Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a feeling that tomorrow will be one of those days when people regret writing covered calls. Of course, if you wrote puts, you are laughing. I bought back all my covered calls last friday, phew.
I did the same luckily. Unfortunately, I don’t even have enough free cash in my options account to write a single put.:( I have a buy order in for Jan 23 LEAPS, but I was hoping for a SP pullback and put in a lowball limit order. That definitely won’t work now. I’ll try to buy some Dec calls, but will have to be quick and probably pay through the nose. That’s the problem with being low on cash.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some sold calls and will take my lumps and buy back with losses at open. This is part of the strategy. Fortunately my sold calls over the next 4 weeks are all quite OTM (lowest is 500) so the losses won’t be bad. They will be offset by the higher number of sold puts I have and the bank of profit from previous weeks. I find the strategy profitable ~80% of weeks.

Also my core share position and LEAPS I have been accumulating will be way up so overall it will still be a major positive.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
I have a feeling that tomorrow will be one of those days when people regret writing covered calls. Of course, if you wrote puts, you are laughing. I bought back all my covered calls last friday, phew.

This is why I like selling weekly calls, far OTM and only sell if the premiums make sense... I guess I got lucky. I have no calls opened and I am actually thinking on opening a few for this Friday. I wonder what strike will be safe for Friday :eek:. I am also thinking about buying some short term calls with the premiums that I have collected before the IV gets crazy. @bxr140 do you have any plans for the S&P inclusion?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: FS_FRA
Planning on rolling up (strike) and out (expiration) of some covered call positions. Going to be a busy morning :cool:
Same here, I wonder if I can get out of my CC's while holding onto some of my premiums? We'll see.

But also actually interested to see how they are called away, as I haven't experienced this before. This is actually the first time they've been ITM with more than a week to expiry (it's borderline actually as they are 455 Nov 27th calls).

It's exciting either way as I'm happy to sell these shares as I watch my core shares go up!

Reactions: Bunky
Do you plan on continuing with the wheel strategy with this potential S+P rally? Does seem like IV will increase too.

Thus far I have only been doing the call-selling side of the wheel but looks like I'm about to get my feet wet on the put-selling side.

(Great thread btw, thanks)

Short answer, yes. I would rather not have sold those calls yesterday, but hind sight is 20/20. Given what I knew then and why I acted, then yes, I still would have acted. The S&P 500 inclusion might have happened now, and it might have happened a month ago, or a month from now, or a year from now. I AM in the camp that sees the inclusion as being inevitable, and increasingly important to the index (and correspondingly less important to Tesla).

I decided that I couldn't let that freeze me from acting - there is pretty much always something.

I DID decide to close that position today with a loss (sell 2.40, buy 8.40). With the S&P news and the month to expiration, I expect the price to be significantly higher by then than now, and I don't see a good reason to stand in front of that train. I didn't think 560 was reachable in the next month and could still be proven right, but I DO consider it to be reachable today.

That's the only position I'm unhappy with this morning. The December puts are looking very good - not so good as to get a 1 day close, but well on their way to an early close. The two longer positions are so far distant in time and strike that today's news and move are still in the noise category.

This is why I like selling weekly calls, far OTM and only sell if the premiums make sense... I guess I got lucky. I have no calls opened and I am actually thinking on opening a few for this Friday. I wonder what strike will be safe for Friday :eek:. I am also thinking about buying some short term calls with the premiums that I have collected before the IV gets crazy. @bxr140 do you have any plans for the S&P inclusion?

I end up selling 6 520s for Friday between $2.7-1.9. I was not able to purchase any calls.

I DID decide to close that position today with a loss (sell 2.40, buy 8.40). With the S&P news and the month to expiration, I expect the price to be significantly higher by then than now, and I don't see a good reason to stand in front of that train. I didn't think 560 was reachable in the next month and could still be proven right, but I DO consider it to be reachable today.

First up - not advice; we all make our own decisions and live with the consequences (good and bad).

Thinking more about the inclusion and the dynamics I expect around it, I've decided to join in the front running of the index buying by buying some calls - something I nearly never do. I've gone for two positions - one closer (12/4 500s) and one further (Jan '21 700s). The 700s are partially chosen with the hope that they will close in '21 and move the tax impact into next year.

I may do some more, but the underlying dynamic I see will be the same.

This S&P 500 inclusion is going to have an effect on short term trading (duh :p). The specific dynamics I see:
- index funds (the ones that have licensed the index, and specifically 'trade' to match the index) will be buying a significant number of shares in the mid/late December timeframe. I've seen an estimate of 15% of the company for these (I can't attest to the truth of that though).

- benchmarked funds - the rather large universe of actively managed funds that benchmarked their results against the S&P 500 will need to buy into TSLA if they aren't already. In effect, a choice to own less TSLA than the index funds is a bet that they can outperform by owning less TSLA (and vice versa). This direct impact will cause buying to happen in this world.

- The actively managed funds also have the ability to front run all of this share buying - buy now (as many of us are doing, including me with those call purchases), let the programmed buying happen, and sell into that programmed buying.

- The rest of the investing world can front run as much or as little as they choose to do.

- We saw what the market can do to a very large and telegraphed move in the market when the near month oil contract went briefly negative back in May.

- (Side effect): I expect the S&P to spread out the buying as they talked about. I also expect them to change how they announce these inclusions in the future.

EDIT to add:
- Anybody short TSLA might decide that they don't want to stand in front of this train - even more buying (though I don't trust any sizing I can do on this).

- And \lastly, I expect that hot / front running money to promptly disappear when the index buying is done (or to front run the exodus!); I wouldn't be surprised if we're back near this level by mid-January.

Lots of ways I can be wrong in this - I am pretty much always wrong about <3 month direction and magnitude of share price movements. I do feel strongly enough about this though to take advantage of this setup, as I nearly never do.

Last edited:
So I set a GTC re-buy of my NOV 20 380p at $0.01 (for good housekeeping sake)....glad to (hopefully) get out of that brain-fart of a learning-trade....

Not re-starting the Wheel yet ... I need IV to improve before I head out to selling CCs.

Bought Jan15'21 720c for $5.23 to get out ahead of what hopefully will be a nice run up before X-Mas this year. If I can carry profit into 2021, I'll be very happy on this one.

I like how today has been a "quiet" day.... feels like a spring winding up to unload. Question is how many days of winding the SP will take...

As expected, my account went down 10% today because of the IV spike on all of my short options. It's all paper loss indeed. I ended up purchasing a total of 600 new shares. My PT for TSLA at the end of December is $550. At that point I will unload these 600 shares at the first sight of an IV crush and ride my short calls to expiration. I believe that much of Q4 upside will have been priced in through this event.

Reactions: st_lopes and adiggs
@bxr140 do you have any plans for the S&P inclusion?

Not really. I think that ship sailed today. I'm also not at all stoked with the massive put-leaning imbalance in SPY and QQQ open interest.

I've been looking at some 3/6 and 6/9 month calendars recently and might do that to capture some of the this tweener IV (we're still way high relative to pre-covid/2020 runup) but I wrapped most of my capital in DITM ZM CCs so won't be seriously contemplating TSLA calendars until after Turkey.

But mostly I'm waiting for a child to actually stop fostering anti-American and anti-democratic sentiment and just concede that a fair an impartial election took place. If that's not the trigger for a panic selloff, then I'll go long.

FWIW, here's P/L for a Mar/Jun $700 calendar, buy in is $1600. If price runs way up that's a pretty good recipe for, at a minimum, doubling up.
upload_2020-11-17_14-24-4.png

For funsies, here's a Mar/Jun double calendar at $300/700, buy in of ~$2700 or so. Main benefit here over above is downside protection, especially if price goes the wrong way fast, of course at the expense of upside profit.
upload_2020-11-17_14-29-5.png

As expected, my account went down 10% today because of the IV spike on all of my short options. It's all paper loss indeed. I ended up purchasing a total of 600 new shares. My PT for TSLA at the end of December is $550. At that point I will unload these 600 shares at the first sight of an IV crush and ride my short calls to expiration. I believe that much of Q4 upside will have been priced in through this event.
If you sold options with the hope that they would expire worthless, the IV spike is irrelevant in the long term. They either will, or won't, expire worthless.

• Love
Reactions: LN1_Casey and dl003
What are people's thoughts on the impact to ladder strategy due to S&P inclusion?. I would imagine TSLA will trade in narrow ranges going forward. Short interest is really low too.

I'm going to leave my put positions as they are(Jan 21expiry) but after Dec 21st I think IV will stabilize around these levels and selling options will probably be not as profitable. Do we then start looking at selling medium-longer term puts? Of course with a good risk mitigation strategy.

2020 was truly an exception!

Sold a 540 call for next week for a little bit. Was hoping for a larger spike in the stock to catch a nicer price for the sell, but hey, better than it was. And I'd be happy to sell my shares there.

I will need my cash by the second week of December, so thinking of waiting this week to sell a call for 5 Dec on Friday. See how the SP and IV are doing.

Reactions: juanmedina
I bought back some covered calls yesterday in a taxable account (12/18 485c) at a loss, so as to get out of the way of any potential share price squeeze leading up to inclusion. I still have -31 contracts of the 12/18 500c in a Rollover IRA, which are covered by 31 LEAPs (Jan 2023 200c) and no cash or other positions in that account, which is preventing me from closing any of those calls. I will be prepared to roll those out/ up next month.

I bought short term calls at the following strikes:

12/18 435c
12/31 440c
1/15 500c

Reactions: adiggs
I end up selling 6 520s for Friday between $2.7-1.9. I was not able to purchase any calls.

I should have closed all the calls this morning and open them again just now :(. I sold a few c530s for this Friday and 3 c545s for next week with the intention of closing them late this Friday.

I bought 3 Dec 24th 600s today for the inclusion and last week I got a January 23rd c450 and a September 22 c450

Last edited:
Hmm...know it's not part of the wheel but the Dec 24th $560 calls I purchased yesterday are up 120% now...

Sell early and miss the take off or wait till near expiration and watch it drop to nothing? This is why I hate buying calls...the decision on when to sell is killer.

Reactions: juanmedina