Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great summary, thanks!

@dl003 Fair to say then we range here at least to EOM (like you wrote about the -180/+185 bull put spread) and P&D may be the trigger either way?

I'm confused: I don't view -180p / +185p as a bull put spread; to me, that's a bear put spread since the long put is the higher strike. Is this a typo, or just a difference in terminology?

(Put differently, is this position intended to be profitable if TSLA is below $185 at expiry, or above $185 at expiry?)

Reactions: MikeC and UncaNed
I'm confused: I don't view -180p / +185p as a bull put spread; to me, that's a bear put spread since the long put is the higher strike. Is this a typo, or just a difference in terminology?

(Put differently, is this position intended to be profitable if TSLA is below $185 at expiry, or above $185 at expiry?)
It's not an ordinary put spread.
+2 185P paired with -3 180P. The breakeven point is 168.2. Above 168.2 by 3/22 it'll be in profit.

For what it's worth, here are my recent trades and my current thinking:

I let a batch of 3/1 $200Ps expire worthless on Friday. Oof.
But I rolled some to 3/8 $200P. Yay.
I took profit on some of them at $190. Oof.
But not all of them, and I also hold a bunch of 3/28 $170s that are up bigtime. Yay.
I considered opening some Jan '25 -c200s on Friday, but didn't. Oof.
But I did open them on Monday open and they're already down ~30%. Yay.
But I didn't open as many as I could have. Oof.

At this point, I'm sufficiently wary of a headfake to the upside and covered to the downside that I am being cautious with shorting in the hole here. @dl003's analysis resonates with me. I tend to think we're going down, but would like to leave myself opportunities to take advantage of dead cat bounces or upside surprises, so I'm not all in at this point.

I tend to think we're going down, but would like to leave myself opportunities to take advantage of dead cat bounces or upside surprises, so I'm not all in at this point.

Likewise. Any CCs I’m selling again around here are for July/August >$230 which should leave time and strike headroom for any up surprises but comfort for the more likely down.

Reactions: elasalle
I normally sell calls for income and don’t have much experience buying puts. Though when I did recently they were easily profitable since we’re in a downtrend.

Due to the uncertainty and current sentiments I’m thinking of buying 10x +P180 6/21 (adding extra time so it doesn’t fade on me as we approach the target) @~$17.00, to buy some protection and exposure to gains from any large drops. Cut if we get back over $185-$190.

A couple of questions:

1) Is buying straight puts like this not advised? It’s $17k afterall.

2) Is there a better/cheaper way to get protection and exposure to similar gains from a huge drop?

I’d like to add that I’m very +delta heavy with longs, +C near and LEAPS, and -P that can suffer down to $150. No margin. Just possible maintenance call/assignment risk for the short calls if TSLA goes below $150

Thanks.

1709747058962.png

Last edited:
Reactions: mickificki
For what it's worth, here are my recent trades and my current thinking:

I let a batch of 3/1 $200Ps expire worthless on Friday. Oof.
But I rolled some to 3/8 $200P. Yay.
I took profit on some of them at $190. Oof.
But not all of them, and I also hold a bunch of 3/28 $170s that are up bigtime. Yay.
I considered opening some Jan '25 -c200s on Friday, but didn't. Oof.
But I did open them on Monday open and they're already down ~30%. Yay.
But I didn't open as many as I could have. Oof.

At this point, I'm sufficiently wary of a headfake to the upside and covered to the downside that I am being cautious with shorting in the hole here. @dl003's analysis resonates with me. I tend to think we're going down, but would like to leave myself opportunities to take advantage of dead cat bounces or upside surprises, so I'm not all in at this point.
this is the perfect exemplitive narrative for the options trading thread.

But, technically you’d want to have at least ONE MORE YAY, than oof. Surely you can solve that by EOW.

I normally sell calls for income and don’t have much experience buying puts. Though when I did recently they were easily profitable since we’re in a downtrend.

Due to the uncertainty and current sentiments I’m thinking of buying 10x +P180 6/21 (adding extra time so it doesn’t fade on me as we approach the target) @~$17.00, to buy some protection and exposure to gains from any large drops. Cut if we get back over $185-$190.

A couple of questions:

1) Is buying straight puts like this not advised? It’s $17k afterall.

2) Is there a better/cheaper way to get protection and exposure to similar gains from a huge drop?

I’d like to add that I’m very +delta heavy with longs, +C near and LEAPS, and -P that can suffer down to $150. No margin. Just possible maintenance call/assignment risk for the short calls if TSLA goes below $150

Thanks.

View attachment 1025217
I tend to buy lower strikes than current and closer in, to get higher returns… farther out and close to ATM is more about protecting position, IMHO than profiting from a directional move. Also, to profit more significantly from buying the protection that everyone will WANT, WHEN the stock is going down, is to buy it when NOBODY WANTS it, and we’re past that point now. Just my thoughts. NFA

I tend to buy lower strikes than current and closer in, to get higher returns… farther out and close to ATM is more about protecting position, IMHO than profiting from a directional move. Also, to profit more significantly from buying the protection that everyone will WANT, WHEN the stock is going down, is to buy it when NOBODY WANTS it, and we’re past that point now. Just my thoughts. NFA

Thanks for the insights! Will keep in mind.

Yeh, I know what you mean we are past the time to be buying puts, although if we may still have a $30-$50 elevator exposure downward lurking behind the curtains it may be time nonetheless, or is that just anxiety/fear speaking?

Optimistic Gremlin in ear: Lousy 2024 already priced in. Lowest we’ll go is $160 and bounce.

Last edited:

Yeh, I know what you mean we are past the time to be buying puts, although if we may still have a $30-$50 elevator exposure downward lurking behind the curtains it may be time nonetheless, or is that just anxiety/fear speaking?

Optimistic Gremlin in ear: Lousy 2024 already priced in. Lowest we’ll go is $160 and bounce.
Market seem to be in Euphoria mode today. Nothing seem to turn it red.

Guess this along with any reversal is a chance to buy those Puts when no-one want them.....thinking we are back up.
Let see if we can make a recovery into green today.

1709749745641.png

"any not-as-bad-as-thought results would have a much bigger impact to the upside."
P&D not likely to help, unless big surprise. Tesla energy deliveries, which won't be seen until earnings have potential upside. I feel safe moving my April CC's from 250 to 225 at this point. I moved 3/15 CC's at 215 to 3/8 at 190 for a small credit. I don't want to get too agressive selling CC's. Can get tempting to get too close to the fire on the way down and make up for paper losses and then have realized losses and miss paper gains when / if things turn around. I left my May 2024 250 cc's where they are. Happy to lose shares at 250 for now.

Think of all the castings that were stuck in machines that are now scrap, all the robots that need resetting, lost production, repairs, and lots of other things like that. Not sure if the figure is actually that high but I am no Tesla expert.

5,000 cars per week at $40k ASP = $200 Million per week or $40 million per day (5 day production week), 3 days to hit >$100 million
And that's ignoring all the scrap on the line, restart costs, equipment repair...
There are 6 gigapresses that could have been mid cycle when the factory went dark. All the aluminum has gone solid. Robots all halting in a at least as bad as E-stop manner. Inertia does not stop instantly.

Clearly a lot of cleanup costs, but can’t the production hit be limited to perhaps the extent of inventories? No more price cuts in Europe?

I don’t think one needs Barrons to know that a power failure in a massive factory has lots of unintended consequences, scrap, lost production, etc..

The thing is a power loss is an expected occurrence. Critical systems will generally be designed to stop-safe, although many procedures may not be well tested. There is still a cost, but the magnitude should be minimal.
I'm thinking battery backup / generator backup.

Just realize if one buys ATM puts and the stock goes down, one will really only ever get a buck for a buck (plus some declining portion of the extrinsic value and theta can be a beast), so it’s a safer way to SHORT, but not a levered way to PROFIT.

Even though my wallet got lighter this morning I no longer have the nagging fear of being assign on those -192P contract.

The news seem to get worse everyday. Now projected lost in Berlin is a billion.

What next? Elon selling his stock? Jonas got to scratch his butt hurt after months of pumping the stock?