Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I the only one not seeing quotes for many options? Does IBKR have problems, or the options market as a whole?
I'm missing options quotes on IBKR as well, having to feel my way into orders. But it appears to be only for March 31 expiry, the next week expiry and beyond are showing quotes.

Edit: And now they've just appeared for March 31 as well.

I sold 225CC for Friday on the opening pop for 0.2

I wish I had sold more. I will not do anything else today. I hope China numbers are strong tomorrow morning for another pop. I don't expect to be below 190 on Friday, but I also don't think the market is going to do a huge run up before P&D. Maybe we will have a good week next week if there is a solid beat.

Greetings. I've been investing and doing speculation for a long time, with several periods trading options. One thing I've learned is that options really vary depending on the nature of the underlying. For a couple months I've been dabbling in TSLA options. I've been trying to find a strategy that fits. Lately, I've been following the sort of "tasty trade" method: Sell wide strangles at 1SD and then roll up the untested sides. Unfortunately, TSLA has been so dynamic that I keep rolling myself into being short a straddle (or too close for comfort.)

I'm new here, and it seems the posters in this thread are doing weekly strangles? I'd love it if anyone could point me to a summary of the strategy you are following-- particularly how you manage positions as the stock moves.

I'm trading from a cash account (no margin is a rule for me) and have 200 shares of TSLA and enough cash to sell 200 more shares worth of cash secured puts. So I can do 2 short calls and 2 short puts at a time.

Thanks in advance!

PS-- I am reading this thread from the beginning, but it is 1360 pages so will take me awhile. I too started thinking of the "wheel" strategy".

Last edited:
Irritating! Earlier when it was ripping, put a $2.4 limit buy to the -p190's I sold Friday, of 60% profits and a chance to resell, missed by 16c 🤬

Is everyone selling tech and buying the banks?
I put in a STC order for my $190P's this morning - opened for $7 each (part of a collar) Friday and closed for $2.75 this morning.

Also closed a ratio of the Calls $200's at $4.25 each to pay for the Put closing - now free rolling 03/31 $200's at $0 cost basis

Looking to be out for the P&D next week - so I am letting these run this week to see if we get a good pop near or just over $200.

I'd missed selling puts spreads at the dip to 190 ... set a walk-away open order for -177.5p/+172.5p at .75 , never got there.

Options Volume (where contracts > 500) as of 3pm.
Call to Put ratio is 2.52:1 , c200 is hot, +-$5 strike are second up.

Screen Shot 2023-03-27 at 3.12.59 PM.png

Last edited:
I'd missed selling puts spreads at the dip to 190 ... set a walk-away open order for -177.5p/+172.5p at .75 , never got there.

Options Volume (where contracts > 500) as of 3pm.
Call to Put ratio is 2.52:1 , c200 is hot, +-$5 strike are second up.

View attachment 921916

Looks like we drift to 200 max before Friday.

I STO 2x -P185. I plan to BTC on TSLA’s next manic episode to 197 or so tomorrow morning or whenever it comes 😆

(Already sitting on 5x -P187.50 from $4 for Friday. Same plan.)

Good China delivery numbers overnight might give us a pop like last week. Planning to close my 200s before close today.
Quite possible and I thought to do the same, but the huge dump into close spiked IV and the call premiums actually went up as the SP dropped 🤪

Anyway, I'm not too worried about 20x -c200's, I have my July -c250 safety-roll there if needed...

As for delivery numbers, all reported territories in Europe absolutely bossing it, seems Denmark is also going nuts too, +200% yoy