Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it’s looking likely then that sentry on the rear camera doesn’t really work.

Has anyone here had any sentry events logged when another vehicle (or maybe person) has gone close to the rear of yours? I do not have any, only front and both side repeater activity.

So it’s looking likely then that sentry on the rear camera doesn’t really work.

Has anyone here had any sentry events logged when another vehicle (or maybe person) has gone close to the rear of yours? I do not have any, only front and both side repeater activity.
So the lack of responses would indicate a no then. I had one clip saved which I thought might have been triggered by the rear camera but when I reviewed it properly the red dot on the timeline was from when the driver of the vehicle which pulled up behind me walked past my side repeater camera.

It appears that someone has bumped into my car at the rear, which has put a crease in the lower part of the tailgate. Oddly there are no marks on the bumper or lower valance that I can see. I’d make a guess that this has happened when I’ve been parked, probably on a street with cars in front and behind mainly because I generally park nose in in car parks and the crease is dead straight and right in the middle of the tailgate (my wife even questioned if it was a design feature). It’s slightly odd that it’s the tailgate only, which on a Model Y is quite high, although obviously there are always bigger vehicles.

I only noticed it today after getting home from being out all day and I don’t think it happened while parked today as the dust/grime hasn’t been rubbed off, so it must have happened on a previous trip.

What is the best way of trying to review the Sentry footage to see if I can either work out when it happened, and then see if I can work out who/what did it.

I have so far taken the USB drive out and dumped the contents onto a hard drive. The review I did of the saved Sentry footage in car didn’t reveal anything, but it’s not exactly the best interface.
Sorry for your damage - a bummer that anyone who values their cars hates.
I thought Sentry mode along with other dash-cam clips are overwriten unless saved. Could it have been some time before you noticed the damage. You can check the dates on the remaining footage to gauge how far back the damage might have occurred.

Sorry for your damage - a bummer that anyone who values their cars hates.
I thought Sentry mode along with other dash-cam clips are overwriten unless saved. Could it have been some time before you noticed the damage. You can check the dates on the remaining footage to gauge how far back the damage might have occurred.
This was quite a while ago now and was fixed by a local PDR wizard for £95. But the Sentry constantly recording footage only lasts for ten minutes in the recentclips folder on the USB before being overwritten. Only clips which have either been saved manually or deemed by the car to be saved are kept, and as far as I’m aware these are never overwritten.

The disappointing element for me was that there had clearly been a vehicle way too close to the back of my car while I was not with it and Sentry didn‘t trigger. I‘ve had the need to export a few clips recently and have seen that the car puts a stamp against the footage in a data file and all I’ve seen are Person triggers, not vehicles. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Sentry clip when getting back to the car which has been triggered by a vehicle, although I don’t check them all.

This was quite a while ago now and was fixed by a local PDR wizard for £95. But the Sentry constantly recording footage only lasts for ten minutes in the recentclips folder on the USB before being overwritten. Only clips which have either been saved manually or deemed by the car to be saved are kept, and as far as I’m aware these are never overwritten.

The disappointing element for me was that there had clearly been a vehicle way too close to the back of my car while I was not with it and Sentry didn‘t trigger. I‘ve had the need to export a few clips recently and have seen that the car puts a stamp against the footage in a data file and all I’ve seen are Person triggers, not vehicles. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Sentry clip when getting back to the car which has been triggered by a vehicle, although I don’t check them all.
That is disappointing if so.
I will test this as soon as I can hopefully without actual hitting the Y🙄 .

Is it possible that the boot lid hit/pressed against something when opening but not noticed at the time?
No chance, it was too deep and too straight. The dent was absolutely in keeping with a bump from another vehicle, even the dent repair man who obviously sees multiples of these every single day said the same.

The pictures I put earlier in the thread weren’t much good, so here’s another;

1692695303924.jpeg

As I mentioned though, this was fixed by a PDR expert who came to my home and spent at least an hour and a half pushing this out from inside the tailgate.

Last edited:
People passing close by the front or side is what triggers it for me, don't think I've ever seen an event triggered by a person at the rear camera - again, I don't review all of them.
I have been trying to trigger SM by approaching the car from the rear with Phone key switched off. I gave the rear a slap for good measure.
I retreated and then returned after 10 minutes to check SM and..... nothing!
I repeated this sequence several times to no avail.
So, conclusion: when it comes to identifying the car that caused rear end damage while we are parked, SM is a bit of a chocolate teapot or maybe a SeriousMisnomer, at least in this scenario.
Please prove me wrong!

Last edited:
I just made a test; Parked my car down the road and turned on sentry mode and walked home. Then I drove my wife's car back until it almost touched the rear of the Tesla. Then drove my wife's car up the road, turned around and drove it back until it almost touched the front of the Tesla. Guess what, no sentry recoding's. It seems it's only interested in people and not cars!

Whilst checking the sentry recordings, I found one made earlier in the day when some one got in their car and their door just touched my door! I kept playing the recording to see if I could see the registration plate, but the guy took a long time to get going and never backed out of the space before the recording ended. I have now set the recording time to 3 mins (from 1 min) as that might help to capture information in the future, if something similar happens...

• Helpful
Reactions: MrBadger
I just made a test; Parked my car down the road and turned on sentry mode and walked home. Then I drove my wife's car back until it almost touched the rear of the Tesla. Then drove my wife's car up the road, turned around and drove it back until it almost touched the front of the Tesla. Guess what, no sentry recoding's. It seems it's only interested in people and not cars!

Whilst checking the sentry recordings, I found one made earlier in the day when some one got in their car and their door just touched my door! I kept playing the recording to see if I could see the registration plate, but the guy took a long time to get going and never backed out of the space before the recording ended. I have now set the recording time to 3 mins (from 1 min) as that might help to capture information in the future, if something similar happens...
Seems pretty conclusive then that it doesn’t trigger for vehicles getting too close. Shame.

Next test; actually drive into the Tesla at increasingly higher speeds causing more and more damage each time. Record at what speed Sentry mode triggers.