Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode instructions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have any hints on finding the relevant video after you have a 'sentry mode event'? I'm assuming it's under the SavedClips folder, with each event having it's own sub-folder. Problem is, under each event folder, there are about 30 1-minute video clips. Ain't nobody got time to look through all those. What's the secret?

Anyone have any hints on finding the relevant video after you have a 'sentry mode event'? I'm assuming it's under the SavedClips folder, with each event having it's own sub-folder. Problem is, under each event folder, there are about 30 1-minute video clips. Ain't nobody got time to look through all those. What's the secret?

When it is triggered into alert mode it saves the previous 10 minutes (10 1 minute clips) so the "event" so the first 8 or 9 1-minute clips are generally nothing interesting, with the triggering event in the 9th or 10th minute.

There's 3 cameras- 10 minutes each, and it could be in minute 9 or 10 of any of the 3 cameras.

• Helpful
Reactions: evodan and docbrown
Since we're concerned about manufacturer specs, might consider that Samsung itself voids the warranty on their EVO and Pro line of SD cards when used in a dashcam application. Caveat emptor! I didn't bother to look up the flash drive, but guessing it's the same for those.

Relevant section below for the Samsung EVO, EVO Plus, EVO Select, PRO, PRO Plus, PRO Select.

Just a note for people that Samsung's microSD card Pro Endurance line is rated for dashcam use. I've been using it for a few weeks in my Model 3 now with a card reader. Time will tell.

https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/global.semi.static/Samsung_Data_sheet_2018_PRO_Endurance.pdf

I'm still so confused. Can someone please tell me what the heck to order to record video with sentry please? Also does it overwrite old videos automatically? Thank you!

I only plan to take out usb if something happens to my car then look at videi

Edit trying the Samsung card with USB adapter and hope it works thanks!

Last edited:
I only plan to take out usb if something happens to my car then look at videi
If you plan on enabling Sentry Mode regularly, you'll need to take out the USB storage device periodically to delete old/extraneous files, lest you run out of space (Sentry Mode recordings do not get overwritten automatically). How often you need to do that is related to the storage capacity of the device.

Well that's dumb

it's really not though.

With dashcam, the driver is there so he can decide what video, if any, is worth saving- so it can safely overwrite anything old you didn't specifically say to save.

Sentry mode however you are potentially leaving the car by itself for some unknown amount of time- it has to assume all video that triggers alerts is "important"- thus it can't automatically overwrite anything it saves.

Just started trying out sentry mode.
Left car at airport for only one full day. Had 3 “events” although what it calls an event is suspect to me. Does it actually trigger even if a car drives in front of the forward facing camera? That was about all 8 could see that might have triggered some events.
So let me see if I understand. 3 events = 10 1 minute recordings X 3 cameras for a total of 90 minutes of video?
Dang. That seems like a lot. If I left the car for even a few days with this enabled I could have hours upon hours of video to sift through. Or worse drive is completely full after a couple days?
My original TeslaCam 32GB Drive was fine for dashcam but isn’t gonna cut it for Sentry mode.
Wish there was a another way to remotely check the videos and remove or something.

Left car at airport for only one full day. Had 3 “events” although what it calls an event is suspect to me. Does it actually trigger even if a car drives in front of the forward facing camera? That was about all 8 could see that might have triggered some events.
So let me see if I understand. 3 events = 10 1 minute recordings X 3 cameras for a total of 90 minutes of video?
Dang. That seems like a lot. If I left the car for even a few days with this enabled I could have hours upon hours of video to sift through. Or worse drive is completely full after a couple days?
My original TeslaCam 32GB Drive was fine for dashcam but isn’t gonna cut it for Sentry mode.
Wish there was a another way to remotely check the videos and remove or something.

Yup, all correct. One guy who parks in a busy lot reported filling a 32GB drive in his 8 hours at work for example.

Hence why since Sentry most folks suggest 128GB or 256GB for camera use going forward (especially if they ever add more cameras)

Reactions: quickstrike12

You've got it! Just wait til they add a back up camera which people want. I have a 128GB storage device (had usb but switched to a high endurance microSD card for the more strenous writing reading it affords) and find it sufficient. Flash drives of any kind will crap out eventually so it's kind of a cost/reward thing you have to evaluate for yourself. Also a convenience factor as to how often you are willing to check the drive. Wait until the summer heat starts affecting people's drives in their hot cars. I can see the threads coming on this already. I feel it's better to do maintenance on a large enough drive on a regular basis than get one so large that you let it go and then find yourself with a crashed drive and possibly have it happen at worse time and having spent more money to boot.

Thanks for the reply’s.
I’ve been playing with it for a bit of testing. Odd thing is I can find gaps in the recordings sometimes. I let it run for about 20 minutes in the garage in sentry mode and then walked up activating the screen telling me it’s recording. Leave, come back 5 minutes later and pull the USB to check the videos.
I’ve combed the videos and although it has saved and recent videos I am not on any of them anywhere to be found. Just empty videos of my garage.
How can the cars buffer, that writes to the flash drive miss things?

What doesn’t help and makes it more confusing to me is when an event is triggered, like you guys say it grabs the last 10, 1 minute clips and saves them to the drive. But it time stamps all of them with the time stamp from the event. Instead of the time each clip was ACTUALLY being recorded.

What doesn’t help and makes it more confusing to me is when an event is triggered, like you guys say it grabs the last 10, 1 minute clips and saves them to the drive. But it time stamps all of them with the time stamp from the event. Instead of the time each clip was ACTUALLY being recorded.

You have to learn how to read the file and video time stamps. There is a pattern and it will be there. I posted this example before but in a hurry and don't have the time to search out the link. Here are 2 screen grabs from my TeslaCam files. First image is of the video files in the RecentClips folder, second image of the folders and video files from within the SavedClips folder.

Buffer to SavedClips - 1.jpg

Buffer to SavedClips - 2.jpg

Take another look at your folders and files. You'll notice the time stamp on the SavedClips folder (yr/mon/date_hour/min/sec in military time) incorporates the 10 minutes before that time stamp, ie. folder "_19-33-00" = videos from "_19-22" to "_19-32" -- which is the missing time from the RecentClips videos! Hope that helps.

• Informative
For Android users, I suggest a M2 NVME SSD with an enclosure that has a USB Type-C output. This way you will get the most optimal speeds while not having to worry about heat and buying another adapter. Most USBs are made out of plastic, get an enclosure that is made out of aluminum and preferably with vent holes.

I recommend the Samsung 970 EVO, it's the same M2 NVME SSD I use for my desktop and it's the most highly rated M2 NVME SSD. Are you a human?

Example of good M2 NVME enclosures:

https://www.amazon.com/QNINE-Enclos...gateway&sprefix=nvme+ssd+ensl,aps,149&sr=8-35

https://www.amazon.com/QNINE-Enclos...efix=nvme+ssd+ensl,aps,149&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1