Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t recall any significant market reaction from a product release, let alone a single production vehicle. Happy to be wrong but the market knows Cybertruck is coming so this was inevitable. Once it’s ramped and showing up in the financials, that’s a different story.

I’m mostly in -p280 and -c300/320 next week. Still have 30x -p230-255 in the coming weeks.

I let 10x -p195 exercise yesterday and plan to sell maybe 6x NTM puts with that money next week before ER. Figure it’s better use of that money than rolling them flat every week.
I‘m in the same boat.
We’ll see what happens, but next week earnings will drive the stock.

Production is starting a quarter earlier than I expected. This product is bigger than the Model Y in terms of press. We could see a short squeeze start in premarket. We will know soon enough, and there is nothing us regular retail guys can do now anyway. I don't think I want to buy shares or Leaps after the gap up, and I can't sell anymore Calls right now. Maybe buy cheap Puts for a possible pullback, but I'm too cheap to risk that too....

Production is starting a quarter earlier than I expected. This product is bigger than the Model Y in terms of press. We could see a short squeeze start in premarket. We will know soon enough, and there is nothing us regular retail guys can do now anyway. I don't think I want to buy shares or Leaps after the gap up, and I can't sell anymore Calls right now. Maybe buy cheap Puts for a possible pullback, but I'm too cheap to risk that too....

TSLA defied the market on Friday on a day that Rivian was also down almost 3%. Defying gravity in front of earnings? Maybe, but I do wonder if the news had leaked on Friday. I'm also running on 2 hours of sleep after returning from vacation, so maybe I'm just delirious. 😆

Thinking of selling Jan/Mar 350 Puts at the open- hope higher IV will negate the higher SP.
have CC at 350 against all personal shares and takeing on some risk is ok for me, as is the CCs getting assigned. But if SP moves too quickly to like 330 I will likely do a roll….
cheers!!

Thinking of selling Jan/Mar 350 Puts at the open- hope higher IV will negate the higher SP.
have CC at 350 against all personal shares and takeing on some risk is ok for me, as is the CCs getting assigned. But if SP moves too quickly to like 330 I will likely do a roll….
cheers!!
I'm considering more of a straddle by selling CSP at -300 strike. I have CC at 350 strike for January.

• Informative
Reactions: elasalle
Hi @dl003

Is you plan still the same:

-Net long delta to $296, then close positions and observe.

-If we are rejected at $296, wait for a retest of $230-$217.

-If $217 holds, then net long delta for another test of the resistance trend line later this year, but know the subsequent correction will reach $217 minimum.

-If $217 doesn't hold, then be defensive until we've bottomed out.

-If we break $296, then net long delta to $340.

-At $340, lighten up position and prepare for the pullback to end at $270, then at $270 net long delta to $380.

-At $380, close all long positions.

---

Re close all long at $380, it's so close to $414 ATH, will that not be tested?

In my mind, the question is no longer whether or not we break 300 before ER. The question now is do we break 300 in pre-market on Monday...?
A 4% bump to 300 wouldn't be too crazy, but I don't think the first line-test Cybertruck is enough to make it happen. There is still a solid 6 weeks minimum before anything resembling mass production is likely to start.

Personally though, looking at the footage from Austin the magnitude of investment and progress in the casting area makes me think that Tesla is making serious progress in a broader context. I think they might be able to justify the current P/E with what will happen over the next year, but without significant earning expansion I struggle to see how the stock will gap-up.

I am thinking of opening a +250/-260 BPS for Friday but may just wait until Thursday. Last week I opened both my positions with 1DTE, snagged about $1.50 with a hybrid IC using CC on the call side. Lot's of inflow to P250, P260, not sure why though. C260, C300, C315 saw a decent increase as well. I'll wait for a pushdown to sell into strength, may set it at a lower strike if the opportunity is there.

EDIT: -C345 looks interesting for Friday, not seeing how we could possibly hit that with CT news alone.

day2dayoi-14-17.png

Last edited:
While the Cybertruck news is somewhat a non-event, it does remove a bit of uncertainty going into earnings.
268 remains the big test. The entire bounce from 102, while looking deceptively impulsive, has only formed a nearly perfect looking zig zag. This is concerning as it might just have been a big dead cat, hence when I made my bet for 2023, I only went for 250 and not 300.

My read is if P&D is really good, like 20k over, we might see 296-300 before ER. If it's just meeting exp, more consolidation between 260-230. If it's a miss, we test 217.

Since 268 remains the big test for the bulls, I don't think we're going to break it this week. If we could have, we would have.

Today is a tail wagging the dog day. What I don't know is whether these calls getting bought are new calls or short calls being covered before P&D. Net call flow for the week is firmly negative.
View attachment 951575
TSLA is moving in a ascending triangle pattern approaching that 296 level. Wouldn't surprise me to see some sideway down action to 280-282 by Wednesday. I think ER will be good. But will it be good enough to break 300? My read is if it's decent, we might pop to 296-300 on Thursday before a bigger consolidation going into August. If it's great then maybe 340 can be in the bag.
1689605637246.png

Well, I think my 54x -c270's are toast, but that's OK, looks like they'll free-roll to -c280 next week, might do that before earnings and IV crush

Rolled up 30x 7/21 -p270 to -p290 for net +$9 and used the premium to BTC 4x October -c200's, then STO 4x 7/21 -c287.5's with the freed-up contracts

91x -c200's remaining...

I'm also thinking to roll 54x December -c300's to October, would cost around $7 to do so, but then give ATM/weekly roll possibilities to increase the strike - also I can close out 3x of those for each -c200, which would also be interesting to move them to ATM weeklies -> chance to gain weekly Theta and higher strikes, more contracts for then rebuffing the remaining -c200's

All good fun