Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode: Showing n events, no footage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!

Model 3 2020

I have sentry mode activated all day, no exclusion.

At home, when there are reported events. The footage it shows is a 2 seconds loop clip.

outside of my home, when I go shop for instance, it shows #n of events but the recordings are not there. Sometimes, it happens that the footage are there - it’s intermittent.

I had the same issue as everyone else, I think, if the USB was unavailable. I know there was a fix on the way… not sure if it’s fixed, but I’m not getting an error anymore

I am on 2022.20.07

• Helpful
Reactions: ColoradoMike
Sentry was hit or miss for me. I’d get the usb error from time to time then reformat and it would work for a while then the error would start again. Sometimes it would say 3 events but then I’d pull up the footage and I’d only find 1 event saved.

Unfortunately it didn’t work the day my car was destroyed by a guy blowing through a stop sign and I had no footage of the accident when I tried to show the cops what happened. Luckily the laws of physics only really allowed for one sequence of events to lead to the scene they found and the guy at fault admitted to it.

Hopefully Tesla has fixed some of these issues on the 2022 by providing a drive. It is a great feature when it works but I’m hesitant to rely on it completely after my experience.

I've had the hardest time finding a USB stick/drive that would work with Sentry for more than 2-3 mos. Had to do constant reformating, about every week.
Finally found that the SSD/SATA/USB combo worked well. it lasted for 1+ year. Then i got mysterious full UI crash/reboots -- about once a week. Full-on black screen UI crashes.
I replaced the SATA/USB interface and now it is working again.
1) it is hard to find something that will tolerate the finicky and brutal constant writing of Sentry, something that will last more than a month without reformatting.
2) There is NO reason a USB drive of any sort should cause a crash of the UI/OS. That's just bad and buggy hardware/drivers/systen software.

Excellent question!

This was one of the reason we are getting our Tesla M3LR.
Okay?

Have you tried to reformat the USB drive? Is this the drive which came with the car? The user interface should have this. You need to be parked to do this, though.
Formatted on my computer and also directly on the car. Both did not work.

Sentry was hit or miss for me. I’d get the usb error from time to time then reformat and it would work for a while then the error would start again. Sometimes it would say 3 events but then I’d pull up the footage and I’d only find 1 event saved.

Unfortunately it didn’t work the day my car was destroyed by a guy blowing through a stop sign and I had no footage of the accident when I tried to show the cops what happened. Luckily the laws of physics only really allowed for one sequence of events to lead to the scene they found and the guy at fault admitted to it.

Hopefully Tesla has fixed some of these issues on the 2022 by providing a drive. It is a great feature when it works but I’m hesitant to rely on it completely after my experience.
Still a hit and miss here

I've had the hardest time finding a USB stick/drive that would work with Sentry for more than 2-3 mos. Had to do constant reformating, about every week.
Finally found that the SSD/SATA/USB combo worked well. it lasted for 1+ year. Then i got mysterious full UI crash/reboots -- about once a week. Full-on black screen UI crashes.
I replaced the SATA/USB interface and now it is working again.
1) it is hard to find something that will tolerate the finicky and brutal constant writing of Sentry, something that will last more than a month without reformatting.
2) There is NO reason a USB drive of any sort should cause a crash of the UI/OS. That's just bad and buggy hardware/drivers/systen software.
You suggest to get a SSD? I am not sure what is your conclusion :p

I had to have two service appointments for this. The first time they replaced the drive. The second time, the mobile tech just gave me (sold me...) a Tesla disk, and I haven't had a problem since.
I guess Tesla Disk is the solution for me.

this is common unfortunately. like all tesla software, sentry is buggy junk.

all you can do is reboot, have a fast drive (try various kinds, SSD, durable SD cards).
Is there one that works great for you?

Okay?

Formatted on my computer and also directly on the car. Both did not work.

Still a hit and miss here

You suggest to get a SSD? I am not sure what is your conclusion :p

I guess Tesla Disk is the solution for me.

Is there one that works great for you?

Samsung PRO Endurance 64GB has been the best for me and i've tried many. You do need a USB adaptor for the memory card to plug in but it's cheap and tiny. Some people swear by the T7 SSD drives but that is way over kill, who needs that much space?

Reactions: Mikeez
Hi!

Model 3 2020

I have sentry mode activated all day, no exclusion.

At home, when there are reported events. The footage it shows is a 2 seconds loop clip.

outside of my home, when I go shop for instance, it shows #n of events but the recordings are not there. Sometimes, it happens that the footage are there - it’s intermittent.

I had the same issue as everyone else, I think, if the USB was unavailable. I know there was a fix on the way… not sure if it’s fixed, but I’m not getting an error anymore

I am on 2022.20.07
Just found this thread and I'm having similar issues as you. I'm seeing the sentry events when I return to the car, but nothing is being recorded. One odd thing is that if I hit the dash cam button while driving it will record and save to the drive, but regular sentry events are not saving for some reason. I'm not sure if you will even see this, but i'm curious if you got a fix. I just bought a new high endurance sd card and am hoping that helps.

I have a 21MYLR and have been having this issue since March. Coincidentally they replaced one of the computers located in the glovebox area also in March. Hasn’t been the same since. The Seattle SC keeps telling me it’s a firmware issue but no ecd on the fix which is obviously maddening. I just went to the Bellevue SC this week and they replaced the glove box. Through their diagnostics they thought it was a loose connection. Alas, I got in my car this morning and the dashcam was unavailable. I’m very close to pursing lemon law action in Washington state.
:(