Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very interesting @ 192. I'm looking at the 1D candles from today and yesterday and they look the same as both printed a higher low. Shouldn't that continue wave 3? Or is it not dependent on that as much as the sub-waves?
The dip today is too severe for it to be part of a smaller degree sequence. If I was a bull with money, I'd try to get 205 at all costs before letting it go. It's much more cost effective than trying to extend wave 3, only to orchestrate another dip for wave 4.

Once a big impulsive wave 1 is complete, wave 2 can retrace a lot deeper than 192 without hurting the overall sentiment. Like so.:

1668559202767.png

Most of the big runs started with low IV. I guess it makes sense from the big boys perspective. Load on calls on the cheap when IV is low and let the spring loose. I really think we will break decisively one way or the other.
big runs start once all the initial dip buyers have either cashed out of been squeezed out of the stock. People have to say "here we go again, new lows incoming" before we go higher. We're not there yet. Wave 1 is not the place for that big run anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: Discoducky
The dip today is too severe for it to be part of a smaller degree sequence. If I was a bull with money, I'd try to get 205 at all costs before letting it go. It's much more cost effective than trying to extend wave 3, only to orchestrate another dip for wave 4.

Once a big impulsive wave 1 is complete, wave 2 can retrace a lot deeper than 192 without hurting the overall sentiment. Like so.:

View attachment 875007
I guess I shouldn't say things too definitively. It's not that the dip is too severe for a smaller degree sequence. It's just that the smaller degree sequence I have in mind, given the current backdrop, is too small for a dip of this magnitude. If tomorrow I wake up and Buffett says he's buying TSLA, sure, we can go straight to 209 in one session and we'll probably end wave 1 @ 230. For the time being, I'm gonna be cautious and assume nothing crazy is going to happen this week. I DON'T think 200.77 is the top, for what it's worth. Momentum is still there.

Anyhow, I've financially and mentally prepared for a TSLA winter. Hope everyone has a clear path to surviving the bumpy quarter ahead.

Last edited:
I was doing great day trading shares today until the missile strike crashed the market and caused a $3 loss on a bunch of shares I had bought. I did used the dip to buy back my -210CC for Friday. Hopefully the market recovers tomorrow and I can sell it again for more profit.

Did the same, closed my -210CCs 18/11 on the dip today.

hoping to see a +5% day to sell new CCs

Why not sell at the money CCs on the shares that are $3 under water?

You know - wheel it
Probably more risk, you have to be fully convinced that we are near the bottom. I had a bunch of shares that I bought for buy/write buy tsla kept dropping and there wasn’t much I could do.

Luckily I had sold some TSLA shares earlier during the year. I ended up selling most of my B/W last week in the 185-190 range because I could offset the losses against my gains from earlier in the year ci actually have some LEAPS that are -50% and I wonder if it’s better to just take the loss on those and rebuy a different/strike once we have more clarity on macro and Q4.

I feel like the stock is not going to go up meaningfully until Q4 earnings.

Talking about taxes do you guys feel like tax loss harvesting could cause more weakness in TSLA or have we already seen the worst of it?

I was doing great day trading shares today until the missile strike crashed the market and caused a $3 loss on a bunch of shares I had bought. I did used the dip to buy back my -210CC for Friday. Hopefully the market recovers tomorrow and I can sell it again for more profit.
I'm just wondering for day trades why not just day trade something like QQQ or SPY instead? At this moment in time (Short term) TSLA is under performing it's beta so you would get just as much return from an index day trade as you would from trading TSLA, but the downside isn't as bad.

I'm just wondering for day trades why not just day trade something like QQQ or SPY instead? At this moment in time (Short term) TSLA is under performing it's beta so you would get just as much return from an index day trade as you would from trading TSLA, but the downside isn't as bad.
I've gotten pretty good at churning TSLA for $1 several times a day using the Fibs. I'll have to see if I can do the same on the QQQ. The missile strike was kind of a one off that crashed everything.

Why not sell at the money CCs on the shares that are $3 under water?

You know - wheel it
Because if the SP keeps dropping I need to sell those shares for extra Margin, and the more it drops, the more money I would lose selling them. They were a few thousand shares I was churning (successfully) when TSLA was in a tight range until the missile hit Poland.

I've gotten pretty good at churning TSLA for $1 several times a day using the Fibs. I'll have to see if I can do the same on the QQQ. The missile strike was kind of a one off that crashed everything.
Fair enough, if you have a decent feel of the technicals + gut feelings on the stock then of course trade what you know.

Because if the SP keeps dropping I need to sell those shares for extra Margin, and the more it drops, the more money I would lose selling them. They were a few thousand shares I was churning (successfully) when TSLA was in a tight range until the missile hit Poland.
Yes when TSLA is in a weak position -3-6% days are not uncommon and selling CC's may be a good way to generate income but it's like putting a band aid over a missing limb.

Reactions: BornToFly
I use TD and whenever I try to sell options on QQQ or SPY they require much more margin than other securities. I sell options on ARKK and other stocks without owning the underlying stock and the margin requirement is much less. Anyone else have this experience?

I use TD and whenever I try to sell options on QQQ or SPY they require much more margin than other securities. I sell options on ARKK and other stocks without owning the underlying stock and the margin requirement is much less. Anyone else have this experience?
from my limited experience, daytrading on SPY is better but the problem is
  • stock is 2x as expensive than TSLA
  • options prems are cheaper than TSLA
therefore, income is less on SPY for the same capital/strategy

the one thing going for TSLA is the "guaranteed" MMD, which means high probability of a daily dip and chance to buy low

so far, my strategy is
  • just be happy with $1-2/day and be done with it; overtrading introduces risk
  • go to a fib line or supp/res and wait there for the algos to arrive; then trade the reverse if it looks confirmed
  • withdraw profits right away to another account; this gives me sense of small victories throughout the week... and because i see money coming in, there is less pressure to make risky options bets (ie now i can do 20% OTM instead of 10%)
  • i am exploring the idea of daytrading on Fri afternoons and be extra active on the lookout... retail is tired and maybe out of money, but i think this is the time where institutions are positioning for next week - see if they are loading (yay!) or dumping prior to weekend
  • i am currently backtesting 5/13 EMA on the 1st hr of TSLA - does it give good indication of dip where i can buy low?

Last edited:
from my limited experience, daytrading on SPY is better but the problem is
  • stock is 2x as expensive than TSLA
  • options prems are cheaper than TSLA
therefore, income is less on SPY for the same capital/strategy

the one thing going for TSLA is the "guaranteed" MMD, which means high probability of a daily dip and chance to buy low

so far, my strategy is
  • just be happy with $1-2/day and be done with it; overtrading introduces risk
  • go to a fib line or supp/res and wait there for the algos to arrive; then trade the reverse if it looks confirmed
  • withdraw profits right away to another account; this gives me sense of small victories throughout the week... and because i see money coming in, there is less pressure to make risky options bets (ie now i can do 20% OTM instead of 10%)
  • i am exploring the idea of daytrading on Fri afternoons and be extra active on the lookout... retail is tired and maybe out of money, but i think this is the time where institutions are positioning for next week - see if they are loading (yay!) or dumping prior to weekend
  • i am currently backtesting 5/13 EMA on the 1st hr of TSLA - does it give good indication of dip where i can buy low?
Agreed, I have a set of friends whose SPY strategy is to play inverse ICs and bet that it is volatile. They win when SPY goes up or down ~>1%, lose when SPY is stable. Typically it takes 10 wins to outweigh 1 loss, but they've ended up winning like 20:1 but the premiums are lower, like you mention, and it ends up being a job (4 to 6 hours a day job).

So I stick with TSLA options :cool: