Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Welp, did what I was thinking, though for less premium than I could get a few days ago. Sold 90 x 600/800 Jan 23 BPS for $60. Return on max risk is ~ 39%, so would be about 0.75% per week if taken to expiration. I believe that's more than or similar to what I would comfortable get week to week. Big numbers but I feel rational, let's see how it goes!
We feel rational until the market feels irrational.

First week I have to roll Puts 1-2 weeks down to avoid getting assigned. Twice on one position . They were small positions, 5 and 10 contracts -p1045 and -p990. However this is brutal.

View attachment 740195

indignation-jump.gif
😂🤣😂 I used to get upset if I didn't time the bottom perfectly. Now I just take my money and don't worry about it. Otherwise you'll have weeks where you wait and wait for a better bottom and make no money.

I also post this here (duplicate of main thread) because not everyone reads there:

IBKR notified me 1 hour ago:

CORPORATE EVENTS
Note: The following were generated over an hour ago.
Things may have changed since then.

Upcoming Corporate Events (up to 5 per account)
SymbolTSLA
EventTesla Inc at Deutsche Bank AutoTech Conference (Virtual) (20211209T105900+0000)
DateDec 09, 2021

What event was planned/is happening on 12/09? .. Just a talk with a "one-more-thing"-announcement?
I mean .. 12/09 was all over the place, but this is a concrete event TSLA will attend at.

Last edited by a moderator:
We feel rational until the market feels irrational.

First week I have to roll Puts 1-2 weeks down to avoid getting assigned. Twice on one position . They were small positions, 5 and 10 contracts -p1045 and -p990. However this is brutal.

Why would you need to roll these puts 2 weeks down to avoid assignment? The p1045 are a bit ITM and the p990 still a bit OTM, so wouldn’t a roll of 1 week have put back enough time value in them to avoid assignment?

You know, I really thought I wasn't gonna have to worry about the -1050/+950 BPSes I had expiring today.

That's what I get for thinking.

Quick update- on the ~1025 "pop" I rolled these to 12/10 expiration and rolled em down to 1020/920 for about a $2.50 credit.

So it's all clear to close back up at 1050.01 today now

Here is what I use for planning my trades. It lets me know what my risk, return, and how much of my available capital I can invest. The refresh quotes box triggers the cells to go out and get the latest prices. I usually go for the darkest green avail collateral cell from the top with an available spread. If there isn't one that is available, I adjust the short size by a couple of strikes to get one at the top that I like. So for this I would check out the 910 short strike to get me into a 260 wide spread.

It also shows me the current delta and how far the short strike is from the 20 min delay stock price.

Screen Shot 2021-12-03 at 12.58.29 PM.png

Here is what I use for planning my trades. It lets me know what my risk, return, and how much of my available capital I can invest. The refresh quotes box triggers the cells to go out and get the latest prices. I usually go for the darkest green avail collateral cell from the top with an available spread. If there isn't one that is available, I adjust the short size by a couple of strikes to get one at the top that I like. So for this I would check out the 910 short strike to get me into a 260 wide spread.

It also shows me the current delta and how far the short strike is from the 20 min delay stock price.

View attachment 740221
Did you make the program yourself? I want....

View attachment 740221

Very nice. Mine is similar
1638555976571.png

FYI and NOT-ADVICE

Something to be aware of with the wider spread sizes - I've got $300 wide spreads right now for next week expiration. The insurance put is right at the edge of the range where strikes turn into $50 between strikes. So a roll from 750/1050 down to 710/1010 is not available. I can roll to 700/1010 for a small net credit or 700/1000 for a small net debit (at this moment - shares 1022ish).

If I were to decide to roll right now I think I'd take the small net debit rather than expanding the capital at risk by a minor amount ($300 to $310).

I'm not thrilled about being $30 ITM but I've got a week to go and I use these wide spreads to give myself room to operate even while ITM. At this moment I still think that $975 is my time-to-take-action point as that is 1/4th of the way ITM. I figure the spread will continue behaving mostly like a short put up through 1/4th of the wide spread and then more like a spread for the next 1/4th. That midpoint ($900) is where it turns into a straight roll for time - no strike improvement.

I would find this a much more fascinating experiment to see how right or wrong about how the rolls for time look if the position sizes weren't so large :). I do plan to post though about this position at least while its deeply ITM to track and report on how it evolves.

An early close to take the loss right now would be about $40/share net loss ($62 to close; $23 to enter). But the position expires next Friday and as bad as today has been it still seems premature to me to take management action.

Another thing to consider is just how quickly I can recover a $40/share loss. Recent trades have been in the $20/share range or 2 weeks to break even; actually 1 week if I include the week before. Even with a lower $10/share weekly win that takes 4 total weeks to be back to even. That's not thrilling but its also an option to be considering. Which I'll be doing on Monday the soonest.

I should open some covered calls just to draw the share price back up :D

Would appreciate the wisdom of the crowd on this... I'm short 10x 1025 puts expiring today, so slightly in the money at the moment. I fully intend to close that position today and roll to something next week.

But do I do it now, with a slight loss (but theoretically with a proportionally better premium on next week's roll?

Or do I roll the dice, hope the SP move up into the close (but risk that it moves way against me) and wait to roll later in the day?

Or does it not really matter since I'm rolling anyway?

What would you do?

Edit: and no margin risks to consider fwiw.

Last edited:
Would appreciate the wisdom of the crowd on this... I'm short 10x 1025 puts expiring today, so slightly in the money at the moment. I fully intend to close that position today and roll to something next week.

But do I do it now, with a slight loss (but theoretically with a proportionally better premium on next week's roll?

Or do I roll the dice, hope the SP move up into the close (but risk that it moves way against me) and wait to roll later in the day?

Or does it not really matter since I'm rolling anyway?

What would you do?
Not advice:
$7 of time value to burn off still. That will reduce on a price increase and as time passes.

I'm taking advantage of the terrible jobs report. I rolled 3/4 of my positions to 12/17. Kept all strikes the same. Great premiums! I wouldn't be doing this any other time of the quarter. I'm tripling my monthly goal. I'm just not worried that we won't be over 1000 at the end of the year. BPS 700/1000s and 750/950s.
same! 90% of my trades are in 12/17, 10% in 12/10

-p850/+p800
i know, i know, why leave so much $ on the table?!? 🤷‍♀️ 🔨
Away from the table looks good right now. I have some 950-850 for 12-10 and that is closer than I like right now. I think resistance is pretty strong below 1100 and the positive fundamentals are very strong, but market makers and macros have a mind of their own, and uncle Elon may not be done selling.

Reactions: Yoona