TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Sending addresses from Google to your Tesla

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by 3s-a-charm, Nov 26, 2014.

1. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

I have a BMW with Connected Drive which allows me (or my assistant) to send addresses from Google desktop to the vehicle so I don't have to enter them in the car while driving. Is this something you can do with Tesla either from Google or from a desktop app? Thank you.

2. GreenT

GreenT Member

Never heard of such a thing ... but sounds like a lovely addition to the app.

3. bsd

bsd Member

The new calendar sync function will pull up addresses associated with calendar events.

4. dpodoll

dpodoll Member

Our LEAF has this feature also

5. swaltner

swaltner Member

It's not supported right now on Tesla vehicles. This is one feature that I've used on the Leaf several times, primarily because the address input interface is HORRIBLE on the Leaf's nav system.

Send a place to your car - Google Maps Help

6. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

My first reaction was--meh! How hard is it to just speak the address with the voice system.
    But then I remembered that I often have to look up addresses/locations or they are sent to me by mail so I have to write it down or take a photo then enter it (manually or verbally) once I get in the car. A one-step process would be pretty convenient.

7. ww73

ww73 Member

+1.

8. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I have actually found the Nav system to be quite good just entering the "name" of the location and not the address. I assume it's doing a Google lookup in the background or something.

9. GoBlue88

GoBlue88 Member

As does my Lexus IS 350. And yeah, it is real convenient especially when someone e-mails an address or you look one up on your computer before leaving home/work/wherever. Just forward it to your car and the route is waiting for you. It's actually quite surprising that the Model S doesn't have this capability.

10. SteveS0353

SteveS0353 Member

If you or your assistant enter an address in a calendar entry on your desktop, and your calendar syncs with your phone and Model S, then you get the calendar entry with address in your Model S. If your assistant has permission to enter a calendar entry on your desktop while you are out of the office, then it will "automagically" appear as a calendar entry in your Model S while you re driving, assuming all of the syncing (desktop <-> iOS or Android phone -> Model S) is set up correctly. All you need to do then is open the calendar entry, and touch the address to aim the nav system appropriately. It works for me.

11. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

That will have to do for now until this feature is somehow added. I often have 5-8 appointments in a short period of time and need all of the addresses pre-loaded before I get going. If I have clients with me in the car it is super convenient to just pull up the list of addresses we are going to and select the right one to navigate to. (I sell real estate, btw).

12. jhs_7645

jhs_7645 VIN: #3305

I know this wasn’t exactly what you asked for, but all your contacts addresses are available to navigate to. All you have to do is put an address(es) in your contacts on your phone, and when it connects via bluetooth your address book is automatically uploaded to the model S.

Now here’s where the trick is: If you want to navigate to John Smith’s house, press the voice button and say “Call John Smith”, (yes, ‘Call’) then it will bring John Smith’s contact info up on the screen and show you the address, tap on the address and boom.. You’re navigating.

13. tliving

tliving Member

Why doesnt the calendar feature work for you? Each apt can have an address and you just tap on them to go there. I use it all the time and it works great. Just make sure you only put in the address. If you put in something like "Chilis, 123 some road, Arlington, VT" it will get confused just the address "123 some road, Arlington, VT" and it works great.

14. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

Yes, for now I will have to adjust my workflow and put in 15-20 min appointments with separate addresses - just clutters up my calendar as I will sometimes go to 8 addresses in 2 hours. Will wait for my car to arrive then experiment. Thank you for all of the suggestions... and Tesla if you're listening please add the "send to car" google functionality in a future release. I'll add it to the suggestions thread too.

15. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

Works in the reverse direction as well. I'll pull up a restaurant's Map Pin from Favorites or a NAV Search and hit "call" instead of navigate, to place a to-go order.

16. Bugeater

Bugeater Member

I really wish they would allow you to sync your Google Maps account with the Model S nav. Then you could map them ahead of time on Google Maps and they would magically appear on the Model S nav!

17. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

Does anyone know if you can enter multiple addresses in the Tesla navigation then have the car guide you to several destinations in order?

18. Bugeater

Bugeater Member

No you cannot. They are called via points. Wish for that one too! With that you could plan out your whole long trip at once. You could also use via points to re-route to your desired route when the maps thought you should use a different route.

19. green1

green1 Active Member

An even better solution, available on some handheld GPS units is the ability to enter a whole bunch of points and have it automatically choose the most efficient route. Great for multiple errands where scheduling is less important than route efficiency.

20. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

I'm really surprised that any GPS unit can solve a Traveling Salesman Problem, which is NP-hard. I'm guessing they just try a few paths and see which seems shortest.

I'll second the general call, though, for a way to send not only an address to the Model S but also a preferred routing. The nav system currently has no knobs that let me tradeoff time vs. distance, or to stay off a toll road if there's a pretty good alternative.