Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Shocked to see folks being "certain" that $TSLA will be above $800 in January next year, or $1600 in January 2024 - how many of you predicted back in November we'd be heading into the $700's today, very few, I think

The stock market is random, you have no idea what the price will be tomorrow, never mind in a month, to trade on a value a year of two ahead is incredibly speculative
I thought speculation was short term as it is a voting machine in the short term however long term is investing because stock market become a weighting machine. With 50% consistant growth, on the long term, the odds the stock is above todays price are higher. However, of course we are speculating the world doesn’t end with WW3 or global pandemic with higher death rate. That’s why I see writing long dated puts more as investing than short term speculation. I might be wrong.

Aren’t those support lines only valid on the close though? We just bounced off of 827. Did you roll, or how do you use that? Just trying to learn!
When a support line is breached, it is breached as per technical traders. Even if it’s intra day. The fact it bounced at 827.05 means it is still holding. Watch Cory on the stock channel, 827 is the last support before a prolonged descending triangle bear market leading us down for a while. That’s my trigger before I become officially a bear.

I thought speculation was short term as it is a voting machine in the short term however long term is investing because stock market become a weighting machine. With 50% consistant growth, on the long term, the odds the stock is above todays price are higher. However, of course we are speculating the world doesn’t end with WW3 or global pandemic with higher death rate. That’s why I see writing long dated puts more as investing than short term speculation. I might be wrong.
@Max Plaid 's point is that even LEAPS are speculative since 2 years is too short a time horizon to be able to accurately predict SP fluctuations. Any serious financial crisis takes around 3 years before the markets recover back to break even so your long term options will have expired by then.

In short: TSLA in 2 years? Who knows. TSLA in 10 years? Excellent.

so far, so good
  • 1 yr low = 827
  • lower BB = 828
  • 200 SMA = 830

1645541115825.png

Not directly related to the positions I have but read through a very interesting post on the TA thread by @Mike Da Gee
A log plot of the NASDAQ shows we're at the upper side of a 50-year long channel. The only thing worse than it going down would be it going up. The dot-com bubble of 2000 took many years to recover from and I for one have no interest in seeing another such bubble.
View attachment 771271
There are various theories about "why Ukraine" and "why now?" I would argue the Ukraine doesn't really matter because the market has been showing weakness for a while. True, Russia supplies the US and Europe with a lot of oil, and natural gas, but the stock market started weakening before everyone suddenly remembered there is a Ukraine.

Comparing the NASDAQ ETFs QQQ (purple line below) and QQEW ("Equal Weight" = light blue line) shows QQEW more or less kept up with QQQ until mid year 2021 when it's momentum slowed down. So it was a few large cap stocks which kept the party going strongly - the NASDAQ-100 became more the NASDAQ-5. The loss of momentum in the other NASDAQ-95 showed up months earlier.
View attachment 771551

You can see the same idea in the chart below showing the number of stocks in the NASDAQ-100 above their 200-day mov. avg. - it drops sharply for months starting in Summer of 2021 while the NASDAQ-100 kept making new highs. Chart below from "Barchart dot com"

View attachment 771587

A YouTube TA channel, "F/X Evolution" mentioned an article circulating among financial institutions that suggested the best option for the Fed in fighting inflation without raising interest rates to a level which would devastate the economy would be to encourage volatility. Basically, scare everyone enough with market gyrations that they go from "buy the dip" to "sell the rip".

Presumably, headlines of "Dow Drops N,NNN points in One Day!!" would even make the 50% of the population that doesn't own stocks start worrying about their jobs. Then they'll stop paying outrageous prices for stuff and start saving money. That would remove pricing power from retailers and let inventories build up. This would kill inflation faster than raising interest rates which commonly take 6 months or more to show change in the general economy. If inflation is over 7%, interest rates would need to be at least that high for months to do anything - yechh - not something anyone wants to see soon.

The Fed said in their last minutes that they feel equities are too high and that contributes to inflation. I interpret that to mean that they think if people feel rich with big stock portfolios they don't mind spending a lot. Makes sense to me. So driving down the market is a logical choice. Bring on Fed. member Bullard.

A few months ago, I was thinking SPY would go down maybe 20%, now I'm thinking 20% for sure, maybe 30%. A 30% drop in SPY to 337 is about where it was in January 2020 before the big crash. TSLA was (split-adjusted) 188 back then. I have trouble imagining TSLA going that low, especially with 2 new factories churning out cars.

Personally, I'm 100% cash in my trading acct. My investment acct is 50% cash. The other 50% is HODLing TSLA, some mutual funds, TQQQ, TECL.

When Powell comes on and tells us the Fed feels inflation is no longer a problem I'll pick up more TSLA, and SOXL.

It is a really interesting hypothesis that the FED sees including massive volatility as a way to lower inflation and not one I had included before.
Makes a lot of sense to me that if they can whittle down some account balances then people will be more fearful of spending and allow inflation to come down organically and rates to be raised slower.
Means more volatility but if you know the rules of the game, you then can play it better.
Cheers!

Aaand the conversion to leaps spreads is done 🎉

I chose 1300/1600 for better volume. Breakeven is 1370 and full recovery at 1600 by Jan 19th 2024. Tax funding secured. Still have some other positions and stock as well. Feels good.

Now time to sit back and watch with some popcorn.

Let's hope we close above the 200DMA at 830, or at least rebound off 790. Worst case scenario is visiting the bottom of the declining channel which is at 730 this week and 715 next week, so I'd say any spreads below 700 are safe.

I'm gonna wait. Converting shares to $1200c/$1400c spreads at $2800 looks like free money today, but what's the odds things get considerably better in a month? If we're stuck below $900 another month, then I'm buying just before or after St Paddy's Day when IV should be delightfully low.

Imagine getting 10/1 that TSLA will be across $1400 two years from now. That's a 2024 trailing PE of around 45-55. I'll take that wager.

Reactions: UltradoomY
Rolled my Apr -850/+650 to Jun -810/+610 for free. Will keep rolling this down and out I think to something well into the 700s.

Not touching my May -800/+600, yet. Will see how things develop and then roll down and out to the 700s too.

Hate this situation. Safe CC paying nothing, and I don't want to tap more margin to sell -700/+500 BPS.

HODL it is for now.

Rolled everything that had an upper strike above 780 today - will continue to roll as limits are approached.

Separately, I'm looking to add long exposure if we dip below $800. Anyone have not advice ideas to utilize a bit of leverage? Long call spreads? DITM LEAPs? Can consider selling shares to fund that if need be.

Reactions: UltradoomY
NOT-ADVICE

Something I wish I had done sooner with my earlier-in-the-year disastrous BPS was to stop looking at profit and instead consider what sort of permanent damage could have occurred and how I could have mitigated some if it. If I had pondered this question earlier then I'd have gladly closed at a 50% loss and been much better off now. I'm still fine either way, but more fine would be nice :)

But I didn't ponder that question until I had lost almost all of the value before I did do that analysis.

I don't have advice about what anybody should do in their situation. The closest advice I have is, in addition to all of the rest of the analysis you are doing, ponder the question of how close to a full loss / how far ITM / how close the insurance put is to ITM, and figure out what further losses in the share price will mean to your overall portfolio and situation. I don't know the answer - simply ponder the question. This is what I didn't do and it was expensive.

For me, the moment I started to feel like my short term speculation / income thesis also involved feeling like I was standing at the craps table, that was when I pulled the trigger and got out.

Looking for some advice, not advice here... @ChefBoyardee did something a bit more aggressive than what I am looking to do, but say I liquidated all of my TSLA holdings and converted all of those shares to LEAPs -- I would target 700 or 800 strike price in Jan 2024, which would give me a break even around $1000/900 a share give or take in 2024. I think tentatively I would be able to double or almost triple my share exposure with the conversion depending on the strike price and subsequent profits.

I also have some outstanding 2024 puts backed by margin -- I wouldnt have to close these correct? I could just let them ride and be backed by the LEAPs on margin, correct? Or should I close them out?

What is the downside here? TSLA stagnates and doesnt even make it to 1000 a share? I could always roll the LEAPs out for a credit, right?

This is a taxable account, everything is long term already, so I would take that hit regardless.

What am I missing?

I've rolled some 790 naked puts for this week down to 750 naked puts for next week. The rolled contracts are all contracts that (today) I target for assignment next week should we drop that far.

I could pay roughly $10 to roll the 790s down to 750 for this week, but for that to pay off, I would the share price to be below 750 this week (so I get assignment at a $40 better strike). If I knew that $10 now would save me $40 later then of course I'd do it. But I don't know that and the goal isn't to avoid assignment.

With the new setup I have contracts for this week that I plan to take assignment on (790s) and contracts for next week that I plan to take assignment on (750s). The remaining naked puts will be rolled this week as normal money making positions, with a plan to get at least 1 of them in position for an 700 strike assignment the week after (or as soon as I can get there).

This is me dollar cost averaging on the way down.

With the continuing evolution of the Russia - Ukraine news I'm thinking of revising that plan slightly to either skip the 750 assignment, so 700 would be my next planned assignment. Or maybe expand the range - something like 800, then 720, then 650 (vs. 800, 750, 700, 650).

Although I think the current share prices are crazy low for the company, I also remind myself that without a lot more money than I have, my opinion is of little meaning to the market. Whether there are good logical reasons for the share price I believe are correct, the actual share price is a reflection of what the investing community as a whole believe is correct.