Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My -P 300 Jan 24s got exercised. Two months out with almost no time value. Is this the start of the market clearing up ahead of a bounce? I have shifted out -p255s to Feb. Is that enough?
In the near SHORT term, this might be the cheapest they could buy the shares to PUT you with. But still, it’s odd..could be that all the premium in PUTS is TOPPED out, if not TAPPED out.

245 is going to provide VERY strong VERY VERY strong upside resistance probably into early next year, can’t really say if FEB ‘24 is enough for that.

So far looks like two days of consolidation in this box:

1698773982586.png

1698774043997.png

Ugh, this big hairy dog is feeling the heat right now! Yeah, I was very smart to buy 200x March -p200's back when the SP was in the 250's, and right now those are 100% up, nice! But being a serial weekly short writer I find myself buried under 120x -p220's, which is cramping my style somewhat

So I'm faced with a conundrum on the short puts:
a) roll them and see if the SP comes back: risk is the SP drops more, no extra loss, but a lot of potential gains gone
b) buy them back and write OTM instead: risk of the SP reversing the moment I do that - have seen this happen multiple times
c) weekly roll and knock off 10x contracts per week: probably the most sensible option straddling with calls

I guess a combination of b & c would be best - roll at -p220, straddle with -c200, write -p180's with the rest of the puts for some more premium to buy back more -p220's, etc...

Also thinking to close out all my exotic LEAP put positions, all too dependent on the SP being up next year, which doesn't seem a given to me any more. I think there's better money to be made in $1 weekly puts and calls
I told you!!! Every frikkin' time... 😖

Isn't that already factored in - like 99%+ analysts think there won't be a hike. So, it all depends on the press conference and tea leaves reading.
I don't know. Markets got destroyed last week. Press conference will matter though. The only person who can drop the SP just by talking like Elon can is Powell....

I love this because you are 100% correct. I can hold these shares I bought for 20+ years and never really let the share price affect me. I can just stay focused on this amazing company, it's bright future, and enjoy being a part of it, in some small way.
With this outlook you might consider not reading this thread. I'm sure it'll be entertaining, which is its own good reason to read :D, but we've also got an outlook and activity that can't help but keep today's share price top of mind.

A big part of what made buy and hold work so well for me previously is that I would go weeks at times not knowing the share price. That only could happen because I didn't care what the stock price was - I knew it hadn't 10x'd yet, and I knew that my fundamental investment thesis hadn't changed or been violated, and nothing else mattered. I did read the main investor's thread throughout, and this forum more broadly, but it was all about the mission, products, strategy, etc.. stuff. That got me enough exposure to ongoing share price gyrations.

I am definitely not trying to chase you off!! Just something to think about.