Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We hit $169.19..

I shouldn’t have doubted. As a noob I still need to work on my anxiety…and stretch my risk tolerance a bit more.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Yes, you could have done better. But you didn't know it was going to drop to $169 (or maybe even lower this week). The stock could have taken off and you would have been confronted with a much bigger loss. You limited your loss and that was the wisest thing to do.

We hit $169.19..

I shouldn’t have doubted. As a noob I still need to work on my anxiety…and stretch my risk tolerance a bit more.
It happens to everybody. Happened to me. Rolled those puts up to 175 too early. Should have been more decisive and done it on Friday.
It's not just our risk tolerance, but also our psychology as TSLA investors. Remember, we wear 2 hats. The more we follow the news and discussions, the more we feel like the stock should go one way or the other. That's why I've been trying to cut all of those things off completely and just focus on the chart. However, deep down I'm ALWAYS bullish long term and that does interfere with my decisions and emotions from time to time. I don't lose sleep when the stock crashes but when it rallies I'm on edge all day. So recognize that, and try to incorporate that into your risk management routine.

Last edited:
@MaChiMiB ,

Risky, not crazy. I'm a LEAP kind of guy, I just don't know when to cash them in and buy shares. I have lots of Dec 25 $390's, but lots of HODLing shares.

Farthest OTM I see in the option chain is $390 strike; are you seeing $450's offered anywhere?

@Cosmacelf , I rolled my 2024 LEAPS into 2025 expirations long ago. I can't wait to see if my "strategy" will pay off.
Would you kindly describe your technique for the LEAPs roll?

Hindsight is always 20/20. Yes, you could have done better. But you didn't know it was going to drop to $169 (or maybe even lower this week). The stock could have taken off and you would have been confronted with a much bigger loss. You limited your loss and that was the wisest thing to do.

Thank you. I do feel like an idiot and I appreciate your point. It could have just as well gone the other way and the losses would’ve been much bigger as you say. Better safe than sorry and live to trade another day.

I’m learning that labeling myself positively or negatively in hindsight based on trades I take is foolish and an illusion, since, for example, if TSLA continued to go up after I BTC this morning I’d feel very smart for doing so, but not closing when I did would have also been a gamble.

So yeh, I can't really attribute being smart or an idiot to such decisions, especially as there was at least some thought process behind it.

It happens to everybody. Happened to me. Rolled those puts up to 175 too early. Should have been more decisive and done it on Friday.
It's not just our risk tolerance, but also our psychology as TSLA investors. Remember, we wear 2 hats. The more we follow the news and discussions, the more we feel like the stock should go one way or the other. That's why I've been trying to cut all of those things off completely and just focus on the chart. However, deep down I'm ALWAYS bullish long term and that does interfere with my decisions and emotions from time to time. I don't lose sleep when the stock crashes but when it rallies I'm on edge all day. So recognize that, and try to incorporate that into your risk management routine.

Yes, that feeling of being on edge is quite annoying. For me It’s like a never-ending Tetris game where pieces are flying at me and I’m constantly trying to figure out what’s the best play at the moment. Which is why sometimes when I go flat at a loss, the relief is welcome (or so I tell myself…lol).

I’m going to watch TSLA action today and tomorrow and decide what to put on. I know I’ll make back the -$7.5k and more soon. Just frustrating. At least now I don’t have to worry anymore if TSLA closes at $180 or $182.50 this Friday 😝 (but seeing how TSLA is struggling this morning in the low $170s, they would maybe have still been safe)!

Thank you. I do feel like an idiot and I appreciate your point. It could have just as well gone the other way and the losses would’ve been much bigger as you say. Better safe than sorry and live to trade another day.

I’m learning that labeling myself positively or negatively in hindsight based on trades I take is foolish and an illusion, since, for example, if TSLA continued to go up after I BTC this morning I’d feel very smart for doing so, but not closing when I did would have also been a gamble.

So yeh, I can't really attribute being smart or an idiot to such decisions, especially as there was at least some thought process behind it.
The labeling based on hindsight - that is a personal insight that many people never have for themselves.

The question to be pondering, and this is generalized for all of us including me -- what did you know THEN that you could have used, given the new information you have now about how things work, that would lead you to make a difference decision in a similar situation in the future. I gotta work on that - it goes better with a story.

Years back, in the 08/09 time frame, I found a dividend paying company that I KNEW was mis priced. They were paying a $1/share annual dividend and shares cost $40 (10% dividend). The company financials were so stable / good that it was a great deal at $80 / 5% dividend. It was such a good deal that it took me 2 weeks of wondering what I was missing before I finally pulled the trigger.

And it worked EXACTLY the way I hoped it would, as I owned that company for 6ish years. The dividend increased every quarter, not just annually, and eventually split and sold for about $40.

The problem was after I saw it, did my due diligence.. then I dabbled. I bought $5k at a time when I could have invested $20k and should have done $50k.

The learning - when I see something that good, and I do my due diligence, then don't dabble.

The result - Tesla came along in 2012, 4 years later. When I test drove the car (wow - the product matters; it was my personal iPhone moment), I didn't dabble when we invested. We got our personal maximum sized position that we were willing to take on at that point in time. Today I get to tell this story while retired, partly due to that decision. And the mistake that preceded it.

The decision in 08/09 wasn't a mistake. Just that something that in hindsight I would do differently in the future. And did.

What did you know at the time that you didn't put enough priority on? Or what didn't you know, but now realize that you should have learned, before making that decision? So that you put that priority / do that research, the next time a similar situation arises?

The labeling based on hindsight - that is a personal insight that many people never have for themselves.

The question to be pondering, and this is generalized for all of us including me -- what did you know THEN that you could have used, given the new information you have now about how things work, that would lead you to make a difference decision in a similar situation in the future. I gotta work on that - it goes better with a story.

Years back, in the 08/09 time frame, I found a dividend paying company that I KNEW was mis priced. They were paying a $1/share annual dividend and shares cost $40 (10% dividend). The company financials were so stable / good that it was a great deal at $80 / 5% dividend. It was such a good deal that it took me 2 weeks of wondering what I was missing before I finally pulled the trigger.

And it worked EXACTLY the way I hoped it would, as I owned that company for 6ish years. The dividend increased every quarter, not just annually, and eventually split and sold for about $40.

The problem was after I saw it, did my due diligence.. then I dabbled. I bought $5k at a time when I could have invested $20k and should have done $50k.

The learning - when I see something that good, and I do my due diligence, then don't dabble.

The result - Tesla came along in 2012, 4 years later. When I test drove the car (wow - the product matters; it was my personal iPhone moment), I didn't dabble when we invested. We got our personal maximum sized position that we were willing to take on at that point in time. Today I get to tell this story while retired, partly due to that decision. And the mistake that preceded it.

The decision in 08/09 wasn't a mistake. Just that something that in hindsight I would do differently in the future. And did.

What did you know at the time that you didn't put enough priority on? Or what didn't you know, but now realize that you should have learned, before making that decision? So that you put that priority / do that research, the next time a similar situation arises?

Excellent points and what a story!

For me this morning I’d say it was mainly fear based on the bullish momentum in the wider market, taken together with the excited TSLA PM high of $174 to start off Monday (which usually dips after a Friday run, and this bullishness already got my anxiety going at 7am today), plus the wicks under the candles TSLA was putting in, especially the green ones after the long-legged thin one right before. Scared me out.

To me this implied TSLA was not tanking anytime soon and better de-risk at a loss and reposition once things become clearer.

Lessons:

1) Pre-market doesn’t always foretell the trading day. Don’t let it bias me.

2) Wait longer to see the trading action play out. After a week ending with a +$9 candle it’s less likely that another $10 candle will be put up without a significant catalyst such as news or something similar.

3) If I’m not 100% certain in my decision, then slowly scale out of contract positions instead of all at once. Watch price action some more and act further accordingly.

4) Once a decision is taken, not to fret over it except to learn from it.

5) Get back in the game ASAP and continue onward.

Would love to hear more feedback, add if you have any.

5e352316-2b58-4a49-8b3c-c9f7ee32fde9.jpeg

($TSLA 15-min)

Last edited:
Is there some news out? Entire market just dumped.
Maybe this: $TD Bank's handling of "suspicious" customer transactions led to regulators' refusal to bless the $13.4 billion deal to acquire First Horizon $FHN - WSJ

I don’t see why it would do it though.

Added: “Federal Reserve Senior Loan Officer Opinion Survey For Apr. Says For Loans To Households, Banks Reported Lending Standards Tightened Across All Categories Of Residential Real Estate Loans Other Than Gov-Sponsored Enterprise Eligible Mortgages”

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf and EVNow
What can happen from Gamma with decently OTM calls or puts?
Gamma represents the rate of change in the Delta for a unit price change in the underlying stock. That means, if you see a move like Friday, when the stock price suddenly rose with more than 5% the gamma makes the delta rise significantly resulting in a very quick loss for people who sold short term OTM calls.

Gamma represents the rate of change in the Delta for a unit price change in the underlying stock. That means, if you see a move like Friday, when the stock price suddenly rose with more than 5% the gamma makes the delta rise significantly resulting in a very quick loss for people who sold short term OTM calls.

That’s only if it goes ITM, right?

@MaChiMiB ,

Risky, not crazy. I'm a LEAP kind of guy, I just don't know when to cash them in and buy shares. I have lots of Dec 25 $390's, but lots of HODLing shares.

Farthest OTM I see in the option chain is $390 strike; are you seeing $450's offered anywhere?

@Cosmacelf , I rolled my 2024 LEAPS into 2025 expirations long ago. I can't wait to see if my "strategy" will pay off.
Thank you for your support.
I'm in Germany and many brokers only offer subscription warrants for TSLA. Those stretch up to $800 in June 2026. Those seem a tad too risky 😉

That's another head scratcher for me. If the emitter (big bank) goes bust, those warrants go with them. So US options would be more save, but also more hassle since I'd had change the broker to e.g. IB (or Lynx) and do US tax stuff. Any Europeans here here who know some good tutorials on this stuff?