Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice work. A lot to keep track of!

I'm still holding these covered calls (would like to hold onto the shares if I could):

11/17
15x -C230 @1.00 (currently red 6.32 9.05)
Wondering about this (nutty?) logic: If I BTC this today or tomorrow it will cost me around $8/share ($12k) over what I got for the contracts, that's like locking in the sale on the shares for $230 when it's at $238 now and might go higher by Friday. If I do nothing and let the clock run out and the SP remains around $238-242 range by Friday close, I end up with more or less the same "punishment" but keep the chance we chop tomorrow and Thursday and close Friday around $230-235 in my back pocket. (However, if the SP goes to 245+ I would be stupid for not freeing up the shares and just rolling to maybe Jan 19, 2024 -C265 for $8.70). Is that nutty overthinking?

View attachment 990741

11/24
30x -C235 11/24 @ 3.15 (currently red 6.10 8.07)
15x -C240 11/24 @1.00 (currently red 4.10 5.57)
I'm not worried about these just yet.
Yeah, that's the game though, do you wait and see, with the risk of going ITM or cut your losses now?

Many would say, after the run we've had, that surely we'll get some pause, consolidation, or pull-back, but I've been trapped many times where TSLA just kept going up without any reason, mostly due to options hedging, I think

I think the conventional wisdom, when faced with such dilemmas is to go half...

I'm looking for a pull-back to the low 230's before rolling, as that would yield +$2 for c220's to text week and about the same on -p220, that would allow a reduction in the 100x -c220 to 80x -c200

If necessary I'll roll them out to Sep 2024 -c270 and roll down the -p300's there to -p270, but I prefer not to do that if possible and resume weeklies, but really need to discipline myself to stay away from OTM's!!

How you keep track of all the wheelin and dealin? Just reading them make my tiny head spun round and round.....

For those 100x ITM -c220 guess the expiration are weeks out so they have no chance of being assigned?

I read here somewhere but cannot track it down is it true ITM Call are seldom assigned whereas ITM Put are almost always assigned?
No, they're for this week, but I've never heard of calls being exercised early, in any case, I'm likely to roll them tomorrow anyway, I'm also OK to take them out two weeks - I don't need the income, will see

It's not very complicated, I have shares, short and long LEAP calls and puts, and weeklies, it's fairly well compartmentalised

But I'm looking together out of my LEAPS if/when the SP climbs up above 270, too much capital at stake, I prefer this idea of using 6 month DTE long calls and puts instead, easier to manage and less risk

Yesterday I sold 240 CC and again 245 CC.

Looks like 240 is already in danger. I don't get much gain by rolling to next week - just $5 (may $7.5). @adiggs would you roll today ?

Also I bought back sold 190 puts (limit orders executed) - should I sell puts for this week again. What strike ? 215 gets me 25 cents.

ps : The way I got caught really badly in DITM puts and got assigned was something like this. The SP ran up and I rolled up the put. Next day SP tanked ("Twitter"). I still haven't recovered from those assigned puts.
The ps - that's why I don't roll closer to the money at the same expiration any more. I used to do that as well, and most of the time I'd pick up a bit extra. Maybe 1/3rd more over what i started with. It was never a lot, but it also wasn't trivial.

The problem was that too often, which might only mean 4/year and was actually more frequent than that, the share price would reverse right back into me and whether I ended up goign ITM or not, I need to sweat the position. The emotional turmoil wasn't worth the incremental gain.

What I WILL do is take the desirable early close, and then re-open a new position (even with the same expiration) when that reversal happens. Typically that is the next day at the soonest, but on occasion its the same day (sharp enough reversal after I close my position happens on the day of close). Also doesn't happen often (maybe a couple times in a quarter?), but it gets me a lot better strike than rolling towards the share price.

My 240s are for next week. Looks like the government shutdown stuff is probably behind us - the rest of the actors have indicated support. The remaining wild card doesn't look like it would be immediately market moving (the folks that booted McCarthy decide to boot Johnson, for the same reasons they booted McCarthy).

I'm less thrilled with them today than I was yesterday.

The 240cc's - I would like to get at least 250 for them if I'm letting them go. Using the end of day option chain that'll take a 2 week roll and generate a .50 credit. The 1 week roll only gets me to 245.

I'd say I have a pretty strong bias towards rolling tomorrow. I really dislike rolling with that much time to expiration, but part of the escape hatch on these was that I'd roll out to 250 if they got pressed, and if I sell them off at that point, then the roll will have earned me an extra $10 for the 2 weeks. If the share price comes back down then I'll have earned a week of income over a period of 2-4 weeks, and that's fine. Opening the position in the first place put me into position to earn a bit if the share price headed back down after those few up days that closed out the puts for 90%+.

The biggest "problem" I have right now is that I've such a high % cash, my positive delta is effectively 0. If we go on one of Tesla's epic tears right now, I'm well positioned to miss it. That opportunity cost is something I'm watching carefully - I don't yet have a plan for what I'm going to do about it though.

As for selling new puts - I'm also looking for an entry. With the big move up today, today is not a good day for entering puts for me. If for some reason I strongly believed that today's closing price was a short term low price (and I don't), then I might sell puts. Instead I am continuing to wait for a Put entry.

What I WILL do is take the desirable early close, and then re-open a new position (even with the same expiration) when that reversal happens. Typically that is the next day at the soonest, but on occasion its the same day (sharp enough reversal after I close my position happens on the day of close). Also doesn't happen often (maybe a couple times in a quarter?), but it gets me a lot better strike than rolling towards the share price.
This!.. if for SOME reason I get ITM or too deep ITM for my risk management, I’ll take the hit, and usually either immediately if there is a lot of VOL or
FOMO and write another higher strike, usually covering MOST of the loss. turns a losing position into a break even at best. Or, as you say, wait a day or two especially after large runs and THEN write the new higher strike call. usually, I’ll get all the money back and then some but at least I’ve capped or highly limited further pain.

The other thing one can do sometimes, if if you’re ITM too much, look somewhere BELOW the current share price and price out a call there to BUY, essentially capping the spread between that call and the one you wrote. sometimes, that ends up being cheaper, but in the cases that it is cheaper it usually also means that share price is going to reverse anyway - so it’s a good exercise to perform (no pun intended)

It’s not about if you get knocked down, it’s about how you pick yourself up. ;-0

TSLA tapping $240 in AH 🥳

Are we thinking $242 is a good spot to take profits and watch if it holds and get back in if it does, or is there another level to monitor?
$242 is the target, but we could stretch up to $246 IMO.. $254.xx is VERY big resistance.. if we break that, well all upper strikes are in play.

a. 260 is my 90% confidence max
b. The most dangerous thing you can do right now is to think how can it run against these headwinds. Remember, exit liquidity is only found at the top. Big bois can and will do everything in their arsenal to squeeze smaller shorts out to make room for new baby bulls. Adam Jonas is always on tap.
c. Give urself cushion and wait for that initial big rejection at a certain level. Staring at the screen 8h a day and jacking up your blood pressure wont help. All it takes is 15m of selling and then well have a game plan.

Last edited:
b. The most dangerous thing you can do right now is to think how can it run against these headwinds. Remember, exit liquidity is only found at the top. Big bois can and will do everything in their arsenal to squeeze smaller shorts out. Adam Jonas is always on tap.
c. Give urself cushion and wait for that initial big rejection at a certain level. Staring at the screen 8h a day and jacking up your blood pressure wont help. All it takes is 15m of selling and then well have a game plan.

Let us know please as you see the signals forming and when you sell 😎

I wanted to pick up about 9,000 shares. I have 90X 225 strike Puts for next Friday that I was hoping to use. They won't be worth much tomorrow. Looks like I will close them and just buy the shares around $240. That will take care of about half of my 242.5CC for Friday. If the SP keeps climbing, I will roll them to Jan 2025 300 strike. That will provide good income for the year and free up 9,000 or my old shares from the CCs. Of course, buying the shares around $240 will pretty much guarantee that the SP reverses. You're welcome.

b. The most dangerous thing you can do right now is to think how can it run against these headwinds. Remember, exit liquidity is only found at the top. Big bois can and will do everything in their arsenal to squeeze smaller shorts out to make room for new baby bulls. Adam Jonas is always on tap.
Yes, i quit staring at the screen. It made me nervous and prevented me from peeing straight.

Been working on the alignment.

Here is the slide from Wicked Stocks. Two converging levels at 260. We shouldn't be surprised if TSLA ends this Friday anywhere from 220 to 260 ;)

1700020653513.png

I believe she plays lately very wide IC’s on TSLA which requires huge capital for small but apparently consistent gains. Or something like that.
Yeah, I looked at some of the trades and it was 10c - 20c premium per week, but close to zero risk, maybe if I sold out of everything into cash then it would work

Of course the issue with that approach is that you miss out on any big upside move in the stock, but conversely you don't really care about the downside moves either, assuming your spreads are wide enough

I still think the idea scenario is to be in 50% shares/50% cash and sell weekly $1 puts and calls, I didn't back-test, but my gut feeling is that 90% of the time they would work out, OK: expire or far enough from the strike to roll comfortably

But it's arriving at that bit pot of shares and cash that's not so easy... even at ATH back in 2021, I didn't have much cash, it was all in shares and LEAPS, which devalued very fast when the stock crashed

Now my "poor man's" solution is to play what I would term "Calendar Condors" (I made that up), so the long legs are 3 - 6 months out, the short legs weekly, already explained this, but I'd be looking for a long position with 50c per week value to sell $1 against, look to double the money and bonus points if the SP moves decisively in one direction to close out the long for 2x - 3x initial cost

My game plan was to close my longs at $242

But with that new information in mind I will wait for a pullback. The only problem is some days I am too busy to look at the ticker so it’s a matter of luck if I open this page and see that you have closed your longs then I do the same.

Pre-Market looking pretty ugly for the ITM call gang! Low volume though, I assume some short covering ongoing

I have to deal with 100x 11/17 -c220's, but would really like to offload the underlying Dec 2025 +c200's if we hit 270, so thinking to roll 50x to Sep 2024 -c270 (to preserve capital) and let the rest ride a bit - can always sell them again if it reverses... premiums at 220 are not good enough to keep roll/put straddle at that strike IMO, next week might be different, but not right now and the risk of running up higher is quite strong I would say - TSLA becomes disconnected from reality at times like this

Last edited: