Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode False Alarm

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I parked near a fireworks show and had a moment of freak-out when my phone started exploding with the fireworks.

Fireworks-Alarm.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: 0ptions
This happened to me last weekend and I still don't have any valid explanation. I was at camping site with good cellular cover. My car was in the parking lot, I'll say 50m from where I was located. It was surrounded by some cars but with at least 5 feet on both sides. There were people going around packing unpacking, but nothing too close nor too crazy. I could kind of see my car from where I was.

The Sentry Mode started triggering the alarm on a regular basis. With the horn and amazing/embarrassing (when it's the 10th time the car does it) 2001 space odyssey theme song. (Man this car is loud)

I had to run to the car several times to manage to make it stop with the keyfob. I decided just to turn off all alarm / sentry mode during the whole weekend. (after having tried all the different reset methods with no result)

I watched all the captured footage afterwards and there was clearly nothing that could have explained that. No passing car/bike/truck. Not even passing people...

I also noticed at when parked at home that the car will activate the auto wiper randomly, even when in park and with no rain and nothing moving in front of the front camera. I deactivated those too...

I'm afraid of activating all this back and have my car blast the alarm all day long while parked on my drive way. Any idea what could be going on?

PS: I have a late 2018 MX with the enhanced intrusion kit installed.

Thanks!

I too have been getting a bunch of false alarms lately. Usually when I have the climate control to stay on it happens. Three times in a row parked at my parents quiet driveway facing forward with a closed garage door in front. And the next day parked at work with nothing going on two times in a row the alarm went off.

Interesting, I don't need anything to trigger my alarm. It just goes off within minutes of me leaving the car. We live in rural France, in a tiny village with no through traffic, so no subwoofers or loud exhausts. If I have Sentry Mode on and a USB stick in there are so many recordings that I need to rotate USBs daily to avoid them overfilling and being rendered useless. There is nothing to see on the USB recordings, unless it's shifting sunlight or leaves rustling on the trees.
If I don't have a USB in I just get constant false alarms.
It appears the security feature is far too sensitive but Tesla (France) only say it's a known issue and may be fixed with a future software update.
For the time being I just have to burn through USBs or turn off Sentry and an the alarm.

Interesting, I don't need anything to trigger my alarm. It just goes off within minutes of me leaving the car. We live in rural France, in a tiny village with no through traffic, so no subwoofers or loud exhausts. If I have Sentry Mode on and a USB stick in there are so many recordings that I need to rotate USBs daily to avoid them overfilling and being rendered useless. There is nothing to see on the USB recordings, unless it's shifting sunlight or leaves rustling on the trees.
If I don't have a USB in I just get constant false alarms.
It appears the security feature is far too sensitive but Tesla (France) only say it's a known issue and may be fixed with a future software update.
For the time being I just have to burn through USBs or turn off Sentry and an the alarm.
Is your car alarm actually going off or are your referring to a sentry mode event being captured? If you're getting constant audio alarms then that would be a pretty annoying issue that Tesla should look at. If it's just sentry events, sentry mode records the last 10 minutes when an event is triggered (your lights will flash when triggered), you may be getting 9 minutes of nothing and then 1 minute of someone walking by (or yourself walking by to open the car) within the last minute or two of saved footage.

@Accentcreate I did read your post. Some people sometimes confuse a regular sentry event with an alarm and I was just confirming this didn't apply here, which is why I was asking you to clarify. Many people will look at the first few video clips of their captured saved clips and think nothing triggered the event when the trigger shows up at the very last minute of the 10 minute recording. You can see your lights flash when sentry mode detects something.

I had several false alarms:
- some triggered by flies in the car - my view a fly should not trigger an alarm
- several ones while standing at the street parking or on parking lots. When I got the alarms in was in most of the cases sunny. The fan was cooling once. No stuff in the car that could be moved by slight fan level.

Tesla analysed one case (I submitted more than one occasion) said fan was running and you had jackets etc. in the car. Nothing they can fix. I should not place anything in the car or max one jacket. So no cool box, no ipad mounting etc..they confirmed inside ultrasonic sensors had triggered the alarm. BTW does anyone know where they are located - front mirror or middle of the roll bar?

In all cases nothing was even touching the car (according to video material) - in many leaves of trees were moving all the time, or traffic was close by enabling sentry mode.

I still believe it is to sensitive in many cars:
- Normal street vibrations
- flies
- normal stuff in the car
should not fire the alarm. Anyone who got a replacement of the sensors or adjusted sensitivity?

Im currently testing it at work as well - approx 40-150 Events per day - no alarms. So it seems pedestrians and slow traffic (car is directly parking next to entrance) does not trigger the alarm.
But people asked me why me car is greeting them :) (light are switching on when approching the car)

Mine has triggered the alarm from:

#1: Noisy vehicles driving by. ( I ran out and heard one of them after I saw the alarm notice. This was some vehicle with the muffler removed. )

#2: Fireworks shows. ( Multiple alarms over and over during the finale. )

I had several false alarms:
- some triggered by flies in the car - my view a fly should not trigger an alarm
- several ones while standing at the street parking or on parking lots. When I got the alarms in was in most of the cases sunny. The fan was cooling once. No stuff in the car that could be moved by slight fan level.

Tesla analysed one case (I submitted more than one occasion) said fan was running and you had jackets etc. in the car. Nothing they can fix. I should not place anything in the car or max one jacket. So no cool box, no ipad mounting etc..they confirmed inside ultrasonic sensors had triggered the alarm. BTW does anyone know where they are located - front mirror or middle of the roll bar?

In all cases nothing was even touching the car (according to video material) - in many leaves of trees were moving all the time, or traffic was close by enabling sentry mode.

I still believe it is to sensitive in many cars:
- Normal street vibrations
- flies
- normal stuff in the car
should not fire the alarm. Anyone who got a replacement of the sensors or adjusted sensitivity?

Since alarms are triggered by sound, I can see a few flies buzzing inside could trigger the alarm. Not sure about the jacket though. Do they mean the fan blow the jacket (or hanger) toward the window and made knocking sound to trip the alarm?

Note, there is a difference between sentry event being detected and the alarm being activated.

Sentry mode will activate just because someone loiters near your car. Alarm is only triggered from very loud noises.