Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting trade @samppa , shares at 630 would have been sweet. I had my eye on 7/8 640 CSP but didn't want to set a limit order while not watching the morning dip. Looking the other direction, a STO 7/8 -730C limit was just filled @ 6.00 ... against the original buy-write shares from a month ago bought at $640 $660, $40 $51 in credit so far. All, thanks for discussing BW and CSP !

Last edited:
if Monday is green, is Tuesday going to reverse?

1657056949976.png

1657058327691.png

the biggest Tuesday drop in history (-12%) was just 10 weeks ago

1657058353871.png

Last edited:
The Put/Call mismatch could also mean we are getting to max fear. The price of oil dropping has me hopeful that we are on the cusp of a reversal. But I never thought we'd be here, so I clearly know nothing.

I am in the kind of mood I have reached the point to sell all my TSLA and buy puts for 500, you know what this means?

That TSLA is about to reverse, finally.

That's about where my -550/+450 spreads opened this morning are right now.... but I can't think of what I'd do with the $ freed up closing em same day that's better than just letting the remaining value bleed out?
I take the early close when its worthwhile and available / good, mostly to set myself up to open a replacement position, even though the new position isn't available at that moment. I also realize an available profit, but the focus is being ready for the next position to be opened.

In this particular instance your put spread went down in value (you made money) with the shares going up. If you let it ride then you'll continue earning what's left of the position and waiting for Thu/Fri to wrap it up, but you might see a period of reduced gain or even a loss, on the way to a final gain when it finishes OTM.

If you take the early close then you're in a good position to open up a good replacement if/when the shares reverse the next day (or later the same day).

Some times this works well, some times it doesn't. Part of what I also consider is just how much of the current position there is left to earn. 66% of a $2 position means you're got .67 left to earn - is that worth keeping the position to get some or most of that remaining .67? That's a question for the moment :) If you opened a $21 position then you've got $7 remaining to earn - is that worth keep open?

More generally I like to look at both the absolute numbers (total $ or contract price, either way) as well as the % gain.

I opened a $25 call last week that I closed at $5 on Thursday. Had I waited it out on Friday I'd have been able to close it worthless, or more likely the $1 I'd have taken earlier in the day. The $1 is just in case of a reversal that is rare, but has bit me badly (I watched the share price go up >$100 on the final day of a position, and take a winning position into a >$100 losing position in a few hours - beyond ugh, so I don't risk that).

I opened a $25 call last week that I closed at $5 on Thursday. Had I waited it out on Friday I'd have been able to close it worthless, or more likely the $1 I'd have taken earlier in the day. The $1 is just in case of a reversal that is rare, but has bit me badly (I watched the share price go up >$100 on the final day of a position, and take a winning position into a >$100 losing position in a few hours - beyond ugh, so I don't risk that).
You and me both.. my biggest losses have come from positions that I could have closed early around 70-80% profit, but decided to milk the rest, only to see it turn totally against me and go.

I've been upping aggression lately, but I only sell cash secured puts and covered calls, so in essence everything is infinitely rollable.. at least up to a point. And if not, I can let the option exercise. Sort of a perma-strangle going on, it's been working great so far with this volatility.

Same here. It pays not to get greedy and just mechanically close it out once it reaches a pre-set threshold

I usually close at 90% (or 80% depending what's going on if there's any sort of known significant news coming the next day or something).

In this case it was around 70% by end of the day I opened... which is tempting, but I don't know that "ALMOST got to my target- but did it fast" is reason enough to change my target unless there's an obvious better place to put the $.

I could've closed for ~50 cents a share... but I'm unsure where I'd put the $ after that, same week, to beat that enough to be worth bothering plus paying commissions again- other than a significantly nearer TM position which I don't want.

Sure if it dips a bunch today I can just reopen the same thing and then wait that out again... but between a days time decay and it might NOT dip that much... I think the odds of doing significantly better hoping for that aren't super high?

Almost got screwed by Fidelity. I was one of the people that got the letter saying my trading would be restricted if I didn't sign the form saying that I understood that I was too concentrated (and lost too much money on paper this year) and I absolved them of any responsibility for my account. I signed it immediately and emailed it to them. I quickly got it back saying my wife had to sign it, so I sent it in again after she signed it as well (this was a month ago). Today I went go to place a trade and it wouldn't let me, saying my account was restricted. I called them and the guy said I have to sign the form they sent a month ago. I explained that I had already done it. He immediately finds it, and he says he has to talk to his back office. He comes back and tells me it should be cleared up in 15 minutes. This could have been horrible if it had been a trading day that required a fast sale to save me from a loss... :rolleyes::mad:

Timed the MMD to roll one -700p to -695p for credit $1 and closed one -700c (STO at $42, BTC at $11.50). Unfortunately completed the second legs early but didn’t want to get greedy. This converts the strangle to a wider 695/705 straddle, still this week. Will wait to resell the CC on the next bounce towards $700. Today’s trades didn’t need to happen, but based on this AM’s $680 MaxPain, I expected a quick push down and thought the timing would be relatively easy.

Saw this earlier on twitter - I am doing a one contract test -
STO 07/08 $725 C @ $8
BTO 07/08 $650 P @ $6.45
Just one contract each... I didn't do anything else productive today, so figured I would screw off with this.
Out of this experiment because I didn't care for it - and with a small profit -
BTC $725CC @$4
STC $650P @ $7
Total total of about $4 in a day minus fees.
Would have been happier with the straight CC - but if we dumped I would have been happier.... Who knows but it didn't give me the good gut feeling.
In conclusion I will not be repeating the "follow Spot Gamma's" tweet posts.... :p

Reactions: BornToFly
I’d be furious at the dishonesty of the manager, the lack of “buy to close”, and lack of goodwill for your large, active trading account. Do you have other brokerage choices? I’d threaten to change brokerages unless they reverse it at their expense.

Finally, they don’t want to reverse the charges because they say they sent a message on my online platform that I had been assigned. Usually when there is a new message it’s about a useless economic webinar so I did not open this section for 2 years. It said I had been assigned on 3 contracts and bought 300 TSLA shares but it would take 24 hours to show on my account. Because of the platform delay and the lack of Buy to Close option, I went on the -p1250 18/8 puts and used the Buy option to close the position but it was already assigned and finally bought 3 Puts instead. Now who is responsible for this error? I don’t know. The only thing I know is that I am changing brockerage firm.

I opened some 580/620 BPS on the second dip for $1.30. Not much but it's enough to make do. I'd held back from BPS expecting another week like last week where it dropped deeply by mid-week. Turns out it's more like the previous week where decent premiums were only available Monday.

I'm expecting I'll close these BPS before the June Fed Minutes are released around 2pm. The market usually has a conniption when the minutes are released and it could make a decent opportunity to resell.