Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weird cross with stock in downtrend. Also both sloping downward.

1711592196479.png

Credit: CantoneseCat

What do you think might explain the narrow range? It’s curious to me as well.

Could it be many TSLA tea-leaf readers are over-banging the doom trap-door drum and $170-$190 is indeed sufficient for true range given we fell from $240 already, and sometimes the data steering us in our face might be telling us something?
It tells me only fools are buying / selling options now ;)

Seriously - we may see some movement tomorrow / Monday on premiums. People tend to buy on last day for P&D (probably waiting for Troy and other forecasters last numbers). Even for ER, IV shoots up on last day.

ps :

Looks like that last bearish cross over happened when we hit the 100 low point ;)

1711592382225.png

It tells me only fools are buying / selling options now ;)

Seriously - we may see some movement tomorrow / Monday on premiums. People tend to buy on last day for P&D (probably waiting for Troy and other forecasters last numbers). Even for ER, IV shoots up on last day.
Good point re IV boost. I’ll save some contracts to write for Monday vs more tomorrow.

There seem to be two trading camps. Those that look one or two quarters ahead and think TSLA will go down more after already dropping 30% this year, and those that can look a little into the future and see Cyber ramp, FSD, and Gen 2 vehicle causing another major breakout, and are accumulating here.

I don't have a crystal ball, but I'm hoping the bottom is in.
Theres also my camp who dont look at earnings at all and just trade the chart.

What do you think might explain the narrow range? It’s curious to me as well.

Could it be many TSLA tea-leaf readers are over-banging the doom trap-door drum and $170-$190 is indeed sufficient for true range given we fell from $240 already, and sometimes the data steering us in our face might be telling us something?
Essentially expectation of low volatility. Too low to go dramatically lower, too high to go dramatically higher. Unclear what catalysts might change either.

To me, I am slightly more bullish on TSLA right now. The CT is doing well, Tesla is advertising, Tesla has mind share, Elon isn't making headlines over stupid sh!t he says, it is clear that Tesla has better prospects than Ford, GM, or Toyota in the medium-term. ...but I know all it takes to change is a single tweet...

$DJT has crazy high IV for the moment following IPO, I'm eyeing up a calendar diagonal jan 2025 +p50 @$36 / April 5th -p65 @$12

Yes, the IV on the LEAPS is pretty crazy, but the weeklies it's higher, and unlikely to settle down too soon... I would expect the SP to drop hard once Donald dumps stock to pay his legal bills, plus the links to the US elections likely to keep the stock volatile

Last edited:
$DJT has crazy high IV for the moment following IPO, I'm eyeing up a calendar diagonal jan 2025 +p50 @$36 / April 5th -p65 @$12

Yes, the IV on the LEAPS is pretty crazy, but the weeklies it's higher, and unlikely to settle down too soon... I would expect the SP to drop hard once Donald dumps sick to pay his legal bills
Not to get into politics, but I would recommend staying the hell away from that one on either side. It is something that can be manipulated with a token amount of money since there are so few tradable shares. It is like a meme stock where the company has complete control of 80% of the equation, and the remainder has to really want to cause pain more than make money.

Not to get into politics, but I would recommend staying the hell away from that one on either side. It is something that can be manipulated with a token amount of money since there are so few tradable shares. It is like a meme stock where the company has complete control of 80% of the equation, and the remainder has to really want to cause pain more than make money.

On top of that its largest shareholder has significant financial reason to ask the board, which is comprised of those exceedingly friendly to him, to waive his 6 month share lock in, allowing for a dump to come at any time.... so yeah regardless of politics wouldn't touch that company with a 45 foot pole.

Reactions: SAPharmD

Yes, the IV on the LEAPS is pretty crazy, but the weeklies it's higher, and unlikely to settle down too soon... I would expect the SP to drop hard once Donald dumps stock to pay his legal bills, plus the links to the US elections likely to keep the stock volatile
Short it to hell, mate!

I would expect the SP to drop hard once Donald dumps stock to pay his legal bills...
He is paying legal fees out of his donor's money. Fines/settlements are different, but he can stall that for at least 10 months. Since the NY appeals court gave him a reprieve on the appeal bond he doesn't need that nuclear option.

Safer to stay away from anything with those initials.

Agree 1000%.
Case study- VFS
Pl be careful with these meme stocks .

No, just no.

Mod, pls purge everything from 05:07 AM till now, other than possibly the new lowering of EPS guidance on TSLA.

I'm still in wait-n-see mode. From the 15m to the 2h timeframe, RSI has registered new overbought highs across the board. I can't short this until it attempts another spike and fails. There's a chance it just going to crash from here but slim. If the spike happens today or Monday and fails, I'll take the short but if not, I guess I'll just roll the dice on P&D. Bull/bear pivot is now 166.
1711633090315.png

TSLA has a long history of rallying for 4 days before consolidating and retracing. Sometimes it's 3 days other times it's 5, but 4 is the most common. The point isn't to expect the 4th day to be a top before a retracement. This is just another pattern that SP respects and can be used to help trade.

Here's a look at the 2nd half of 2023. Near the 4th day of each wave, you'll usually start to see some inclinations of resistance. This resistance is more obvious in the lower time frames.

3-28-24 (Aug - Dec 2023).png

Looking at the most recent rally, beginning 3/15, we can see SP retraced on 3/21 and reversed on 3/22 with SP opening at its low and rallying throughout the day. That was day 1. The shooting star formed on Tuesday, day 3, was the top of this wave. Now we're in consolidation and retracement.

3-27-24.png

SP now needs a strong reversal day and a clear support level to start its next move higher. If this comes today or Monday, expect a jump on Tuesday next week. If SP consolidates but doesn't show strong support and a reversal day before P&D we'll likely fall, at least at the open, on Tuesday. If SP falls through 172 on Monday or Tuesday, which I'm not expecting but also not ruling out, SP is likely headed lower than 160.

what chart?
Comparing Nov 2022 to today there are a lot of similarities. In both cases we had bullish RSI divergence, increasing selling volume leading up to a bottom on Nov 22nd, 2022 and Mar 15th, 2024, and a gap up the day after with increasing volume. I am using Nov 2022 as a reference for today and watching for deviations, which will occur at some point. We shouldn't assume history will repeat itself the same, but we can watch for similarities and differences.

View attachment 1030266

View attachment 1030267

This is exactly what I did leading up to Q3 earnings last year (July - Oct 2023). I noticed SP was behaving similarly to July - Oct 2019 and I used that time as a reference. In 2019, before Q3 earnings report, SP broke above its descending resistance trendline and out of the wedge it had been forming for several months. SP then gaped up on Q3 earnings.

View attachment 1030270

As a huge TSLA bull, I expected and hoped the same thing would happen in 2023. However, SP never broke above its descending resistance line pre-Q3 earnings but instead broke down below its ascending support trendline and subsequently gaped down on Q3 earnings. When I noticed this deviation and the support line break, I exited my long positions and bought puts. I made a killing after Q3 earnings.

View attachment 1030269

For the record, there are a lot of times when TSLA is not necessarily behaving like it did in the past, or not close enough to reference. I struggle with this because I'm always looking for patterns when they don't always exist.
Here's just 1 example. SP showed us before Q3 2023 earnings that it was going to fall on earnings.