a row I’m going to apply for a job a neuralink.

Also my price predictions are very much legally binding advice, everyone on this thread should definitely invest according to my predictions.
ok, i bet everything on black. sold puts at $720 and calls at $730. Rock-n-roll. ;)

No insight beyond what has been said above = various parties trying to erect resistance to shares rising above $700 (which max pain should reflect?). As usual, the call wall could be overwhelmed by high demand for shares, but it would be surprising if we get multiple days this week of low share volume like today. Could players be holding back anticipating free rein on Friday if P&D is issued pre-market?
premarket release would be genius because I see a selloff coming friday afternoon heading into 3 day weekend. Still sticking with my price target of 721 at close. I'm not betting on retail investors. I'm investing in hedgies riding a wave they create with their price targets. Treasury rates being this low could create a swell if it holds tomorrow. Wouldn't that be sweet.