Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well the P&D report is out and it’s pretty disappointing from delivery standpoint: 439k produced, 405k delivered. Difference explained by unwinding the delivery wave, but that’s not going to convince many who think there is a demand problem.

I expect that this will put the brakes on a rapid near term recovery, and my $125 CCs may unfortunately be safe ☹️. But I’m often wrong, so there’s that.

Reactions: dc_h
Hmmm, I don't think the P&D is too bad, but yeah, really dumb that Tesla didn't guide lower after the GF3 Q2 shutdown, they could have easily said 40-45% this year because of that and the market would have accepted it

Bear in mind that Stan Morgan forecast 399k delivered, and I suspect a "miss" is already baked into the SP to a certain degree, how much though is another matter

But yeah, not stressing about my short calls right now

Last edited:
Results weren't too bad all things considered but inventory grew (almost doubled 37k to 71k) from Q3 per Tesla Daily. The current market is selling now and asking questions later so this probably won't help SP tomorrow.
Using this as a jumping off point - not trying to pick on you @kabin :)

This comment reminds me of something that I've learned over the last 2 years. And a lesson that I need to keep relearning on a seemingly quarterly basis, because I keep forgetting.

For the purpose of what most of us are doing in this thread, and the rest of us are closely related to, we need a short term mindset about the stock price that is SEPARATE from our long term view of the company business value.

The two are not completely disconnected, but for "short" (few months, maybe more!) time periods they can disconnect.

The reason this is important - don't confuse your assessment of the long term business value of the company with your short term view on the stock price.

In this particular instance, with deliveries at 406k (I think it was), I see no other way to view this (using the short term, stock price reaction) point of view as a miss. The analysts have been saying 420s or 4teens, its been getting repeated in the business press. The articles about the miss (FUD from the long term point of view) write themselves.

The energy we put into defending this number and why it won't really matter to the stock price, is all energy and rationale drawn from the long term POV. From that POV we know this doesn't matter. But what short term traders will do with that is something of a mystery - I believe that we all expect Tuesday to start down, and maybe start down a lot ($115? threaten fall below $110?). Because "missed expectations", and not "growing +40% YOY and <25 PE". They're both true - one gets more clicks than the other.

ONE way we get ourselves into trouble is to use long term thinking to make short term decisions.

My long term hat is just fine with this P&D. The short version from this POV is "all is well, long term mission and execution are right on track". With the P&D I'll still listen to quarterly earnings, but I could also tune out the rest of Q1 and be fine.

Using this as a jumping off point - not trying to pick on you @kabin :)

This comment reminds me of something that I've learned over the last 2 years. And a lesson that I need to keep relearning on a seemingly quarterly basis, because I keep forgetting.

For the purpose of what most of us are doing in this thread, and the rest of us are closely related to, we need a short term mindset about the stock price that is SEPARATE from our long term view of the company business value.

The two are not completely disconnected, but for "short" (few months, maybe more!) time periods they can disconnect.

The reason this is important - don't confuse your assessment of the long term business value of the company with your short term view on the stock price.

In this particular instance, with deliveries at 406k (I think it was), I see no other way to view this (using the short term, stock price reaction) point of view as a miss. The analysts have been saying 420s or 4teens, its been getting repeated in the business press. The articles about the miss (FUD from the long term point of view) write themselves.

The energy we put into defending this number and why it won't really matter to the stock price, is all energy and rationale drawn from the long term POV. From that POV we know this doesn't matter. But what short term traders will do with that is something of a mystery - I believe that we all expect Tuesday to start down, and maybe start down a lot ($115? threaten fall below $110?). Because "missed expectations", and not "growing +40% YOY and <25 PE". They're both true - one gets more clicks than the other.

ONE way we get ourselves into trouble is to use long term thinking to make short term decisions.

My long term hat is just fine with this P&D. The short version from this POV is "all is well, long term mission and execution are right on track". With the P&D I'll still listen to quarterly earnings, but I could also tune out the rest of Q1 and be fine.

2 weeks ago when SP breached 130, I sold ATM CCs instantly.

I don’t know what would be the trigger tomorrow to close all my positions and deleverage and sit out.

We are clearly oversold, buyers were stepping in with high volume in the 110s.
Are we going to go test the lows again tomorrow or will we see a sell off ore market then buying volume resume after open?

At this point market is so volatile and oversold it is impossible to predict. My plan was to deleverage tomorrow when we had finished the Christmas rally however if we open -5% I don’t know if I should wait or go at market open.

A beat would have been easier

The P&D report had a -6% effect on Frankfurt trading, I expect the same on WS, or worse. I don’t know if buying resumed Wednesday or if it will have killed the rally.

Attachments

• F69D6998-B267-44B0-8806-46291F59FE11.png
    F69D6998-B267-44B0-8806-46291F59FE11.png
    326.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Reactions: ice and JustMe
I was assigned C123 last Friday (premium earlier in the week was $1,08 and already bought back before trading hours @ $118,08) so that brought me 600 bucks a piece for really not doing very much, apart from keeping the cheeks together on friday and (having seen footage of Wuwa in shanghai and knowing the number of cars on ships) knowing delivery would not impress this weekend. Also openend CC $148 for this week, likely to expire, for a buck. A bit of my losses covered. Rest of the shares: I am still holding on and will be until 2025. Happy New Year!!!

• Informative
Reactions: Max Plaid and ice
Question to anyone who's formed a IC in two steps at Fidelity... will a BPS written (today, tomorrow) and a BCS written later (tomorrow, next day) get paired such that the margin requirement is halved?
In my experience, yes.

EDIT - and the margin calculator should show you this when you have placed the first position, and then test margin impact for the second position.

At least four brokerages cut their price targets and earnings estimates, looking for more downside after the stock suffered its biggest annual loss since going public in 2010.

I wonder if it’s time to reevaluate long term growth along with WS expectations too. -10% on first trading day of the year after worst year ever. First time I am asking myself if the company fundamentals changed with the +39% vs 50% expected growth. When is it time to face reality and readjust? When the stock price plundged 70% or when expected growth went down 20%?