Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this in a taxable account? Do you know if there are any wash sale implications? I have heard different versions and honestly not sure if this particular trade is treated as a wash sale.

Yes, taxable account.

Can't speak for the IRS but I don't think Schwab calculates it as a wash sale: Buy 100 shares for $30,000 and then sell them for $22,000, realizing an $8k loss, then selling a new option position that happens to have $8k premium - where would the wash be?

While some people consider similar options but with different expiration or strikes to be "substantially identical", my understanding is the IRS has not clarified this and it is still a gray area. My brokerage software does not consider it a wash sale, so I don't see a reason to self-impose a stricter definition than the IRS has explicitly stated.

I was assigned on my 3x Nov 18 283.33 Puts last night. First time I've been assigned. I wasn't paying attention to those yet since they were still a few weeks out but they were part of spreads that I've been rolling since oh, I don't know, January or so?

Now I need to decide what to do with the long legs which are at $216.67. I like the idea of "rolling" the spreads by selling the shares but haven't thought it through yet and the potential wash sale implications are a bit over my head at the moment. This is why I've been rolling the spreads out so I didn't need to figure this stuff out...

Last edited:
Early assigned 118 x Jan 24 350 Puts today in a BPS. The BPS was already at max loss.

Just a datapoint.
does anyone know what is the action plan for this kind of situation?

for pure assigned -p, i see others are selling the shares then selling new -p

but for max loss BPS: how to recover the loss, even if just partial? what do you do with the +p?

p.s. i am travelling, maybe can't reply but TIA!

Reactions: bkp_duke
I'm detecting large put inflow into TSLA. Only happened 4 times that I can recall: late February 2021, early June this year, August 26th this year, and today. Be careful

Yes I noticed a couple of big put bets for December expiry for I think 175 expiry, Yes Dec 2022. If I remember correctly one was a 4M premium. Somebody knows something!

edit: It was actually 4541 put contracts of the Dec 2022 176.67 for 2M total premium.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf and dl003
Yes I noticed a couple of big put bets for December expiry for I think 175 expiry, Yes Dec 2022. If I remember correctly one was a 4M premium. Somebody knows something!

edit: It was actually 4541 put contracts of the Dec 2022 176.67 for 2M total premium.
It's actually a pretty sensible strike, considering SPY is projected to hit 310-320 by December by quite a few. In that case, I wouldn't rule out TSLA 180. I'll explain the number later tonight when I have a chance.

It's actually a pretty sensible strike, considering SPY is projected to hit 310-320 by December by quite a few. In that case, I wouldn't rule out TSLA 180. I'll explain the number later tonight when I have a chance.

2 more just hit the tape total of 5.2 M (3330 contracts of Jan 2023 200 strike puts). This is usually institutional put buying. Maybe it's that institution's way of shorting TSLA but you cannot ignore these bets for the short to medium term.

Just to be clear this does not mean we are for sure going to visit those 175-180 levels but when you see huge institutional bets you have to pay attention.

2 more just hit the tape total of 5.2 M (3330 contracts of Jan 2023 200 strike puts). This is usually institutional put buying. Maybe it's that institution's way of shorting TSLA but you cannot ignore these bets for the short to medium term.

Just to be clear this does not mean we are for sure going to visit those 175-180 levels but when you see huge institutional bets you have to pay attention.

Hedgies trying to short the stock?

does anyone know what is the action plan for this kind of situation?

for pure assigned -p, i see others are selling the shares then selling new -p

but for max loss BPS: how to recover the loss, even if just partial? what do you do with the +p?

p.s. i am travelling, maybe can't reply but TIA!

When assigned BPS shares, I typically:

1) Sell the assigned shares, and then

2) Sell the protective PUTS of the BPS

If assigned early, usually puts me a little ahead of max loss

Added 230 cc for next week around 2.50. While I do think something of a move up from here is possible, I don't see it as being sustained or as likely, and will come back sooner than later.

Also went looking for 165/195 put spreads and have missed my limit price (1.60) so far. My plan of the moment is to let those orders ride for the day and see if they fill. I'll go looking again tomorrow (I won't be surprised if we open down tomorrow, and I get an even better open then).

I have 275 strike csp for Jan and Feb monthly expirations that I've wanted to start curing. I was initially thinking about a roll into put spreads (which is what got me thinking about returning to put spreads). That thinking has evolved though, and I plan to separate the two events (close DITM csp; open BPS that pays for it).

By separating the two events, I don't size the BPS or choose the strikes based on closing the csp, nor do I close the csp when the price is right for opening the BPS. Instead I'll open BPS I consider appropriate (timing, strike, premium; generally lower share price / down days) and when I close the BPS / realize the BPS gain, I will also decide on the spot how many CSP to close using those gains (generally higher share price / up days).

I'll be closing cps using realized gains from the BPS closes (rather than credits on open). I will also tend to close the CSP at a relatively good price as the shares will tend to be up from when the BPS was opened (or at least flattish as time decay ate up their value).

It will also be easy to do things like opening qty 50 $30 wide spreads and later close 1 csp, rather than trying to open 9 put spreads of the best available strike while closing 1 275 strike csp. Or do 2x, or whatever multiple - I'll just disconnect the two events and focus only on the total credit / debit, so that the combination of the realized results is positive.

These initial positions are only big enough to close 1 csp with a bit of profit left over for income, but its a start, and each csp will release cash backing I can use for larger BPS positions should I make that decision. Each csp is good for 9 $30 wide bps.

not-advice (really, really not-advice)
Part of my motivation for looking at BPS again is that with the share price at such a relatively low level ($650 pre-split $$) is that there just isn't all that far down to go. As a result I see an opportunity, especially if the share price languishes in this low $200 range, to earn at a high rate. Makes me wish I didn't have those 275 csp, but this does provide a path to continuing income while buying out those csp.

Part of my thinking here is last summer, and in particular August. Last August (2021) is comfortably my best single month, and was characterized by relatively close to the money BPS while the share price was relatively low (not much further down to go). At that time I made heavy use of the 700 and then 730 price levels as supports (233 and 243 in current money) by being $30 to $50 OTM (<$20 in today's money) using very large positions.

I see a similar setup right now. Even if the share price moves down to 180 (540 pre-split) I really don't see a lot further down from there, especially if I'm another $20 OTM anyway (ideally 130/160 BPS in that instance). I see risk / reward strongly in my favor, in a way that I wouldn't see if share price were $400 right now.

Should those 165/195 put spreads hit then I'll have put spreads opening for 5% of the spread width (capital at risk) with a short strike of $585 in pre-split money. If close these for .50 (2/3rds profit) then I'll have earned a bit more than 3% on capital at risk - that's a rate I'll take every day and 3 times on Sunday.

And manage aggressively for minimum risk. As always that'll mean early recognition of winnings - it will also mean rolling early if we approach the short strike, rather than trying to wait something out, and rolling for maximum strike gain - which works best if you start already OTM). Heck - earnings on a single position can be so high that monthly earnings accumulate in a single week.

Seems to have been a lot of puts assigned overnight... I think the theory was that it was folks getting margin-called needing the money... either that or people think we've bottommed and are going up from here...

That would be really nice if this were the bottom.

And then there is prediction such as this:

What does that a drop like that do to Tesla?