Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, changed my mind and BTC my 710, still made about $9/shr profit. Want to wait till Monday before deciding on any new cc's.

Seems to be hard to play the wheel, I've been selling cc's for over 6 months and haven't lost any shares yet, so never got a chance to try selling puts. Maybe I'm not being aggressive enough.
When I started the thread, I thought that the actual Wheel was going to be important to me.

I've discovered along the way, as have most of the other participants, that I don't actually like turning the wheel. In my case I took a single call contract and got really aggressive with it. Took me a few weeks (no rolls - just kept finishing OTM!) before I got assigned.

I wanted to see the mechanics of being assigned (account updates over the weekend were nowhere close to as fast as I thought they would have been).

And then I started selling a put using that cash, also highly aggressive, with the intent to move the cash back into shares.

It all worked out and I made money on the round trip. And I didn't like it at all. I think that turning cash into shares (put assignment) and then back into shares (call assignment) would be fine for me emotionally. But I know for certain that turning shares into cash (call assignment) and then back to shares - I was an emotional wreck and it was a trivial position.

I was constantly thinking about what-if; what-if now is the time for the shares to take off and I'm left selling puts in their wake (which will be doing well, but not as well as the shares)? It was emotional - not logical. I also wasn't as clear then about my own objective being income over appreciation. The point stood though - the actual wheel wasn't good for me :)

BUT I do consider turning the wheel to be one of my backup management strategies. I haven't used it, so its clearly pushed pretty far into the background.

In practice I believe that my real Wheel is more of a monthly thing. As I'm selling calls into a rising share price, I'll have some of them lined up to be ITM. If the share price is relatively high, then I can pull an ARKK and sell -some- of those calls / shrink the number of calls I'm selling each week by turning them into cash (aka - sell high).

As I'm selling puts into a decreasing share price, some of those puts will line up to finish ITM, and again I can pull an ARKK and take assignment on some of those in order to increase share count (aka buy low). In practice on these, as I'm selling put spreads instead of puts, I'll just take some of the cash I'm using to sell put spreads, buy some more leaps with it in order to increase the # of calls I can sell.

The point is that I will be shifting the balance / # of calls and puts I'm selling over time as the share price goes up and down. That's a form of the wheel, right!?!

When I started the thread, I thought that the actual Wheel was going to be important to me.

I've discovered along the way, as have most of the other participants, that I don't actually like turning the wheel. In my case I took a single call contract and got really aggressive with it. Took me a few weeks (no rolls - just kept finishing OTM!) before I got assigned.

I wanted to see the mechanics of being assigned (account updates over the weekend were nowhere close to as fast as I thought they would have been).

And then I started selling a put using that cash, also highly aggressive, with the intent to move the cash back into shares.

It all worked out and I made money on the round trip. And I didn't like it at all. I think that turning cash into shares (put assignment) and then back into shares (call assignment) would be fine for me emotionally. But I know for certain that turning shares into cash (call assignment) and then back to shares - I was an emotional wreck and it was a trivial position.

I was constantly thinking about what-if; what-if now is the time for the shares to take off and I'm left selling puts in their wake (which will be doing well, but not as well as the shares)? It was emotional - not logical. I also wasn't as clear then about my own objective being income over appreciation. The point stood though - the actual wheel wasn't good for me :)

BUT I do consider turning the wheel to be one of my backup management strategies. I haven't used it, so its clearly pushed pretty far into the background.

In practice I believe that my real Wheel is more of a monthly thing. As I'm selling calls into a rising share price, I'll have some of them lined up to be ITM. If the share price is relatively high, then I can pull an ARKK and sell -some- of those calls / shrink the number of calls I'm selling each week by turning them into cash (aka - sell high).

As I'm selling puts into a decreasing share price, some of those puts will line up to finish ITM, and again I can pull an ARKK and take assignment on some of those in order to increase share count (aka buy low). In practice on these, as I'm selling put spreads instead of puts, I'll just take some of the cash I'm using to sell put spreads, buy some more leaps with it in order to increase the # of calls I can sell.

The point is that I will be shifting the balance / # of calls and puts I'm selling over time as the share price goes up and down. That's a form of the wheel, right!?!

Sounds more like the lever.

I’m also more comfortable with shares and short calls vs. cash and short puts - because if the SP jumps, you can ride it up by rolling calls, whereas sold puts you take your premium and you’re out. And since this is TSLA, we know the SP is going to jump sooner or later.

Reactions: adiggs
I need to dwell on this...

This is exactly where I am too. I am comfortable and confident selling naked puts and covered calls each week for nice profit and knowing when and how to close/roll to avoid a big loss. The iron condor opens up a lot more potential for greater profit, but of course also more risk if I sell many more units as margin will allow compared to what I am currently doing. I am going to go heavy into analysis of these types of spreads this weekend.
I did my dwelling a few months back which has led me to where I'm at (doing the BPS). This is also why I've tried a variety of spread sizes - as low as $10, got crushed on some $20's, and have landed at $100 (and even thinking of $200) spread sizes. Now I'm into the tinkering phase.

At the extreme you can think of a $700 strike short put as a 0/700 put spread. Which isn't helpful itself, but it starts getting at how a really big spread size behaves like a short put.

One thing that I didn't understand (until the big position with the 40-70% loss) is that spreads are not as manageable as puts, but they can be nearly as manageable. Basically they retain their manageability through 1/2 of the spread size, where manageability is you can roll for time for a net credit, even if there is no strike improvement available. Past the 1/2 way point you'll be paying a net debit to keep the strike the same.

And that's guiding me to at least the $100 spreads, and maybe more like $150 or $200. A $200 spread size means I have effective management through the $100 ITM. That sounds awfully safe to me. Admittedly the quality of the management is getting pretty poor as you get close to $100 ITM, but that's true on a short put as well.

On thing that I learned this week is that by taking profits early, essentially timing sales and buys, it reduced my stress significantly, but still allowed plenty of profit. For example, I rolled -c715/720/725s to 9/03 very early in the week at ~50% gain, then bought back those yesterday clipping another 50%. Plus, I’m out all day today and have the opportunity to sell again next Monday, no stress and still able to trade if today’s prices looked good.
This fast / early profit thing has been killing it for me too. I've had even $5 daily share price moves get me to 1 day / 30-50% profit levels.

Thus the pattern I'm aiming for (and failing at this week :D).

Shares up - sell calls and close puts.
Shares down - close calls and sell puts.

A big part of making this work is being ready to close a call today, and be ready to not sell a new call until tomorrow or even a few days later. This is hard for me as its opposite of the pattern I've been trying to establish for most of a year. Amazing how quickly I weaned myself off of that though this month (a 4.5% week will do that).

I recommend doing what I did, which is opening more BPS then you are probably comfortable with, having the stock immediately move 10% against you in two days, having your butthole pucker for like a week, but after rolling things forward and riding it out, having a nice chuckle at your well earned gains.

... not advice
I was expecting "ask me how I know" :).

Speaking of which - this is about as close to ADVICE as I'm willing to provide. This being The Wheel thread and all, plus we're focused on selling options - both puts and calls - if you haven't already, take 1 contract worth through the Wheel.

See the mechanics for yourself, and experience the emotions that go along with the position. You might find that its like way better than I painted it to be. At the very least you'll know the dynamics from at least one experience with it, and have some idea of what you're getting into should you do this at scale at some other point.

I did my dwelling a few months back which has led me to where I'm at (doing the BPS). This is also why I've tried a variety of spread sizes - as low as $10, got crushed on some $20's, and have landed at $100 (and even thinking of $200) spread sizes. Now I'm into the tinkering phase.

At the extreme you can think of a $700 strike short put as a 0/700 put spread. Which isn't helpful itself, but it starts getting at how a really big spread size behaves like a short put.

One thing that I didn't understand (until the big position with the 40-70% loss) is that spreads are not as manageable as puts, but they can be nearly as manageable. Basically they retain their manageability through 1/2 of the spread size, where manageability is you can roll for time for a net credit, even if there is no strike improvement available. Past the 1/2 way point you'll be paying a net debit to keep the strike the same.

And that's guiding me to at least the $100 spreads, and maybe more like $150 or $200. A $200 spread size means I have effective management through the $100 ITM. That sounds awfully safe to me. Admittedly the quality of the management is getting pretty poor as you get close to $100 ITM, but that's true on a short put as well.

This fast / early profit thing has been killing it for me too. I've had even $5 daily share price moves get me to 1 day / 30-50% profit levels.

Thus the pattern I'm aiming for (and failing at this week :D).

Shares up - sell calls and close puts.
Shares down - close calls and sell puts.

A big part of making this work is being ready to close a call today, and be ready to not sell a new call until tomorrow or even a few days later. This is hard for me as its opposite of the pattern I've been trying to establish for most of a year. Amazing how quickly I weaned myself off of that though this month (a 4.5% week will do that).

I was expecting "ask me how I know" :).
One thing I’ve realized in my comparison between short put and BPS is that really a short put is not like a 0/700 spread because you most definitely cannot roll it for credit all the way down to the halfway point. So then I got to wondering about large spreads in general and if you could still roll those for credit to the halfway point. I don’t have an answer, but it seems to me that there would be no point in having a spread large enough that you run out of the ability to roll for credit before you hit the midpoint.

Last edited:
Reactions: CrunchyJello
I recommend doing what I did, which is opening more BPS then you are probably comfortable with, having the stock immediately move 10% against you in two days, having your butthole pucker for like a week, but after rolling things forward and riding it out, having a nice chuckle at your well earned gains.

... not advice
I went through the same last week. I sold an IC, it moved down against my put side ITM at MAX LOSS. I closed out the call side leg, I sold aggressive credit spreads, once I gained 50% of my loss back through aggressive call selling, i held on to my ITM BPS and got lucky with 1 day of 4%, brought me up enough to be mid way and I closed overall for a net profit. I went from $7.9 max loss to $2 profit. That was a very interesting week for mechanics.

One thing I’ve realized in my comparison between short put and BPS is that really a short put is not like a 0/700 spread because you most definitely cannot roll it for credit all the way down to the halfway point. So then I got to wondering about large spreads in general and if you could still roll those for credit to the halfway point. I don’t have an answer, but it seems to me that there would be no point in having a spread large enough that you run out of the ability to roll for credit before you hit the midpoint.
When I tested this out with the option chain a week or so back I found that the rolls at the midpoint between short and long strikes, when using the midpoint of the bid/ask, were for $0. So the bid/ask will turn an exactly midpoint roll into a small debit - hard to get around that.

I haven't tested that against more positions - the logic behind why the midpoint being a ~0 roll is sound to me - the time value between the two positions should be pretty close to equal. Or I suppose more precisely the increase in time value when you move out in time should be pretty equal. I didn't test at other spread sizes than $100 and $200 but I believe it generalizes for the reason just mentioned.

Thinking about the short put as a 0/700 spread is really about the math or leverage of the position. Then again when you reach $350 ITM on that 700 strike put your rolls will be for that 0 / bid-ask rounding error sized roll. And I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it takes a net debit (due to the bid/ask spreads) to roll puts that are more than $350 ITM (700 strike). The truly deep ITM positions like that though - I'll cheerfully agree that they behave differently as a short put over an actual put spread :)

Reactions: UltradoomY
I went through the same last week. I sold an IC, it moved down against my put side ITM at MAX LOSS. I closed out the call side leg, I sold aggressive credit spreads, once I gained 50% of my loss back through aggressive call selling, i held on to my ITM BPS and got lucky with 1 day of 4%, brought me up enough to be mid way and I closed overall for a net profit. I went from $7.9 max loss to $2 profit. That was a very interesting week for mechanics.
An educational experience and profitable. Being paid to learn - what could be better!?!

When I tested this out with the option chain a week or so back I found that the rolls at the midpoint between short and long strikes, when using the midpoint of the bid/ask, were for $0. So the bid/ask will turn an exactly midpoint roll into a small debit - hard to get around that.

I haven't tested that against more positions - the logic behind why the midpoint being a ~0 roll is sound to me - the time value between the two positions should be pretty close to equal. Or I suppose more precisely the increase in time value when you move out in time should be pretty equal. I didn't test at other spread sizes than $100 and $200 but I believe it generalizes for the reason just mentioned.

Thinking about the short put as a 0/700 spread is really about the math or leverage of the position. Then again when you reach $350 ITM on that 700 strike put your rolls will be for that 0 / bid-ask rounding error sized roll. And I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it takes a net debit (due to the bid/ask spreads) to roll puts that are more than $350 ITM (700 strike). The truly deep ITM positions like that though - I'll cheerfully agree that they behave differently as a short put over an actual put spread :)
I got the impression you could likely roll for credit until it reaches the halfway point between the strikes, but that it may also take widening the spread or other tweaking? I am sure there are other clever methods to deal with this such as a ratio spread. The BCS scares me more than convertible BPS. Anyone got any tips if that happens?

I never liked the wheel. I am so thankful you created this thread because what it has turned into is absolutely amazing. IMO this is the best place for investment not advice on the web. I thought I knew the best way to theta invest and everyone here has taken that to the next level and my mind is completely 🤯!!!

Speaking of which - this is about as close to ADVICE as I'm willing to provide. This being The Wheel thread and all, plus we're focused on selling options - both puts and calls - if you haven't already, take 1 contract worth through the Wheel.

See the mechanics for yourself, and experience the emotions that go along with the position. You might find that its like way better than I painted it to be. At the very least you'll know the dynamics from at least one experience with it, and have some idea of what you're getting into should you do this at scale at some other point.
Actually one of my best experiences, and most liberating, was letting 16x cc702.50's get exercised on 4/30, which landed a fat wedge of cash into my account - a "real" millionaire, not just on paper! Not only did this kick off the intensive put selling I've been doing since, but makes rolling big positions really easy compared to where I was before - feels like a much healthier position to be in

Learning about this is golden. All those months that I rolled my short puts that went against me for next to nothing waiting for the stocks to recover can now be mitigated with this info. Last week someone (it may have been you) mentioned about decreasing the spread size so you can roll it down and increase the number of contracts to get out of the trade with out having to wait for the stock to recover. Holy cow! That is so genius.

This is probably one of the most important concepts one can have for repairing short puts/spreads that go against you. Then you don’t have to wait months watching your capital tied up trying to get out of a bad trade.

might even test this with one of the I dare you put spreads next week.

I’m sitting on a lot of cash this weekend because I closed some out spreads I opened Wednesday because they realized over 1/2 their potential. And I didn’t have the guts to sell any lcc yesterday.

I am pretty sure that you cannot roll a let’s say $200 ITM put for credit but I could be wrong!

Last edited:
Btw since there's been a lot of talk about percentage return on defined vs undefined risk trades, I figure I'll put this out there:

Setup
- Choosing ATM to keep things simple
- Percentages show return on capital (return on margin required)
- All are weekly contracts

Strategies
ATM Iron Fly (5pt wide): ---------- ~1000%
ATM Put Spread (10 pt wide): ----- ~50%
ATM Put Spread (100 pt wide): --- ~10%
ATM CC: ------------------------- ~1-2% (higher if using Portfolio Margin)

The way I look at it is the return you get is a function of the probability of profit and probability of max loss:
- Iron Fly has less than 10% probability of profit and a high probability of max loss so it's really more like a lottery ticket.
- CC's and naked puts have low return because they have a near-zero probability of max loss (so they're easily managed).
- As you increase the width of the strikes of a Put Spread you reduce the probability of max loss, so the return drops accordingly.

TLDR: Options are super flexible so depending on the setup and your confidence in the trade you can pick the right strategy for the moment and for your risk tolerance

@adiggs: I went back a few pages but couldn't find a good explanation for why you choose a $100 bull put spread vs. a smaller one like $20. I think you explained this before so I apologize for asking again but I couldn't find it.

I understand that the larger spread uses up more margin (so fewer # of spreads possible for an amount of margin), results in higher profit per spread, and has a higher maximum loss.

What I am specifically trying to learn is how you choose to roll a losing position when the spread is $100 vs. $20. I remember you saying that the larger spread gives advantages in this situation - maybe something to do with being able to tighten the spread on the new rolled position?

I also don't fully understand the importance of the halfway point being net zero on the roll? Does that mean that for a $700/600 spread, if the SP goes to $650, you can roll it out for net zero credit vs. for a $700/680 spread, this could only be done at $690?

Thanks for your analyses here - I feel like we are all learning together as we go. This thread is way more valuable than any online course!

@adiggs: I went back a few pages but couldn't find a good explanation for why you choose a $100 bull put spread vs. a smaller one like $20. I think you explained this before so I apologize for asking again but I couldn't find it.

I understand that the larger spread uses up more margin (so fewer # of spreads possible for an amount of margin), results in higher profit per spread, and has a higher maximum loss.

What I am specifically trying to learn is how you choose to roll a losing position when the spread is $100 vs. $20. I remember you saying that the larger spread gives advantages in this situation - maybe something to do with being able to tighten the spread on the new rolled position?

I also don't fully understand the importance of the halfway point being net zero on the roll? Does that mean that for a $700/600 spread, if the SP goes to $650, you can roll it out for net zero credit vs. for a $700/680 spread, this could only be done at $690?

Thanks for your analyses here - I feel like we are all learning together as we go. This thread is way more valuable than any online course!
Not adiggs, but a larger spread has a better break even price at the cost of using more margin. Consider the extremes of this, a 700/699 spread vs a naked 700 put. The breakeven on the 700/699 is likely 699.5 whereas the breakeven on the naked put is like 680

I got the impression you could likely roll for credit until it reaches the halfway point between the strikes, but that it may also take widening the spread or other tweaking? I am sure there are other clever methods to deal with this such as a ratio spread. The BCS scares me more than convertible BPS. Anyone got any tips if that happens?
The roll for credit through the midpoint in the spread assumes no tweaking of the spread size. I.e. a $100 sized spread continues to be a $100 sized spread on rolls for credit all the way into $50 ITM on the short strike.

And then you get into the management tweaking that is available. Cut the spread size in half while doubling the contract count and the $ at risk stays the same, but the net credit is higher and that means more strike improvements are available (than would otherwise be available). Or 1/4th.

And then you can add to the position size - keep the spread size and add to the contracts, with the credits on the extra contracts paying for a better strike on the already existing contracts.

Many others.

I'm with you on the call side vs. the put side. But it's the same in principle.

The difference as I see it is that we share a long term bias in the shares going up, and the puts will do better (or at least finish OTM more frequently) than calls, on a stock that is more up than down.

I am pretty sure that you cannot roll a let’s say $200 ITM put for credit but I could be wrong!
I've gone about $160 ITM and could roll for a trivial credit. You might be using a 4 week roll instead of 1 week when you're that far ITM.

In principle there has to be a credit as you're trading in a worn out contract with nearly no time value ($200 ITM with 1 week to go for instance) for a new shiny contract with 5 weeks to go. There will be at least SOME incremental time value available, even if it isn't much. That incremental time value is the net credit.

And yeah - I got stuck that deep ITM for like 4 months before I started internalizing some of the stuff others were talking about and figured out how to make use of that in my own situation to get out from under it.

Learning about this is golden. All those months that I rolled my short puts that went against me for next to nothing waiting for the stocks to recover can now be mitigated with this info. Last week someone (it may have been you) mentioned about decreasing the spread size so you can roll it down and increase the number of contracts to get out of the trade with out having to wait for the stock to recover. Holy cow! That is so genius.

This is probably one of the most important concepts one can have for repairing short puts/spreads that go against you. Then you don’t have to wait months watching your capital tied up trying to get out of a bad trade.
Learning about this has been golden for me too. Maybe (probably) more valuable than gold in fact :)

But I do want to throw something in here as well. There is no such thing as a free lunch, or a risk free improvement to a situation, etc.. If you can't see the risk in halving the spread size while doubling the # of contracts (same capital at risk), then one needs to peer closer (and ask questions, and read, and etc.. -- if you can't see the risk / cost side of the equation, keep looking until you find it before investing).

In this case the rate of loss if the shares keep moving against you is (in principle) doubled. Cutting a $100 spread size down to $50 means you achieve max loss in half the time ($50 share price move vs. $100 share price move). You also reduce the net credit management range from $50 ITM down to $25 ITM.

MOST of the time you're in this situation in the first place due to a large move against that is about to regress and come back. So the aggressive management works out well.

Which is just another way of saying that it works well until it doesn't. The big problem here is that if one is earning 1-3% / week (for example) and then a 50% loss comes along, then that'll offset 15-50 weeks of earnings. These big sustained rallies that don't regress are rare. But we only need 1 rare event to wipe out a year or more worth of results.

I bring this up because at least for me, these rare events are more important for me to be resilient to, than to getting my weekly results from 2% to 5% (or something). I've had a 4% week recently - that was awesome. It was followed by a flat to down week on that big drop down (which was promptly averaged out into 2 good weeks the following week). The issue on that big drop down - was that the start of a sustained move down or just another few steps in the typical (semi) random walk?

That's why the big hunk of the ITM position I got into was rolled from 675 down to 660 - the credit that paid for that strike improvement didn't earn me anything but peace of mind when the position resolved profitably. That peace of mind came from knowing if it was the start of a sustained move down, then I was $15 strike better off than without it.

After all - I now have a reasonably strong upward bias in my belief about where the stock price is going this month through earnings. Just because I think or believe it doesn't make me right.

No problem - happy to take another crack at it. I know that I sometimes need to hear things different ways before I actually hear them :)

Let's approach it with an example using a comparison between the $100 spread size vs. $20 spread size. If you're sizing your overall positions using $$ then a $100k position will have 10 contracts ($100 spread size, $10k/contract) or 50 contracts ($20 spread size, $2k/contract). The $100 spread size will have a higher credit per contract - that's easy to believe as the insurance contract will be much cheaper when it's $100 away vs $20 away. But the higher credit per contract isn't 5x higher, so there is a higher total credit with the smaller spread size (All of this based on using the same total position size).

If one where taking positions based on contract count, then 10 of the big spreads will be $100k at risk vs. $20k at risk with the $20 spread size. Sizing on contract count doesn't make much sense to me. In practice I'm changing my spread sizes to balance out risk, contract count, and total at risk, with a strong bias to big spreads (say $100+ in today's IV and share price environment).

When the shares go down these two chunks of $100k at risk behave differently. With the $20 spread you go from a $100k value to $0k value over a share price move of $20 (not counting the credit - you keep the credit as an offset to the $100k loss). Good news - the $20 spread size yields a bigger credit, so the max loss is smaller! But not THAT much smaller :)

The $100 spread size goes from $100k to $0k over a $100 move in the share price - the max loss happens more slowly. This increases the time to react, increases the range for taking a partial loss, and makes for a bigger share price range in which management techniques are effective (effective = constrained to a net credit).

We've discussed elsewhere that spreads can be rolled for a net credit down to the midpoint of the two sides. Conceptually this is easy - at the midpoint there is an equal sized change in time value on a roll leaving a $0 credit (the bid/ask slippage will turn it into a small net debit). And in practice the net credit rolls get worse and worse as you approach the midpoint.

I figured this out for myself by going into the option chain and using the share price at that moment, I pretended that I had a variety of spreads that I wanted to roll. I had to do the roll math for myself - there wasn't something convenient to do it for me, but it wasn't onerous. I also tried different spread sizes. Examples - with shares at $710 I might roll a 620/720 ($10 ITM) and a 700/800 ($90 ITM) as well as a 660/760 ($50 ITM). I'd also try a 600/700 to see what a close OTM/ATM roll looks like (these are a lot more fun to contemplate :D).

Part of what informs my spread sizes today is I had a $20 spread open that saw both legs go ITM. I took the loss early before both were ITM and got out with only 40-70% losses (2 or 3 iterations, the entry and exit prices which didn't vary a lot which was why the range of actual % loss was so large). The shift from max gain / OTM, to 1/2 loss, to full loss happened in such a tight share price range that it only needed a few trading hours to happen (which is also what actually happened). If (when) that's happening on expiration day, being away from your desk and monitoring the share price can turn a max gain position into a max loss position while you're eating lunch. Ugh.

Choosing when to roll, at least the way I do spreads, is no different from choosing when to roll short puts or calls. But that's another reason I use the larger spreads - if I go $30 ITM (which I got to when the shares went down briefly to $660 last week or two) then I might not do anything (which is what I did, more or less). It depends on my conviction and what I want to defend against. If that was a 670/690 instead of the 590/690 I had, then it would have been a lot harder to sit on my hands (or roll straight out for time). In fact the straight out roll would have required a net debit, so I'd have need to roll to a 675/695 or 680/700 (worse strike) to get a net credit.

On the smaller spreads I don't have any personal rules for how and when to roll, partly because I had that 1 very bad experience and I'm not seeing any reason to create that possibility again :). No experience to use for finding those rules.

Another point I like to emphasize - I view these vertical spreads as a form of leverage we have available. The example I've been using - a $700 cash secured put will reserve $70k cash (let's assume an IRA - I know that margin accounts will have directionally similar, yet different analyses) for the contract. If I do $100 sized spreads, then I use $10k each, or I can do 7 of these instead of 1 csp. That's 7x leverage! It isn't 7x credit as I'm buying that leverage by way of the insurance part of the spread. But 7 of these might get me 4x the credit relative to the cash secured put.

A specific example - I like the $700 share price as a strong resistance. Let's sell the 600/700 put spread for 9/3 vs the 700 strike put. The 700 strike put is $8.15 (midpoint of b/a) and the 600 strike put is 1.80. In this instance I can use $70k of reserved cash to collect $815 (csp) or 7x (8.15 - 1.80) = $635 * 7 = $4445 (math might be off - approximately correct at least).

While we're at it let's compare these to the 680/700 spread of which we can sell 35!!! ($70k / $2k). The 680 put is at $4.90, so the 680/700 spread has a credit of 8.15 - 4.90 = 3.25. $325 * 35 = $11,375.

Comparing these three positions - I can use a $70k cash reservation for the next week to either earn $815, $4445, or $11,375 (assuming these go to expiration OTM). That's the reward / benefit side.

The risk side is that a full loss needs a share price move to $0, $600, or $680.

This is why I say this is leverage. And at least when I say leverage that's shorthand for "earning or losing money faster". Earning faster is good - losing faster is bad. So like fire - treat it with respect; make sure you have backup plans to handle losing situations, and ideally backups to the backups.

Personally - that insurance put at $680 plus using all of the leverage looks way too dangerous for my taste. And more important - if we're doing these every week for a year, max losses will occur. With the reduced management window, max losses will be more common. The higher credits make the max losses less painful ($59k vs $66k) though...

I've also evolved and decided that a 650/700 ($50 spread size) is also too risky for me for the same reasons. There is more time from max gain to loss, and more effective management window, but we've also been seeing $50 daily share price moves within this year. They're becoming increasingly rare but still, I'm looking for income, and an important characteristic of income is low volatility and regular results.

Actually - that $4.4k outcome using $70k backing is over 5% on the position; 2 of these ($140k backing) per week nearly accomplishes my own income objective ($10k/week) - and without selling any calls which I also do. So I don't -need- to be any more aggressive (use more leverage). This is where having your own target comes in - somewhere soon after objective is accomplished, all of my incremental thinking and resources goes into lowering risk.

With extra resources one of the first things I do is put on more contracts and go further OTM at the start of the position.