Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every time we get schooling advice from bxr140 I learn something important and, usually (as in this case as well), it further illustrates how amateurish my trading has been and continues to be. Someday, perhaps, I will open a taxable account and begin trading spreads using the wealth of knowledge provided on this thread. Until then I will continue to pick up pennies in front of the steamroller, “hoping” that my simplistic analysis of MaxPain and my weekly closing “guess” is correct, so that I can pick up 1% or so every week.
I know how you feel. Just when I think I've got a good working knowledge of options, bxr140 comes back and reminds us how fast and loose some of us are playing this game.

Last edited:
For those who have been watching LEAPS for a while, how do they tend to behave when first issued?

If I'm reading this right, 2024 LEAPS will be issued next Monday, September 13th. Any incentive to grab newly issued LEAPS quickly?
Usually the bid/ask spreads are awful at first so I tend to avoid new LEAPS for at least a month or so until the gap becomes reasonable.

Usually the bid/ask spreads are awful at first so I tend to avoid new LEAPS for at least a month or so until the gap becomes reasonable.

Thanks, I was thinking the pricing might be wonky at first until traders can decide on a price. I was also thinking there may be good arbitrage opportunities.

The relationship of prices at certain strikes seems relatively stable over time. So theoretically it should be possible to forecast where the market will eventually settle on those new LEAPS?

1631061207161.png

1631061232906.png

Thanks, I was thinking the pricing might be wonky at first until traders can decide on a price. I was also thinking there may be good arbitrage opportunities.

The relationship of prices at certain strikes seems relatively stable over time. So theoretically it should be possible to forecast where the market will eventually settle on those new LEAPS?

View attachment 706496
View attachment 706497
I’m pretty sure the prices will be set based on options fundamentals and there really shouldn’t be any reason for mispricing/arbitrage opportunities. It’s more just that the bid/ask spread will be very wide and thus LEAPS will be more expensive to buy and cheaper to sell at first compared to weeks later when the spread tightens.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
I've mostly been seeing bid/ask spreads on the order of $10-15. I've also had pretty good success with quick fills at the mid point.

The way I look at it - I plan to own these things for most of their duration (to back call sales), and by being deep ITM the % of option premium in that $5ish b/a slippage is pretty small potatoes ($300 option premiums with +/- $5 due to b/a is about what I've seen on the options I've been buying).

But I'm $200+ ITM at purchase - I bet the wide b/a dynamic is a lot more important if one is buying OTM.

I've mostly been seeing bid/ask spreads on the order of $10-15. I've also had pretty good success with quick fills at the mid point.

The way I look at it - I plan to own these things for most of their duration (to back call sales), and by being deep ITM the % of option premium in that $5ish b/a slippage is pretty small potatoes ($300 option premiums with +/- $5 due to b/a is about what I've seen on the options I've been buying).

But I'm $200+ ITM at purchase - I bet the wide b/a dynamic is a lot more important if one is buying OTM.
Good points. I’m pretty much only buy OTM LEAPS so that’s where I’ve noticed the big spreads. I even feel like they can be $20-30 at first if I remember correctly.

Welp, glad I sold all of my unprotected call options yesterday.

Still have about 30 calls on inside of spreads @ 765 and 770. Let's see if the daily BB rises too far by Friday or (more likely since SP is already well over it pre-market) fails entirely. There's a technical resistance at 765 as well, but the call walls aren't as tall as I'd like to see them. We'll see if 760 can hold, but I'll be happy if it doesn't as well!

well, looks like I'm glad ( again) I decided not to sell any calls yesterday and did a nice BPS for Friday instead.

I don't put too much into AHT but
($760.91+7.99 (+1.06%) Bid x Size $760.70 x 200 Ask x Size $761.24 x 100
Before hours: Sep 8, 2021, 7:58 AM ET)
seems indicative of a strong open especially with most futures looking flat

I've apparently missed out on the peak today. I'm holding onto me BPS for this week (710 and 720s). They're ahead 60%ish, and I'm probably better off closing and looking for a new entry tomorrow. But feeling safe with those and they're large enough to still have noticeable absolute $ to be earned. I'll revisit this position later in the day if we move back up.

On the big rise I've sold some 765 lcc for this week collecting 3.65. I'm looking for not much more run up this week.

And while I was at it I threw in some really far OTM call spreads to complete iron condors. 800/900s and 800/880s for around .45 (there isn't much different in option premiums for this week at the 880 level :D). In doing so I've learned something that applies at least to Fidelity. The 800/880s are in an IRA where I have $80 wide put spreads open. I tried to open these using $100 spread sizes and was told I need to increase buying power to complete that trade.

When I switched to an $80 spread size to match the put spread size, that order completed with no trouble. So apparently legging into an IC in an IRA, at least with Fidelity, needs matching spread sizes in addition to matching expiration dates (it's not an IC if the expirations are different).
When is too early to roll CC that are $5 OTM (nine days)?

Reactions: phantasms
I'm on the fence here. I've got a 750 I sold, half with the intention of putting it through the wheel. I'm tempted to roll up to 760 next week for ~2$ profit. The shares are in short term with a relatively high cost basis so there wouldn't be much tax issue. I just worry that the stock might be starting to gap up. Then again, next week being the triple might send it back down. Good problems to have.

Reactions: samppa and JustMe
For those who have been watching LEAPS for a while, how do they tend to behave when first issued?

If I'm reading this right, 2024 LEAPS will be issued next Monday, September 13th. Any incentive to grab newly issued LEAPS quickly?
2024 LEAPS? I think it will be Sep 2023's listed next, on September 17, no?

I often make crazy low bids, always to no avail.

Last edited:
I'm on the fence here. I've got a 750 I sold, half with the intention of putting it through the wheel. I'm tempted to roll up to 760 next week for ~2$ profit. The shares are in short term with a relatively high cost basis so there wouldn't be much tax issue. I just worry that the stock might be starting to gap up. Then again, next week being the triple might send it back down. Good problems to have.
Ok, did it. Timed the roll decently for a $4.21 profit. If only a penny less.

It's part of the reason I asked. On the last question in the FAQ LEAPS® & Cycles it says:

"All of the 2024 LEAPS® will be introduced on Monday, September 13th, 2021."
I expect January 2024s to be released in September. They used to get released in November every year but the schedule changed at some point I think.

Opened some -$800/+$850 bear call spreads for $0.96 per contract this morning, while keeping my covered -$800c position open. Also rolled my -$690p position to -$730p to milk an additional $1.00 in premium per contract. Will open more on a push below $750.