Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The roll for credit through the midpoint in the spread assumes no tweaking of the spread size. I.e. a $100 sized spread continues to be a $100 sized spread on rolls for credit all the way into $50 ITM on the short strike.

And then you get into the management tweaking that is available. Cut the spread size in half while doubling the contract count and the $ at risk stays the same, but the net credit is higher and that means more strike improvements are available (than would otherwise be available). Or 1/4th.

And then you can add to the position size - keep the spread size and add to the contracts, with the credits on the extra contracts paying for a better strike on the already existing contracts.

Many others.

I'm with you on the call side vs. the put side. But it's the same in principle.

The difference as I see it is that we share a long term bias in the shares going up, and the puts will do better (or at least finish OTM more frequently) than calls, on a stock that is more up than down.
I should add here just in case it isn't completely clear - if I'm moving into position management by tweaking spread size and/or contract count in such a way that I'm increasing my risk (more capital at risk; more likely increasing my rate of loss on a move against), then I'm going for the max strike improvement subject to the net credit. I still want the net credit, but now I'm completely focused on lowering risk to offset all the new risk I'm taking on.

Because I'm only doing these more aggressive forms of management when, for whatever reason, I consider the position to being increasingly untenable. I'm also probably having a debate with myself about just taking the loss as my management method.

No problem - happy to take another crack at it. I know that I sometimes need to hear things different ways before I actually hear them :)

Let's approach it with an example using a comparison between the $100 spread size vs. $20 spread size. If you're sizing your overall positions using $$ then a $100k position will have 10 contracts ($100 spread size, $10k/contract) or 50 contracts ($20 spread size, $2k/contract). The $100 spread size will have a higher credit per contract - that's easy to believe as the insurance contract will be much cheaper when it's $100 away vs $20 away. But the higher credit per contract isn't 5x higher, so there is a higher total credit with the smaller spread size (All of this based on using the same total position size).

If one where taking positions based on contract count, then 10 of the big spreads will be $100k at risk vs. $20k at risk with the $20 spread size. Sizing on contract count doesn't make much sense to me. In practice I'm changing my spread sizes to balance out risk, contract count, and total at risk, with a strong bias to big spreads (say $100+ in today's IV and share price environment).

When the shares go down these two chunks of $100k at risk behave differently. With the $20 spread you go from a $100k value to $0k value over a share price move of $20 (not counting the credit - you keep the credit as an offset to the $100k loss). Good news - the $20 spread size yields a bigger credit, so the max loss is smaller! But not THAT much smaller :)

The $100 spread size goes from $100k to $0k over a $100 move in the share price - the max loss happens more slowly. This increases the time to react, increases the range for taking a partial loss, and makes for a bigger share price range in which management techniques are effective (effective = constrained to a net credit).

We've discussed elsewhere that spreads can be rolled for a net credit down to the midpoint of the two sides. Conceptually this is easy - at the midpoint there is an equal sized change in time value on a roll leaving a $0 credit (the bid/ask slippage will turn it into a small net debit). And in practice the net credit rolls get worse and worse as you approach the midpoint.

I figured this out for myself by going into the option chain and using the share price at that moment, I pretended that I had a variety of spreads that I wanted to roll. I had to do the roll math for myself - there wasn't something convenient to do it for me, but it wasn't onerous. I also tried different spread sizes. Examples - with shares at $710 I might roll a 620/720 ($10 ITM) and a 700/800 ($90 ITM) as well as a 660/760 ($50 ITM). I'd also try a 600/700 to see what a close OTM/ATM roll looks like (these are a lot more fun to contemplate :D).

Part of what informs my spread sizes today is I had a $20 spread open that saw both legs go ITM. I took the loss early before both were ITM and got out with only 40-70% losses (2 or 3 iterations, the entry and exit prices which didn't vary a lot which was why the range of actual % loss was so large). The shift from max gain / OTM, to 1/2 loss, to full loss happened in such a tight share price range that it only needed a few trading hours to happen (which is also what actually happened). If (when) that's happening on expiration day, being away from your desk and monitoring the share price can turn a max gain position into a max loss position while you're eating lunch. Ugh.

Choosing when to roll, at least the way I do spreads, is no different from choosing when to roll short puts or calls. But that's another reason I use the larger spreads - if I go $30 ITM (which I got to when the shares went down briefly to $660 last week or two) then I might not do anything (which is what I did, more or less). It depends on my conviction and what I want to defend against. If that was a 670/690 instead of the 590/690 I had, then it would have been a lot harder to sit on my hands (or roll straight out for time). In fact the straight out roll would have required a net debit, so I'd have need to roll to a 675/695 or 680/700 (worse strike) to get a net credit.

On the smaller spreads I don't have any personal rules for how and when to roll, partly because I had that 1 very bad experience and I'm not seeing any reason to create that possibility again :). No experience to use for finding those rules.

Another point I like to emphasize - I view these vertical spreads as a form of leverage we have available. The example I've been using - a $700 cash secured put will reserve $70k cash (let's assume an IRA - I know that margin accounts will have directionally similar, yet different analyses) for the contract. If I do $100 sized spreads, then I use $10k each, or I can do 7 of these instead of 1 csp. That's 7x leverage! It isn't 7x credit as I'm buying that leverage by way of the insurance part of the spread. But 7 of these might get me 4x the credit relative to the cash secured put.

A specific example - I like the $700 share price as a strong resistance. Let's sell the 600/700 put spread for 9/3 vs the 700 strike put. The 700 strike put is $8.15 (midpoint of b/a) and the 600 strike put is 1.80. In this instance I can use $70k of reserved cash to collect $815 (csp) or 7x (8.15 - 1.80) = $635 * 7 = $4445 (math might be off - approximately correct at least).

While we're at it let's compare these to the 680/700 spread of which we can sell 35!!! ($70k / $2k). The 680 put is at $4.90, so the 680/700 spread has a credit of 8.15 - 4.90 = 3.25. $325 * 35 = $11,375.

Comparing these three positions - I can use a $70k cash reservation for the next week to either earn $815, $4445, or $11,375 (assuming these go to expiration OTM). That's the reward / benefit side.

The risk side is that a full loss needs a share price move to $0, $600, or $680.

This is why I say this is leverage. And at least when I say leverage that's shorthand for "earning or losing money faster". Earning faster is good - losing faster is bad. So like fire - treat it with respect; make sure you have backup plans to handle losing situations, and ideally backups to the backups.

Personally - that insurance put at $680 plus using all of the leverage looks way too dangerous for my taste. And more important - if we're doing these every week for a year, max losses will occur. With the reduced management window, max losses will be more common. The higher credits make the max losses less painful ($59k vs $66k) though...

I've also evolved and decided that a 650/700 ($50 spread size) is also too risky for me for the same reasons. There is more time from max gain to loss, and more effective management window, but we've also been seeing $50 daily share price moves within this year. They're becoming increasingly rare but still, I'm looking for income, and an important characteristic of income is low volatility and regular results.

Actually - that $4.4k outcome using $70k backing is over 5% on the position; 2 of these ($140k backing) per week nearly accomplishes my own income objective ($10k/week) - and without selling any calls which I also do. So I don't -need- to be any more aggressive (use more leverage). This is where having your own target comes in - somewhere soon after objective is accomplished, all of my incremental thinking and resources goes into lowering risk.

With extra resources one of the first things I do is put on more contracts and go further OTM at the start of the position.
Excellent - this is an outstanding description of how the dynamics of these spreads are altered by spread size. Thank you. I bolded part of your post as it really gives a perfect, concrete summary with an example.

I personally tend to stay very OTM on my naked sold puts (and covered calls) as I am looking to generate a small % profit of my portfolio with minimal risk and stress (while still ending up being a good $ amount). I tend to sell more puts moving closer to the money as time to expiry shrinks but still keeping them at very low deltas (and thus low risk to becoming ITM).

I am thinking that I could supplement my strategy with $100 spreads so that I can sell more positions to generate higher total profit using the same amount of margin, but use less overal l margin to keep the leveraged risk lower than if I used all the margin. ie. in your example, I wouldn't go from 1 naked sold put to 7 $100 spreads - more like 3 spreads so my profit would be $1,905 instead of $815 but I would be using $30K of margin instead of $70K. Obviously my total actual loss amount would go up if they did go ITM just as my profit would go up if they stay OTM since I would be selling more puts doing the spread. I would also more likely stay more OTM like $670/570 - that gives $290 per spread vs. $410 naked. If I do 3 of them, I make $870 profit vs. $410 while using $30K margin vs. $67K. If the SP were to go below $670 I would likely roll them out in either situation but knowing how to roll the spread is the part I don't have a feel for yet (since I have never done it!).

I feel comfortable rolling my naked puts down and out - I have done that many times over the last 1.5 years or so. I have been tracking this and have found that I have been profitable 90-95% of weeks, and I have never had a large loss week. Doing rolls sometimes, however, chews up a lot of margin, and then makes subsequent weeks less profitable while I wait for the margin to clear. I think using spreads will help with this since less margin is being used up.

The final part I do not know yet is when and how to roll an ITM bull put spread (example 1 650/550). I know every situation is different but it sounds like you wait until the SP is halfway between the spread and then roll out? My question would be when you roll out (I assume 1 week out), do you usually a) roll to the same strikes with the same # of contracts (1 650/550), b) roll to a tighter spread with the halfway point the same and more contracts to get close to the same credit back (ie. 2 625/525 or something like that), and/or c) something different?

Thanks again Professor!

What delta are choosing with the BPS @adiggs?

I been doing BPS for some time but I usually do a $30-50 wide spread and I do my usual method of going 10% OTM and then a $30 wide spread which give me another 5-7% of error. The way that I management them is that if is getting close to the short call I bail out depending on how many days I have to expiration and then I open way more spread at a lower strike to cover my lost and make some money.

I am also curious about you roll them when they get ITM? do you go a week and try to better the strike?

Reactions: UltradoomY

I been doing BPS for some time but I usually do a $30-50 wide spread and I do my usual method of going 10% OTM and then a $30 wide spread which give me another 5-7% of error. The way that I management them is that if is getting close to the short call I bail out depending on how many days I have to expiration and then I open way more spread at a lower strike to cover my lost and make some money.

I am also curious about you roll them when they get ITM? do you go a week and try to better the strike?
Some questions about positioning and management. As usual NOT-ADVICE.

Your thinking on the spread size does make sense to me. My approach to spread size is different though. Using my original example of 7x$100 spreads vs. 1 short put - if that was more leverage than I wanted (and it is :D) and say that I wanted 3:1, then I have 2 alternatives (at least in my mind). I can sell 3 of the $100 spreads, leaving a bunch of unused margin (which is valuable in its own right). Alternatively I could sell 3 of the $200 spreads, using most all of the margin.

Spread size - my rationale on the larger spread using most of the margin - I'm ok with using the extra margin. And the wider spread makes all of my rolls for time better from the get-go (as the insurance side of the roll is so cheap and has so little time value influence - the overall position isn't far off from a short put). I also have easy access, mentally, to the "cut spread in half / double positions" management choice as I've already allocated the $60k for 3x$200 spreads (which would turn into 6x$100 spreads). I give up the "double the contracts" management choice (3x$100 turns into 6x$100) as I wouldn't have the resources.

And as a bonus with the larger spread size, I lower my cost on the insurance position, thereby increasing my total credit to a small but non-trivial degree. In fact at today's IV and share price, the insurance is nearly free. Increasing the leverage will increase the income a lot more than the wider spread; the wider spread gets me lower risk / more management.

I've got my first $200 spread sizes open right now - mostly been doing $100 spread sizes. I've also got some $150s and even closed some $80s this week. My actual spread size is still variable as I try different things. Whatever it is, I think of the position as being the mid point of the two strikes - that's where I consider the serious risk to be. So a 600/700 spread - I choose it with the belief that 700 will be OTM at expiration, but I also choose it because I'm comfortable with managing the position down to 650 (thus I need a 600 strike insurance for the management to be effective). I am not comfortable with managing a 680/700 down to 690 - its all just too tight.

And I'm even MORE comfortable managing a 500/700 down to 600. In this instance I might give it all the way down to 650 or 670 before I did anything at all (I'd be monitoring and considering what the rolls look like on the way - I don't have a good sense of how fast the available rolls drop to ~$0 as I -don't- expect that drop to be linear). I suppose that with study and experience I would like to be in a spread where effective management down to the midpoint is more linear than not. That will minimize the spread size, maximize available leverage, and maximize the overall value of the positions.

Right now its all rule of thumb, guesswork, feel of the moment kind of stuff.

To choose the entry, I choose the short strike in the spread in exactly the same manner as I choose the short strike for a short put. No difference here. The insurance strike is chosen based on target contracts and position size (in the IRA, that means using a very high fraction of the cash available). Nothing to add here really :)

When to roll - I have a bias towards sooner than later. I know that I get better rolls ATM or slightly ITM (or OTM) over waiting longer and Hope Real Hard (HRH) for the shares to come back. I'm just fine with taking a week off from earning income. That's easy to do when most weeks with both puts and calls winning yields about 2x target weekly income, up to 5x, in order to lower risk and stress.

My primary purpose when rolling is to gain time - I also want to lower my risk by improving the strike but this is more of a balancing act. Depending on how worried I am about the position I'll go for max strike improvement, or more of a balance between strike improvement and credit. In the right situation I'll even follow in @Lycanthrope footsteps with a straight out or even further ITM roll (rare). Keep in mind that collecting a large credit is it's own form of risk management (I call it dynamic risk management as the large credit can be used wherever it's needed to offset losses).

Yes - the emotional response to the current position and new position is important to me when I choose the target roll (I've got to sleep with it, and sleep is important to me).

Putting it all together into an example - using the option chain as it stands right now (weekend), I'd be selling the 9/3 expiration. Same for Tuesday but I'll shift to the 9/10 expiration for any sales on Wednesday or later in the week. The .25 (.26 actually) delta is 690. The 700 put is .35 delta. I'm not really interested in being that high delta on open as a general matter, but because of how strong I believe the support is at 700 that's where I'd position anyway.

The .10 delta would get me all the way down to 645, and most anywhere between the 645 and 690 strikes would be good the way I see things at this moment. First order I would view all of the <690 strikes as lowering risk, remembering that collecting big credits when available is its own form of 'dynamic risk management'.

The only direct thought I have - I don't like 5-7% window for error. The reason is that it'll work well most of the time but I suspect it'll be a problem when you get a sustained move against you. I like to plan for going at least $100 ITM over a week or 3. I'll manage that more aggressively than I did before. With only a $30 or $50 spread size, that sustained move against is going to swallow that spread size quickly.

Of course, that being said, I have 1 account with a pretty small amount of cash, where I also like to push my boundaries. I'd be likely to use all the cash on a smaller spread ($40?) there just to further beef up the weekly income there (which I'll actually be using to buy out Sep '22 covered calls I sold last year), while HRH the shares don't go badly against me.

Actually that'll be a good account to push that boundary as that'll get me experience, should the position go badly against me, for managing the wider spreads where I'm not being as aggressive. H'mm... I've got 630/700s open there right now; when those are sufficiently big winners I'm likely to try these $40 spreads :)

I like how often I'm talking through ideas in these posts, and I discover a trade I'd like to do, or talk myself into a trade I've considered and waffled on. All of these posts are really valuable to me :)

I personally tend to stay very OTM on my naked sold puts (and covered calls) as I am looking to generate a small % profit of my portfolio with minimal risk and stress (while still ending up being a good $ amount). I tend to sell more puts moving closer to the money as time to expiry shrinks but still keeping them at very low deltas (and thus low risk to becoming ITM).
I am in general a fan of this approach. There are lots of things to recommend it.

As with all things there are risks. The risk I see with staying far OTM, with the expectation that being far OTM will be good enough, is that by earning small credits along the way, one really bad move against you can easily wipe out a year or more worth of earnings (ask me how I know :D).

Somewhat tangible - if you're earning $1 credits each week and doing so reliably, you only need 1 move that moves a position up to $30 to show a break even over 1/2 of a year. It could still finish OTM (yielding another week of $1 credit) but the stress when that happens will be much less than fun.

I don't know the balance but this is where larger credits along the way can actually lower risk through larger earnings being better able to pay for losses. I think of this as dynamic risk management. @Lycanthrope is a fine example of this approach taken up to an extreme - sell ATM (or near) and use those very large credits to pay for moves against, and large credits from rolling for time to pay for more moves against. I don't mimic his trades particularly, but I follow them closely as they provide me a perspective into win rate, earnings rate, stuff like that.

And yes - his trades have been sucking me closer ATM in my own sales (that's my own decision, and I experience my own consequences).

A tangible instance - the drop to $660 last week lowered my August realized P/L by 1/4th. That wasn't fun, but it was also easy to stomach for two reasons.

The first is that I had accumulated big enough earnings in week 1 so that the average of the 2 was still well above average (yay).

The second was that the roll for time (some strike improvement, some further ITM for big credits) worked out the next week, and turned the average after 3 weeks that much better. The 2nd week badness and the 3rd week goodness averaged out to overall goodness (where overall goodness was something like 2x of my minimum target).

I had the choice when the shares dropped down to 660 to manage the position by taking the losses and still being ahead of target for the month, and that was a function of higher credits when the positions were winning (thus dynamic risk management; and higher income when paying for losses isn't needed :D). I like having a variety of good backup choices available.

I am in general a fan of this approach. There are lots of things to recommend it.

As with all things there are risks. The risk I see with staying far OTM, with the expectation that being far OTM will be good enough, is that by earning small credits along the way, one really bad move against you can easily wipe out a year or more worth of earnings (ask me how I know :D).

Somewhat tangible - if you're earning $1 credits each week and doing so reliably, you only need 1 move that moves a position up to $30 to show a break even over 1/2 of a year. It could still finish OTM (yielding another week of $1 credit) but the stress when that happens will be much less than fun.

I don't know the balance but this is where larger credits along the way can actually lower risk through larger earnings being better able to pay for losses. I think of this as dynamic risk management. @Lycanthrope is a fine example of this approach taken up to an extreme - sell ATM (or near) and use those very large credits to pay for moves against, and large credits from rolling for time to pay for more moves against. I don't mimic his trades particularly, but I follow them closely as they provide me a perspective into win rate, earnings rate, stuff like that.

And yes - his trades have been sucking me closer ATM in my own sales (that's my own decision, and I experience my own consequences).

A tangible instance - the drop to $660 last week lowered my August realized P/L by 1/4th. That wasn't fun, but it was also easy to stomach for two reasons.

The first is that I had accumulated big enough earnings in week 1 so that the average of the 2 was still well above average (yay).

The second was that the roll for time (some strike improvement, some further ITM for big credits) worked out the next week, and turned the average after 3 weeks that much better. The 2nd week badness and the 3rd week goodness averaged out to overall goodness (where overall goodness was something like 2x of my minimum target).

I had the choice when the shares dropped down to 660 to manage the position by taking the losses and still being ahead of target for the month, and that was a function of higher credits when the positions were winning (thus dynamic risk management; and higher income when paying for losses isn't needed :D). I like having a variety of good backup choices available.
I agree with you on there always being risks. My usual naked sold puts I sell 1-1.5 weeks out range between $2-5, not $1. I usually sell 10 at a time. I do what others do here as well and try to time selling the puts when the SP seems down (often Friday afternoons) and sell OTM covered calls when the SP seems up (often Mondays mornings). I then supplement through the rest of the week by selling more OTM puts and calls, usually $0.75-$2 each.

The way I try to avoid the "big loss" to wipe out my gains is to quickly close and roll puts before they get ITM (or sometimes wait until they are just barely ITM). Even if I think the SP will rebound, I don't want to get caught holding the sold puts as the losses mount. I can roll out 1-3 weeks at a lower strike price and either break even or generate a little more credit. It does tie up margin longer than what I want, but I try not to use more than 50% of my margin anyways so I always have the cushion. I then wait to see if the SP stabilizes for a few days (doesn't keep going down) before opening any fresh positions. There is still risk, of course, if the SP keeps falling and I have to keep rolling, but I would just stop selling any new positions and baby the losing ones until eventually (hopefully), TSLA would find its bottom. If TSLA cratered for some reason, the losses on my sold puts would be miniscule compared to the paper losses on my core position anyways. Even 2 weeks ago when TSLA dropped hard and I had to roll, my loss at the time of the roll was still less than the last 3 weeks of profit from selling puts and calls because I acted quickly and didn't HLH (I like that) for the bounce even though I was expecting it.

My limitation for spreads is that I have to phone my broker to do them. I don't mind for making them but if I want to act quicjly on a roll, there is no guarantee that I can reach someone quickly on the phone. It is a limitation of the brokerage (iTrade in Canada) and makes me consider switching but it is a nuisance and time-consuming to change. I would also have to close out all my sold positions since i assume there would be at least a few days where I wouldn't be able to do anything.

Each to their own, but I'm personally not a fan of large spread sizes. For me that's leaving a lot of money on the table using up margin to cover a wider price range than the balance of probabilities suggests will actually happen. I prefer to closely analyse the options OI and stock trading ranges, technical resistances and upcoming news/events to be able to pick my ranges with more precision (while still retaining a buffer). Keeping expiry dates no more than a few days out also helps in minimising the risk that the share price will move beyond your target range and gives a clearer picture of the expiry target. Plus the increased profits gained can build a decent buffer to guard against an occasional time when things don't work out.

There are a few other benefits of a tighter spread range, say $20-40. While max loss can be reached more quickly, the total quantum of that loss is much less than with a larger spread. Once the lower bought Put comes into play it provides protection and stops further losses if the share price continues to fall below that point. Rolling spreads in this position can be tricky but I feel I've had a lot of experience rolling these at this point. Rolling early helps a lot as time decay affects each leg differently and it can be very hard to roll without a debit if left later in the week. A tighter spread also allows the spread range to be more easily expanded or adjusted to get a better roll for credit. As long as there's enough margin buffer available then any spread can be turned into any other option with an equivalent monetary value. This can allow losing spreads to be rolled into an alternative position that can close out sooner without having to take a loss.

There are risks with all options trading and spreads introduce another layer of risk due to some of the differences in how they behave. My not advice would be for people to play with different spread ranges and distances from ITM and develop a feel for what they are comfortable with trading. Noting that any strategy should be able to evolve based on the risk and circumstances of any given week or period.

Last edited:
There are a few other benefits of a tighter spread range, say $20-40. While max loss can be reached more quickly, the total quantum of that loss is much less than with a larger spread.

I think this part is a little misleading, because normally (but of course not always) you’re working with fixed size cash or margin backing, and therefore you’re likely to sell 2-5x more contracts at $20-40 spread than $100 spread, so the smaller loss is multiplied by the more losing contracts.

Which then leads me to wonder about a spread of spreads… a couple small ones to give a little pop (but limited losses) combined with some bigger ones for more stability. I don’t think I could go there due to too much time not paying attention to the short term movements… but maybe some day. :)

Reactions: InTheShadows
I think this part is a little misleading, because normally (but of course not always) you’re working with fixed size cash or margin backing, and therefore you’re likely to sell 2-5x more contracts at $20-40 spread than $100 spread, so the smaller loss is multiplied by the more losing contracts.
I was simply comparing a small to large spread on an individual contract basis. Of course there is the ability to use the additional cash or margin backing to sell a larger number of the smaller spreads. I personally prefer to leave a greater proportion of that backing free to act as a buffer for any movements in the wrong direction and to help in repairing any positions that need it.

• Informative
Reactions: adiggs
Another Tesla auto drive accident in the news. Will this effect anything Monday ?
I don't think so but who knows?

Tesla on part-automated drive system slams into police car​

Published August 28, 2021 • Updated 59 mins ago​

A Tesla using its partially automated driving system slammed into a Florida Highway Patrol cruiser Saturday on an interstate near downtown Orlando and narrowly missed its driver, who had pulled over to assist a disabled vehicle.

Earlier this month, the U.S. government opened a formal investigation into Tesla's Autopilot driving system after a series of similar collisions with parked emergency vehicles.

The trooper whose cruiser was hit shortly before 5 a.m. Saturday had activated his emergency lights and was on the way to the disabled vehicle when the Tesla hit the cruiser's left side and then collided with the other vehicle, highway patrol spokeswoman Lt. Kim Montes told The Orlando Sentinel.

The report said the 27-year-old man in the Tesla and the driver of the disabled vehicle suffered minor injuries and the trooper was unhurt.

Tesla did not immediately respond to an email sent to its press address.

Autopilot has frequently been misused by Tesla drivers, who have been caught driving drunk or even riding in the back seat while a car rolled down a California highway.

The electric vehicle maker uses a camera-based system, a lot of computing power, and sometimes radar to spot obstacles, determine what they are, and then decide what the vehicles should do. But researchers say it has had trouble with parked emergency vehicles and perpendicular trucks in its path.

..............​

So I started studying BPSs and I can see the potential for making huge gains, but also lowing everything...

I made an example 1000x 9/3 +p600/-p640 - gives $107k in premiums, 99.1% probability of profits, but if it does go wrong, nearly $4m in losses

So easy to see how you can make a killing with these, but also lose everything in one go

Edit: got my +'s and -'s the wrong way around...

Last edited:
Finally had a few hours away from the kids this weekend and wanted to report on my week.

Everyone has been asking about % gain vs their account size. My gains last week were slightly above average at 2.5%. I typically do about 1.5-3%, but I've had one or two bad weeks that were negative by about that amount too. Easily offset by the good weeks, and I also think I've learned my lessons and won't have as many of those going forward.

Most of my trades from last week were profitable; I closed out my 700c on Thursday, thankfully. I probably could have made a little more on Friday, but I also closed out some puts in the morning because I didn't trust the uncertainty around JP's speech in the morning.

On Thursday and Friday morning, I put on a lot of BPS:
STO 9/3 675p/655p @ $2; this is going to be the lower leg of an IC I'll open on Monday.
STO 9/3 690p/670p @ $4; this is going to be the lower leg of an IC I'll open on Monday.
STO 9/3 705p/655p @ $10.71
STO 9/10 710p/660p @ $12
STO 9/24 710p/660p @ $16.41; this is 32% ROI if the SP is over 710 in a month. I'll still be profitable above 693ish.

I've been wanting to put a few monthly options into play, since they benefit from theta decay so massively once they've been on for a while, and I think I sleep easier knowing there's plenty of time on at least some of my options if the stock goes in the opposite direction I expect it to. I'll sell a lot of calls next week once I figure out what we're looking like Monday or Tuesday. I agree with @Chenkers about watching call and put walls and trying to sell around those. I also pay attention to technicals, and think volatility tends to be lower later in the week while still having plenty of premiums.

I also agree here:
There are a few other benefits of a tighter spread range, say $20-40. While max loss can be reached more quickly, the total quantum of that loss is much less than with a larger spread.

For an IC with a $20 spread and $5 credit, you're only risking 75% of your capital. So one bad week wipes out just 3 good weeks, which is pretty acceptable to me. Especially since you can also try to manage the bad weeks, and nothing says you have to hold to the bitter end if you think things are going to go against you.

So I started studying BPSs and I can see the potential for making huge gains, but also lowing everything...

I made an example 1000x 9/3 +p600/-p640 - gives $107k in premiums, 99.1% probability of profits, but if it does go wrong, nearly $4m in losses

So easy to see how you can make a killing with these, but also lose everything in one go

Edit: got my +'s and -'s the wrong way around...

I have a somewhat similar BPS (+p600/-p650) this upcoming Fri :
1630246558581.png

Opened 10 days ago. What i have learned the last 1-2 months is that on a fast morning dip, open a BPS 1-3 weeks out to get nicer prem. In this case, it's (22-8)/2=7/wk with no babysitting headaches. I decided on 650 because maxpain was higher and delta was low (11?). Bonus is the IV collapse for a quick 89% gain in half the time.

If this position is still 'safe' by Wed/Thur, i will open a BCS with the same 50 spread, maybe -c750/+c800 due to 10 delta. It becomes an IC with no additional margin usage and the calls are gravy.

(Newbie's not advice and works if you're bullish)

Just an incredible amount of knowledge being dropped this week. Thank you to all for taking the time to post your strategies, especially adiggs.

My only .02 to add to the spread discussion is the added benefit is black swan protection. I have been thinking a lot about this remote (but non-zero) possibility, that we could wake up and some huge event has triggered a 200pt drop in the SP. Knowing that there is a hard floor to my risk helps me sleep better at night with larger open positions.