Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, this didn’t age too well. Had sold these closer to $11, now $17.. I’m going to leave them out there, past tomorrow P&D. If we rally., someone MAY call the shares - which I’ve said I’m fine with for now.

Still, lesson learned is maybe sell -cc HALF, holding for a bit more $$ premium, For today, I’d be selling this same strike for $17 against the position.
The jump today surprised me. I don't see it holding tomorrow, but maybe I have blinders on. Going halfsies is only a good strategy when you lack conviction... at which point should we be asking ourselves if we are forcing the trade?

Looking to August, the question becomes what will positively impact fundamentals? Will automotive sales recover? FSD adoption rate? Robotaxi hitting production? The Semi? Will energy start to hit the exponential growth phase?

Reactions: ChiefRollo
The jump today surprised me. I don't see it holding tomorrow, but maybe I have blinders on. Going halfsies is only a good strategy when you lack conviction... at which point should we be asking ourselves if we are forcing the trade?

Looking to August, the question becomes what will positively impact fundamentals? Will automotive sales recover? FSD adoption rate? Robotaxi hitting production? The Semi? Will energy start to hit the exponential growth phase?

For August perhaps another wildcard may be unique partnerships announced + strong roadmap.

Well, this didn’t age too well. Had sold these closer to $11, now $17.. I’m going to leave them out there, past tomorrow P&D. If we rally., someone MAY call the shares - which I’ve said I’m fine with for now.

Still, lesson learned is maybe sell -cc HALF, holding for a bit more $$ premium, For today, I’d be selling this same strike for $17 against the position.
Did you ever hear a case of calls being exercised early? Very rare IMO...

For my side, sorry, not feeling this bullishness at all, so STC 40x June 2026 +c200's for +40%

Also rolled 100x -p187.50 to -p202.50 and used the proceeds BTC 10x -c187.50 -> this will be my WIP for the next weeks, unless we get a dump after P&D

Reactions: tivoboy

Yes, I’m going to not try and over think it.. frankly, I’m going to blame my motivation to sell against the whole position on my distraction with MOVING (ughh!) and on the 35K in NVDA Aug $140 calls I had sold that week. ;-). Win most, lose some - is a win.

I think we have a bit of FOMO here and fear of being on the wrong side of this when P&D comes out. I will not be surprised at ALL if we’re back in the $18x’s by EOW… this is an odd week.. short market day Weds, Thursday closed (happy birthday Amerika) and June jobs report at 05:30 FRIDAY EOW.

Last edited:
1719849466106.png

How to read "Contract Trade Statistics"

First line
Red dominates=Bearish
Green dominates=Bullish

Second line
Red dominates=Bearish
Green dominates=Bullish

Third line
Ignore (don't know if buy or sell)

Fourth line
Green dominates=Bearish
Red dominates=Bullish

Fifth line
Green dominates=Bearish
Red dominates=Bullish

1719849495800.png

For my side, sorry, not feeling this bullishness at all, so STC 40x June 2026 +c200's for +40%

Also rolled 100x -p187.50 to -p202.50 and used the proceeds BTC 10x -c187.50 -> this will be my WIP for the next weeks, unless we get a dump after P&D
It is rare, but I’ve had it happen a couple times, but ONLY after the share price, is trading at least 5-10% ABOVE the strike plus PLUS the premium of the option paid (so in this case ~ $221),, so we’d have to be something like $235-240 for someone to really want to book that gain. Could that happen in the AM tomorrow with some crazy P&D beat? Sure.

I think there’s FOMO, and some short squeezing going on at the moment.

Reactions: thenewguy1979
It is rare, but I’ve had it happen a couple times, but ONLY after the share price, is trading at least 5-10% ABOVE the strike plus PLUS the premium of the option paid (so in this case ~ $221),, so we’d have to be something like $235-240 for someone to really want to book that gain. Could that happen in the AM tomorrow with some crazy P&D beat? Sure.

I think there’s FOMO, and some short squeezing going on at the moment.
That how the M&M work. Kill the Bears then slaughter the Bull.

Maybe not this times but why give them a chance by betting on PD?
Since PD number are release 1-2hrs before opening that should provide some times to reposition after the facts.

Bought some cheap cheap NVDA call when it was dumping this morning as a side play.

I would love to see TSLA go to the Moon from here, but not willing to gamble on it yet.

Yes, I’m going to not try and over think it.. frankly, I’m going to blame my motivation to sell against the whole position on my distraction with MOVING (ughh!) and on the 35K in NVDA Aug $140 calls I had sold that week. ;-). Win most, lose some - is a win.

I think we have a bit of FOMO here and fear of being on the wrong side of this when P&D comes out. I will not be surprised at ALL if we’re back in the $18x’s by EOW… this is an odd week.. short market day Weds, Thursday closed (happy birthday Amerika) and June jobs report at 05:30 FRIDAY EOW.
Interesting to have this SP surge while Max-Pain declined from $190 Friday AM to $187.50 this AM, RSI numbers are high, and Upper Bollinger band is breached (but moving up). Doing a swing trade on 300 shares (nontaxable) at ~$210 as I still can’t imagine this SP holds through ER.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Jim Holder

What would be the advantage to someone calling the shares now, as opposed to waiting until expiry date?

I have some callsexpiring expiring 8/16 for $195, Expiring 7/05 for $197.5 ,$200 and $205 is it better to roll now or wait for the pullback. i know i have to roll 7/5 by friday this week.

Maybe not this times but why give them a chance by betting on PD?
Since PD number are release 1-2hrs before opening that should provide some times to reposition after the facts.
I’m betting on P&D creating volatility, but NOT certainty… so hopefully, I’ll just ride it out and be opportunistic with the vol.

Interesting to have this SP surge while Max-Pain declined from $190 Friday AM to $187.50 this AM, RSI numbers are high, and Upper Bollinger band is breached (but moving up). Doing a swing trade on 300 shares (nontaxable) at ~$210 as I still can’t imagine this SP holds through ER.
I think MP is being skewed - as it often is, by a LOT of legacy positions.. It’s hard to tell, I used to have a tool that would tell me that but it got turned off about a year ago and put behind a VERY $$ firewall.

• Helpful
Reactions: CHGolferJim
I think MP is being skewed - as it often is, by a LOT of legacy positions.. It’s hard to tell, I used to have a tool that would tell me that but it got turned off about a year ago and put behind a VERY $$ firewall.
Yeah sometimes, especially on a week where there's data catalysts, you have to look at the volume chart to get a better idea.

Which if you're going off of that, the middle ground is more around 205.

Reactions: Max Plaid
@tivoboy - the below are reaching ATH hitting above upper BB.

Good ideas to sell ATM call 1 month out expecting retracement?

AMZN
AAPL
MSFT
Yes, but personally I already have ~ $100K in calls for AUG/SEPT against just those three equities so I’m full position there.

Strikes about 8% higher for AUG/SEPT strikes.. they were paying ~ 3-4% for the 1-2 months.