Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t have any insight on price levels. I’m happy to be holding 12/26 100c as share replacements because I’m long-term bullish and they can always be rolled up and out, if necessary.

I am tempted to sell more calls against the 12/26s here based on recent price action but also wary that if we can get past Q2 (or if it surprises to the upside), we might start to get some real 8/8 FOMO. I really don’t want to cap myself whenever the next run is.

Thanks.

Re rolling your LEAPS up and out, what do you look for to decide? Is that like 6-mo before expiration to avoid theta burn, or when they become red, or something else?

Reactions: UncaNed
Took profits on SMIC already at 35% profit from Friday. Hopefully It dips again so I can resale the contracts again. Made $8 on some contracts.

Still have some room to go up and hit upper BB before retracing. That all depend on it's bigger brother NVDA.

1718643178010.png

Thanks.

Re rolling your LEAPS up and out, what do you look for to decide? Is that like 6-mo before expiration to avoid theta burn, or when they become red, or something else?
At least a year before expiration to avoid theta burn, sometimes fairly soon after the newest expirations are added. Depends what my other positions are at the time and what price action has been like.

Tesla Stock Is Soaring, but They Won’t Top This Level​

By Al Root
Follow

June 17, 2024, 1:05 pm EDT

Tesla's stock is soaring while the Nasdaq Composite naps. Investors looking for a reason should look back to Wednesday. Tesla stock was up 4% in midday trading at $184.28 while the S&P 500 and Nasdaq Composite were both up about 0.1%.

There aren’t any upgrades or downgrades to focus on. CEO Elon Musk hasn’t tweeted out anything noteworthy. That means the pay package is still the main reason responsible for Monday’s move.

This past week, shareholders re-approved Musk’s 2018 pay package, awarding the CEO some 300 million incentive-laden stock options. They had to vote again because a Delaware judge voided the deal in January, citing inadequate disclosures to investors.

Musk tweeted the result on Wednesday evening. Tesla disclosed full details Friday about the vote, which showed about 72% support for approving the award. The original proposal in 2018 passed with 73% support.

Wedbush analyst Dan Ives called the pay vote a $20 to $25 overhang on Tesla stock. If he’s right, that would put Tesla stock at about $200.

Shares aren’t there yet. Investors might be waiting for the judge to rescind her decision.

The $200 level for Tesla stock represents some resistance, according to technical stock-market analysts. Resistance refers to levels where investors have sold shares in the past. Breaking through a resistance level can signal good things ahead for a stock.

The $198 to $200 level represents “the spike high from April 29,” says CappThesis founder Frank Cappelleri. After that, investors can watch the $205 level which is the late February high, and the $209 level—the stock’s 200-day moving average. The moving average, however, declines when the stock is below that level.

With technical resistance around $200, it would take something significant for shares to top that, and one may be on the way soon. Tesla will report second-quarter deliveries in early July. Wall Street expects 450,000 deliveries, down from 466,000 a year ago, implying the second consecutive year-over-year decline for deliveries, according to FactSet. A beat might help shares top $200.

Slowing sales growth is one reason why Tesla stock, though midday trading, was down about 25% year to date.

After deliveries, Tesla’s next significant event is a robotaxi unveiling on Aug. 8 that will reveal a vehicle, and an update about the artificial-intelligence-trained autonomous-driving software. Maybe there will be some surprises in the specifics.

For the next couple of weeks, until deliveries, investors can look for shares to bob between $180 and $200.

Unless of course, Musk does, or tweets, something else dramatic.

Write to Al Root at [email protected]