Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
good thing I was babysitting till the very end. Rolled my weeklies to 200C 6/16. Gonna wait and see. If it was me, I'd not try and stay in front of this thing. The distraction argument may or may not have substance, but traders-gamblers don't care. You're not trading Tesla the company. You're trading TSLA the stock.

Thanks for the 5/19 -P165 trade you posted yesterday, I’m holding 35x @ $3.48. Looks like a sure winner now if TSLA stays over $170 next week while it finds it’s new spot 🙏

I’m holding currently:
-P165 5/19 @ $3.48
-C190 5/19 @ $0.50

I plan to BTC the -P165 at highs ($175-180) early-mid next week for pennies, just to be safe.

Re the -C190 5/19 you mentioned you rolled your weeklies, did that also include the 5/19 -C190. Are they in peril by next Friday?

Fun times!!

Thanks for the 5/19 -P165 trade you posted yesterday, I’m holding 35x @ $3.48. Looks like a sure winner now if TSLA stays over $170 next week while it finds it’s new spot 🙏

I’m holding currently:
-P165 5/19 @ $3.48
-C190 5/19 @ $0.50

You mentioned you rolled your weeklies, did that also include the 5/19 -C190. Are they in peril by next Friday?

Fun times!!
I dont know if they are gonna be fine and I dont want to find out. When things like this comes out and blindsides everybody, I dont want to predict. only react.

So yeah, I don't think Elon being Twitter CEO had any impact whatsoever on his ability to run Tesla - he has a huge capacity for multi-tasking and has set Tesla up as a well-oiled machine running just the way he wants it, with like-minded and very smart folks doing the bulk of the work

We all know this...

But others don't see this the way we do, they think that Twitter was detracting from Musk's ability to run Tesla properly and this impacted the TSLA sentiment

Ergo it's a very positive catalyst for the stock and is making me revisit my call strategy. Up until 15:44 I was watching the price fade into close and still feeling OK with letting my shares go to sell puts, now I'm really not sure it's the best way forward

So tomorrow, assuming my calls aren't exercised overnight, I will look to roll them. Exactly to what remains to be seem, there's still a straight roll to July -c165's, but I don't see that helping much, a better strategy would be to flip to 30x July -p230's. I would then revert back to my previous call selling with a handful of contracts each week

Maybe the Hedgies do me a favour and try to hold below 170

I may have changed my mind by market open tomorrow

Last edited:
I’m not too worried about my short calls yet. This is a good thing for Tesla and I understand if it runs a bit from here, but I don’t feel like it was really Elon running Twitter that had the share price down lately. And I don’t think having someone else nominally running Twitter in a month and half will impact Tesla immediately.

Until we see tangible signs of margin improvement, I still think we’re range bound around 160-180. I could see us up in the morning tomorrow but then fading back to 170 by end of day. That being said, tomorrow I’m probably going to roll my -c170s out a couple weeks to -c175s to try to stay ATM.

I’m holding currently:
-P165 5/19 @ $3.48
-C190 5/19 @ $0.50

I plan to BTC the -P165 at highs ($175-180) early-mid next week for pennies, just to be safe.

Re the -C190 5/19 you mentioned you rolled your weeklies, did that also include the 5/19 -C190. Are they in peril by next Friday?

Fun times!!

Curious if the 35x p165 are cash or margin backed? They’re looking great right now…just don’t forget what happened last year.

Curious if the 35x p165 are cash or margin backed? They’re looking great right now…just don’t forget what happened last year.

Right now it’s backed by TSLA long shares I’m carrying in the account, so I guess technically on margin if they go ITM and get exercised. I hope that doesn’t happen. If it does, my plan is to turn around and sell them. Maybe via ATM CCs to capture some gains on the way.

Hopefully the -P165 doesn’t go deeply ITM by next Friday, and certainly not with TSLA even plunging more and testing 158-154 again, because then I will be out of luck and upside down. But not likely without a black swan or macro dumping.

Ideally I get to BTC it on Monday and Tuesday for nice 85-90% gains when/if we touch 175-178.

IMG_9097.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: DaBooster
Beware of your own psychology as well as others’.

Have you realized how much “sentiment” has changed in just 2 weeks? Has Tesla discovered a cure for cancer? No, there has been absolutely nothing different about the company that has occurred in the last 2 weeks. The only thing that changed is the price action.

Ok, so Elon going back to full time CEO-ing Tesla might not be an earth shattering change in reality. But, what if we open tmr at 175 and MMs race to delta hedge? One thing feeds on another and maybe we’ll see 180. Then people are going to think to themselves the big boys must be buying because they like this news. So now the people are going to buy some for themselves. And what if Tesla raises prices by just another measly $250? Suddenly everybody is going to associate this latest gamma squeeze with the TWTR CEO and suddenly it becomes the best thing that has happened to Tesla since the model S. What if Adam Jonas writes a letter saying they like this decision from Elon?

Im not saying these things will happen, but we have seen enough to see its a possibility. The bottomline is the world today is different from when you sold those calls and you are simply trying to justify those positions based on how insignificant you think this announcement is, thereby suggesting everybody else must feel the same which means the stock shouldnt rally. Yet, as we have seen times and times again, feelings can change with every movement in the SP.

My wave count indicates that 102 was the generational low and 152.3 could have been the last major dip before a sustained multi years bull run. Thats why when my positions were caught offsided, I rolled them out as far as I should reasonably. I will then go back to observe the chart for more clarity. I admitted that I was wrong although I did the best I could.

Im not trying to scare anybody, but please heed my warnings and make sure you dont get yourself dug in unable to think straight under a SP that could spiral out of control.

Last edited:
Right now it’s backed by TSLA long shares I’m carrying in the account, so I guess technically on margin if they go ITM and get exercised. I hope that doesn’t happen. If it does, my plan is to turn around and sell them. Maybe via ATM CCs to capture some gains on the way.

Hopefully the -P165 doesn’t go deeply ITM by next Friday, and certainly not with TSLA even plunging more and testing 158-154 again, because then I will be out of luck and upside down. But not likely without a black swan or macro dumping.

Ideally I get to BTC it on Monday and Tuesday for nice 85-90% gains when/if we touch 175-178.

View attachment 936859

Did you do the math on how fast that margin will dry up if we do drop? IMO that is a perilous position to be in (see this thread in December 2022). I would take those profits and close most of those out ASAP if I were you.

Did you do the math on how fast that margin will dry up if we do drop? IMO that is a perilous position to be in (see this thread in December 2022). I would take those profits and close most of those out ASAP if I were you.

Absolutely.

I did the math, sadly (or fortunately long term) I have almost 8,000 TSLA shares, almost half trapped above $300 with the rest divided between $243 and $215, so there’s plenty support for the 35 contracts on this trade. But your point is well taken.

Medium-term I’m looking to escape those short-term shares with a CB of $215-243 to cover some expenses and am happy to sell NTM CC’s against them as we near their prices and let them get called away.

I’ll BTC the -P165 5/19 at the first wise chance I get during the run tomorrow or Monday (and BTC my -C190 5/19 on any dip tomorrow).

Glad these are my only problems these days, having suffered the December visit to hades and working then feverishly to not lose the account due to a 19x $243 CSP that went ITM during that crash, putting hefty margin exposure on my account. Thankful for having survived, even though I’m upset I didn’t have more liquidity to load the boat at $104.

Last edited:

Have you realized how much “sentiment” has changed in just 2 weeks? Has Tesla discovered a cure for cancer? No, there has been absolutely nothing different about the company that has occurred in the last 2 weeks. The only thing that changed is the price action.

Ok, so Elon going back to full time CEO-ing Tesla might not be an earth shattering change in reality. But, what if we open tmr at 175 and MMs race to delta hedge? One thing feeds on another and maybe we’ll see 180. Then people are going to think to themselves the big boys must be buying because they like this news. So now the people are going to buy some for themselves. And what if Tesla raises prices by just another measly $250? Suddenly everybody is going to associate this latest gamma squeeze with the TWTR CEO and suddenly it becomes the best thing that has happened to Tesla since the model S. What if Adam Jonas writes a letter saying they like this decision from Elon?

Im not saying these things will happen, but we have seen enough to see its a possibility. The bottomline is the world today is different from when you sold those calls and you are simply trying to justify those positions based on how insignificant you think this announcement is, thereby suggesting everybody else must feel the same which means the stock shouldnt rally. Yet, as we have seen times and times again, feelings can change with every movement in the SP.

My wave count indicates that 102 was the generational low and 152.3 could have been the last major dip before a sustained multi years bull run. Thats why when my positions were caught offsided, I rolled them out as far as I should reasonably. I will then go back to observe the chart for more clarity. I admitted that I was wrong although I did the best I could.

Im not trying to scare anybody, but please heed my warnings and make sure you dont get yourself dug in unable to think straight under a SP that could spiral out of control.
Thanks for your insight.

Just an update on what I've been doing, as I mentioned previously the only way to make money on this stock right now was to sell CC's or naked calls or sell the stock to try to time a better entry or sell puts and try to get assigned.

With this Twitter news I think we need to throw that playbook out the window. The stock now becomes very difficult to predict. I've bought back the majority of the shares I sold (still at a lower price than what I sold at) and I need to close my CC's at market open. Again I reiterate the stock becomes difficult to predict (that does not mean it'll go up) so i'll also close out my short puts too.

If I had to guess, this will bring in traders + gamblers + force short positions and puts to close which will lead to a pretty decent pump in the stock. I have no idea where it'll go but I would be surprised if we retested those 150's lows we hit recently.

OTOH, I’m currently holding sold CC:
  • 12May$185
  • 19May$180
  • 16Jun$180
and looking to potentially roll the 12May within several days (Fri close = +73%). The roll candidate 26May$185 showed an increased credit at close Fri vs. Thu of $1.76 vs. $1.07. Personally, I don’t expect the May CC are threatened, but I usually roll at 80%-90% gain rather than wait for expiration, if the roll candidate is attractive. Not sure about the Junes, but that was a roll down and in from a 5-month roll up and out in Feb when SP ran up.
Had some good luck today: btc’d the 12May$185 at $0.04 at market open for a 97% profit, and entered a GTC limit order to sto 26May$185 at $2.00 which hit at the end of the day post-Twitter news. May have to manage all of these if sentiment resets……..

Wise words and I totally agree, nothing changed for Tesla's at all, but TSLA has always been a "story" stock and this does shift the narrative, the sentiment has flipped considerably the last few weeks

Furthermore, Q2 deliveries are looking amazing in Europe - doesn't mean the total P&D will be dramatically higher, but the wave is smoothed, equalling lower logistics costs and certainly seems to be no lack of demand, in the US the low MY inventory would indicate quite the opposite and maybe a price-rise is looming there...?

Needless to say I had another sleepless night running multiple analysis and scenarios on my 90x -c150's. Yesterday I had decided to buy them back, take the loss and go aggressive on puts, but after much reflection this seems like a knee-jerk, emotional reaction and is a very high risk strategy:
  • Implied volatility is very low right now, not a great tie to be selling DITM anything
  • Extrinsic for July -p230 is almost zero
  • Any sudden move down would likely result in an early assignment
So after being wiped-out with calls, I see the potential for a reversal, wouldn't take much, and lose even more in the other direction - this is what happened early 2022, flipping the trade every week led to nearly 7-figure realised losses by March that year

My new plan, which I think is relatively low risk:
  • Allow the calls to exercise
  • BTO 90x December 2025 c150
  • Sell weeklies, aggressive on puts, safe on calls - against the LEAPS
  • With IV still being very low, LEAP prices are still very good for the moment
So the idea is to be able to buy back the shares end of 2025 for what I sold them for today. Is that risky? A little, but would need to be something pretty major for the SP to be below 150 by end 2025

LEAP premiums are still very low - by way of example, I bought Jan 24 c233's last year for $128, so Dec 2025 c150's for $75 seem like a bargain

~140 weeks until expiry, write OTM calls against those, 50c per week, and you'll likely get the premium back, probably safer to write $1 against 45x or $2 against 30x

Also gives a large cash balance for selling puts, which if we think the SP is going to drift upwards, will be a profitable strategy if done carefully with risk management, i.e. commit only 50% of capital on any given week

Will be doing more analysis before markets open

I am not sure what to do today. Any guesses on how high will this run by the end of next week? If we break $177 what is the next stop? We are getting a barrage of good news other than the China OTA update. The Twitter news seem like a good excuse for call buyer to really run this up but who knows 🤷‍♂️ .

OT: I drove the Lucid Air yesterday and I was not impressed. The screen is really small compare to the S and no AP in city streets sucks.

I am not sure what to do today. Any guesses on how high will this run by the end of next week? If we break $177 what is the next stop? We are getting a barrage of good news other than the China OTA update. The Twitter news seem like a good excuse for call buyer to really run this up but who knows 🤷‍♂️ .

OT: I drove the Lucid Air yesterday and I was not impressed. The screen is really small compare to the S and no AP in city streets sucks.
180. Based on pre market action 176.50 is where it seems to have resistance. Once that clears 180 is the next resistance. I would say look for option flow at the open as we could be primed for a gamma squeeze.