Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Catches Burglary of ANOTHER Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Read it again. I credited the Bay Area, not San Francisco. San Francisco is only the historic, cultural, and for most of its history economic capital of the Bay Area. SV was just orchards until not that long ago. It took off bc of defense contracts at Stanford and was fueled by loose anti-compete laws. SF is now startup central. It's where most tech companies want to be. And it's not without its problems, but sh*tting on it doesn't make you superior. It just makes you shallow. LA and San Jose both have bigger issues with homelessness than we do, it's just not on the streets because we're a much more urban city. Doesn't mean we're failing harder than other places. It's just more visible.

(And yes, we have a poop map, which says as much about the culture of innovation as it does the poop problem, which is not good.)
LOL it doesn't take much innovation to poop on a sidewalk.

So back on topic...it seems most of you missed a solution to these smash and grabs back on page 1.

You can bullet proof those small windows, inexpensively and on your own. You can purchase a clear sheet that applied to the window makes them bullet proof.

There’s another kind of clear sheet that just makes them a lot harder to break and ‘holds’ the glass together so the thief can’t get into the car.

And of course you can drop your back seats and engage Sentry Mode all the time.

These thieves are looking to get in and out fast. Making it harder for them, means it takes more time, means they’re more likely to give up then spend the time.

Keep sending those Sentry Mode recordings to authorities and businesses and insurance companies and sharing them with the public. So that everyone knows they are being watched by the Tesla Fleet. Not everyone will be deterred but a significant number will.

thL5DEGLLX.jpg

What my sentry mode will say.....
"I don't have anything in my trunk, what I do have a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you walk away from my windows now I will not look for you. But if you do not walk away and you insist on being a belligerent jacka$$, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will put the pointy end of a tactical tomahawk through every panel and window on your own car"

I still have these on the rear triangular windows, $13 for 2 and they blink threateningly all the time. They use regular AAA batteries, and they have 2 sensitivity settings. The Doberman isn't as loud, it turns off quickly and it's too sensitive.

When I hit a bump one of them came off the double sided tape I'd used to mount it for test, and MAN it was so loud I had to stop and get in the back and grab it and turn it off before wife and I lost our hearing. It screams for something like a full minute. I'm just sorry that all that noise doesn't trigger the alarm in Sentry Mode.

Last edited:
Rather sarcastic. Honestly you're in Colorado and have no idea how bad it is here in the SF Bay area. Our MS was vandalize (rear triangular window) in 2017 and the police pretty much told my husband who even went to the trouble to take a flashdrive to them, that it was likely just going to sit there unseen as they were vastly understaffed for that department, auto crimes in general were very high and there were other crimes that were far more serious than a car break in. When he called them on the phone he was even discouraged from bringing in the video or making a report and instead was told to just file an insurance claim. So you just had over $1000 in damage done to your car, many have more and have lost belongings too, and this is what you encounter when you're trying to report a crime. Plus you know you are by no means alone in being victimized and things have only grown worse since our car was targeted. Maybe these organized guys will move to your State, form successful rings there with the kind of numbers of break ins like we have and you can enjoy filing your report and seeing if it gets you any where.
Depends how much tax you want to pay vs how much the police can cover.
There’s a balance, and there will always be a minimum level of crime below which they won’t have the resources to act.
Making the police more efficient, harder worker etc will drive that minimum down slightly, but there will always be a minimum.

Pretty informative article quoting SF PD and their thoughts behind smash and grab epidemic:

99% of reported smash and grab don’t get caught. “They find the reward greater than the risk right now," said Nevin. At some point their luck is going to run out. I believe the system needs to be tweaked. They find the reward greater than the risk right now," said Lieutenant Nevin. “At some point their luck is going to run out."

Thieves break into upwards of 80 cars per day in San Francisco. Ninety-Nine Percent of Car Burglars Not Getting Caught. The District Attorney’s office launched its own online system, where car break-in victims can file reports and submit evidence directly to the district attorney.

Car Break-Ins Hit ‘Epidemic’ Levels in San Francisco