Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DOUBLE BULLISH DIVERGENCE CAN BE SEEN ON THE 30M TIMEFRAME.
If you have time, I'm trying to understand this, it is fascinating as I think I've intuited this (the strategy, not the underlying equations, if that makes any sense). I looked up RSI and MACD in order to reveal the DBD, haven't used these indicators before and I'm still not able to see it clearly.

Excuse the crude drawing, but are these the points you are referring?

Screenshot 2022-11-16 4.21.11 PM.png

I had though about selling shares in pre-market this morning, but chickened out. @Yoona, do you know how often the low of the day is below Pre-market low?

Yesterday, I should not have bought back my CC for Friday hoping for another leg in today. I need to learn how often you can buy back positions the next day for more than you closed the day before. I'm guessing that with extrinsic burn, it doesn't happen too often unless the SP gaps up significantly.
sry, i didn't bring my laptop/data on this vacation

Used the 2nd pivot point trader’s cheat sheet and today’s Fibonacci series guesses to buy back this week’s 195&200 CCs as well as 15 shares in the 187s. Waiting on a bounce to roll out and up $5. Still holding-p190s so may pick up more shares or roll tomorrow.

Really love that the cheat sheet summaries all the various TA levels for today. Very useful for trading day trading or to find a target level.
TSLA - Tesla Stock Trader's Cheat Sheet - Barchart.com
Really, really appreciate the barchart link / info. Not enough thumbs up available on that post :)

Scratching my head a bit on my TSLA was so weak yesterday, I didn't see any real reason for this

Given that this seemed a bit non-sensical and hoping this was a local bottom, I setup a optimistic buy order for my 15x Jan 24 -c266's, which eventually triggered late in the day while I was at a concert, will look to resell when we go back up

Still 15x -c180, 5x -p195/-c195, 5x -c200 in play this week, could roll the -c180's profitably now, might do that later, don't know, wait and see

Scratching my head a bit on my TSLA was so weak yesterday, I didn't see any real reason for this

Given that this seemed a bit non-sensical and hoping this was a local bottom, I setup a optimistic buy order for my 15x Jan 24 -c266's, which eventually triggered late in the day while I was at a concert, will look to resell when we go back up

Still 15x -c180, 5x -p195/-c195, 5x -c200 in play this week, could roll the -c180's profitably now, might do that later, don't know, wait and see
What are your current ideas for the -c180?
Premarket looks like you may get better options... Unless this thing gets pushed down again before job numbers that may be good and cause a bounce.

Last edited:
What are your current ideas for the -c180?
Premarket looks like you may get better options... Unless this thing gets pushed down again before job numbers that may be good en cause a bounce.
It bounced and then fell again...

I'm thinking to roll them up to -c185, something like that. I kinda want them to exercise as I wanted to de-risk a little and get some extra $$$ on the account... pfff

This market, you have to play every day as it comes

So I have Jan 23 600/800 BPS. I somehow have not been worried about these, but now I’m thinking there is something wrong with my wiring and I should take some conservative move to roll them out further.

Would you:

1) roll right now
2) roll on the next stock climb (10-20%)
3) you think stock will climb above 900 at some point before end of year so deal with it then
4) don’t do anything, stock will be above $740 (break even point) at expiration

Thoughts?
These are cash secured so no margin concerns. I do have some long term and short term cap gains this year so maybe I should definitely roll a portion just to zero those out, and wait and see on the rest.

Most scenarios I would be okay unles the stock price stays this low or lower until Jan 23.

I would think inflation easing up will jolt markets up before then but WTF I’m no macro expert!

Well apparently being mostly right about inflation easing isn't enough. I forgot that I am definitely not a FED nor Elon & Twitter expert.

I am an idiot. These things were 25% in the green in September. I thought about closing out and getting rid of them, but I prefered to not accrue more capital gains this year thinking I could just wait until January. Greed and trying to trade around tax timing have gotten the best of me.

Even a month ago, these now 200/266 BPS were at a loss but at a stable point when the stock was ~ $220-230. At that price, the time decay wouldn't hurt nor help, the loss would be similar near expiration. I could be comfortable at that point being patient, even if the share price didn't recover, I could roll the position. But the stock dropping 20% over the last month while SPY is actually up is a killer.

Now the position is at a major loss, and extremely sensitive to share price swings. I am trying to get an opinion of what range of share prices you expect to see over say the next month. The stock price being at $180, $200, or $220 are big differences for how much is lost when closing this position.

So that's all the bad news. On the bright side, it was only (only?) a quarter of my total trading funds. The 1/2 in IRAs are looking good for the long term. The other 1/4 was in the same taxable account holding shares. Regardless of this trade, I was thinking about converting those to LEAP call spreads. Since I'm at such a loss with the BPS, I don't have to worry about tax considerations when I sell the shares and convert to LEAPS.

So I am thinking about basically closing all positions and combining the total residual value into some combination Jan 24, June 24, Jan 25 call spreads somewhere in the range of $200/$400 to $250/$400.

These would approximately give me a 5x to 6x return, which would easily put me in a better position than I would have been if the BPS had been profitable and cashed out and the rest held as shares. So if successful, I will be even better off.

Of course there is risk (I mean who would have thought we'd be this low now?) but I'm feeling confident (too confident?) about these. With solid earnings growth and the FED stopping interest rate hikes at somepoint next year, I think think TSLA will likely be at least above say $280 in a year and a half?

Sorry for the long post, but it's a lot of money for me. 1) Thoughts on when best to close this Jan 23 200/266 BPS (what will TSLA max be in next month?) and 2) How dumb are my LEAP call spread ideas?

I am glad I kept the $210cc's but it is really pennies in the end of day. I don't see things getting any better unless we meet the Q4 delivery consensus. I think I am going to go into this P&D report with a boat load of puts as insurance.
Buy shares at the current price, sell Jan 23 -c150's for guaranteed $8 profit?

STO 5x 11/18 -p185 @$5.1
STO 5x 11/25 -p190 @11.1 -> have a buy order for this week's -p195's to complete that roll for the better strike and some beer-money, but it missed by 10c, grrr!

And the last hour TSLA got detached from the indices, would be green otherwise, instead it's being heavily capped by the looks of it