Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode motion tearing?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thanks for clearing that up, just pulled the trigger on Samsung t7 SSD, hopefully that resolves issue surrounding artefacts/tearing

Do bear in mind that whatever storage you use you will not be seeing super HD colour accurate recordings. As per comments by @VanillaAir_UK these cameras are optimised for "viewing" and processing by the car computer rather than on a screen by a human.

Do bear in mind that whatever storage you use you will not be seeing super HD colour accurate recordings. As per comments by @VanillaAir_UK these cameras are optimised for "viewing" and processing by the car computer rather than on a screen by a human.
Yeah my main concern is the video tearing/artefacts. Just a quick YouTube search of Tesla sentry mode footage tells me this isn't a normal occurance.

The tearing videos certainly look as if its missing the I (full) frames and only getting the intermediate P (predictive) frames. The P frames are much smaller so if there is a speed issue that cause I frames to be dropped, you often still have the smaller P frame data which will show as more limited areas of movement.

If not already done, I would reformat the media drive as they can slow in some situations such as when they become full. Also try a different method of formatting as not all formats or formatters are equal.

tbh, the speed required for the clips is pretty small, well within USB-2 capabilities and pretty much any modern media drive. But the slowing will cause the drive to drop well below published specs.

Reactions: IAmNotARobot
The tearing videos certainly look as if its missing the I (full) frames and only getting the intermediate P (predictive) frames. The P frames are much smaller so if there is a speed issue that cause I frames to be dropped, you often still have the smaller P frame data which will show as more limited areas of movement.

If not already done, I would reformat the media drive as they can slow in some situations such as when they become full. Also try a different method of formatting as not all formats or formatters are equal.

tbh, the speed required for the clips is pretty small, well within USB-2 capabilities and pretty much any modern media drive. But the slowing will cause the drive to drop well below published specs.
Yeah, this is a strange one. My SanDisk Extreme Pro was formatted on my laptop to exFAT. And I also tested on the original USB drive Tesla provided and formatted in the car itself...issue still presents.

My Samsung T7 SSD just arrived today, so I'll run some tests with it. Might even try plugging directly into one of the USB-C ports to see if that makes a difference.

Update to last post:

Still no luck with the Samsung T7 SSD. Plugged into glovebox port, and centre console USB-C port, issue persists.
So just to recap for anyone else who might come across similar issue, I've tried:

OEM Tesla USB flash drive
Sandisk Extreme Pro MicroSD
Samsung T7 SSD

All formatted to exFAT, all present video tearing/artefacts in sentry mode footage.

Out of ideas how to fix this issue, so I'll be sending off a service request to Tesla and see if they can resolve it.

Its an old article and not as relevant as it once was. Not all formatters are equal. Give option 3 from this article a go, except use exFAT rather than Fat32. The article predates exFAT compatibility of TeslaCam. If you do it on the SanDisk, and it works, you know its possibly fixed. This is for the image tearing. As mentioned before, the other issues such as the fringing is pretty normal and the result of it not being primarily used for human consumption.

Its an old article and not as relevant as it once was. Not all formatters are equal. Give option 3 from this article a go, except use exFAT rather than Fat32. The article predates exFAT compatibility of TeslaCam. If you do it on the SanDisk, and it works, you know its possibly fixed. This is for the image tearing. As mentioned before, the other issues such as the fringing is pretty normal and the result of it not being primarily used for human consumption.
@VanillaAir_UK was there supposed to be a link in your message? I've downloaded a couple of different formatting tools, which I'll use on the SanDisk tomorrow and see if that fixes things.

I also decided to give Tesla a call before I booked the service. The advisor told me to perform a soft reset and do a power cycle on the car to see if that fixed the issue, it didn't. He said it might be a case of taking it in a SC to get the cameras changed/software updated. I'm having trouble remembering if I had this issue when car was on previous firmwares as I have a habit of deleting old sentry footage on a daily basis 🤦

@VanillaAir_UK was there supposed to be a link in your message? I've downloaded a couple of different formatting tools, which I'll use on the SanDisk tomorrow and see if that fixes things.

Apologies - probably getting nagged by the misses - can't multitask o_O

Option 3 here Preparing your Drive – Tesla Dashcam Advice, Recommendations and more!

RMprep has solved several issues that other previous format by other methods has failed to fix. Its also worth doing a media test especially if using media from an unofficial source - plenty of fake media out there where items are mis-sold media that is not of the expected size. Speed test also useful but as previously mentioned, its the nature of the beast that this type of memory may slow as things get used more - to the point that when Tesla introduced a 'media too slow' check it caused many people to suddenly start to see issues. But by looks of it, speed of media is not an issue.

Another thing I would try is a different port on the car. Certainly for the USB A sockets that Tesla use I found a repeatable electro-mechanical ussue between (different selection of) plug and Tesla USB socket. I solved that by ensuring that the plug was less likely to move in the socket by taking any strain off of the plug/socket but now I use a solidly third party fixed hub arrangement - older car so won't suit newer models.

Apologies - probably getting nagged by the misses - can't multitask o_O

Option 3 here Preparing your Drive – Tesla Dashcam Advice, Recommendations and more!

RMprep has solved several issues that other previous format by other methods has failed to fix. Its also worth doing a media test especially if using media from an unofficial source - plenty of fake media out there where items are mis-sold media that is not of the expected size. Speed test also useful but as previously mentioned, its the nature of the beast that this type of memory may slow as things get used more - to the point that when Tesla introduced a 'media too slow' check it caused many people to suddenly start to see issues. But by looks of it, speed of media is not an issue.

Another thing I would try is a different port on the car. Certainly for the USB A sockets that Tesla use I found a repeatable electro-mechanical ussue between (different selection of) plug and Tesla USB socket. I solved that by ensuring that the plug was less likely to move in the socket by taking any strain off of the plug/socket but now I use a solidly third party fixed hub arrangement - older car so won't suit newer models.

Unfortunately, still no fix for me. I think I can rule out storage media and card readers. Just have to wait for my service appointment with Tesla in a couple of weeks and hope its just a simple fix. My neighbours must be tired of seeing my circling my car over and over 😅

@VanillaAir_UK thanks for taking the time to write detailed responses, really appreciate it.

Reactions: MrBadger
Unfortunately, still no fix for me. I think I can rule out storage media and card readers. Just have to wait for my service appointment with Tesla in a couple of weeks and hope its just a simple fix. My neighbours must be tired of seeing my circling my car over and over 😅

@VanillaAir_UK thanks for taking the time to write detailed responses, really appreciate it.

I also still got tearing today after swapping to a different SD card adapter. Let me know what Tesla say about the issue.

Didn't think I would have an update so soon but I took the car to a SuC last night (earlier that day I updated the firmware to 2021.36.5.5)

So after I got there and plugged in, I figured I'd give the sentry footage another test, see if the update made a difference.

Sentry footage on all 4 cameras were absolutely fine, no tearing/artefacts at all. Tested on original Tesla flash drive and SanDisk micro SD: normal video footage on both.

Couldn't say for sure it was the update that fixed it or because the car was fully "awake", warmed up from being driven, battery preconditioned and charging. All previous sentry footage, the car was cold and "asleep".

So I tested again this morning, and the tearing/artefacts were back, although not as bad. So perhaps something to do with the car being cold, and the system being "dormant"? I'll be passing my findings onto Tesla SC when I go to my appointment.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
I thought I saw a bit of tearing on one of my videos yesterday - not been in the car again to check it again properly. The car had recently been parked and was charging so was nice and warm. Will have a look tomorrow when I'm next in the car. I upgraded to 5.5 last week, can't say I've noticed it before.
All previous sentry footage, the car was cold and "asleep".
Just an FYI, the car can't have sentry running and be asleep. See the numerous battery drain threads for more info :)

I'll be passing my findings onto Tesla SC when I go to my appointment.

Don't mention third party USB drives. Its not unheard of Tesla being quick to judge and blame it on use of non Tesla stick - ironic since the inclusion of the Tesla supplied stick is a relatively recent affair. iirc one person had a hardware fault blamed on the use of an SSD (?) pulling too much power.