Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode Triggering every minutes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, my 2021 MYP is acting up as Sentry Mode keeps triggering every minute after my latest update v10.2 (2021.36.5.5). Every recording is about a minute long also and then it will just trigger again thus recording for another minute. This has never happened before and just started happening when I updated to the previously mentioned version. This also only happens at night and not during the day.

I have reformatted my SSD as well as do the recommended reset by pressing down the two control knobs on the steering wheel until the T shows up on the screen and still with no success.

I am worried as I have a service appointment scheduled for other issues on November 22nd but I will be leaving my car at the airport for a couple of days next week and do not wish to not have this available to use during the time the car is parked in the parking structure. Don't mind it recording constantly but do not want it to drain my battery before I get back as when it triggers it flashes the lights also.

Please help and thank you in advance!

Has it been raining a lot recently? Maybe water has gotten into one of the camera housings. You could just turn off Sentry mode while parked at the airport. Leaving Sentry mode on drains the battery because the Tesla vehicle never enters sleep mode when Sentry mode is active not because of the number of Sentry Mode events. A high volume of Sentry mode events will fill up the storage device.

Has it been raining a lot recently? Maybe water has gotten into one of the camera housings. You could just turn off Sentry mode while parked at the airport. Leaving Sentry mode on drains the battery because the Tesla vehicle never enters sleep mode when Sentry mode is active not because of the number of Sentry Mode events. A high volume of Sentry mode events will fill up the storage device.

The only time that it started raining was when my car was in for service and after updating 2021.36.5.5.

2021.36.5.5 for two days now. I have Sentry mode set to off at my home location but Sentry mode has been active each time I park away from home with no sentry mode events. I had not experience unexplained sentry mode events on any previous release.

Mine did this at Starbucks recently. It doesn’t do it anywhere else. In that location it was at night near a busy road and there were headlights coming from all different directions. Mine was doing it every five minutes or so.

Has anyone figured out how to fix this issue? My MY has been doing this no matter where it is parked as soon as it gets dark ever since update to 2021.36.5.5. I’ve tried soft reboot, and hard reboot. Removed everything plugged in except sad for sentry mode and nothing seems to solve the problem.

Seems still no fix for this. I took my model Y in for a service to try and figure this out, but they said all the devices and hardware are fine and that I need to wait for a software fix.

The main place I want to use the Sentry feature is where I park in my alley, which is where I get the constant 1 minute triggers from dusk until dawn.

Are there any security cameras where it keeps triggering? I noticed mine will trigger when my security camera switches to nightvision. I also noticed that sometimes when it does this, it causes the sentry to flash the headlights, which causes my security camera to turn off nightvision, which then causes it to repeat when it switches back to nightvision...

Yep, like avs007 mentioned, look for anything using infrared like night vision cameras and security system sensors. There are other things that could trigger it too, but none of them fit the dusk to dawn only timeframe.
Thanks for the thoughts on this. I’ll check my neighbors.
I thought it was fixed with the new December update, since it went a night without the constant trigger, but last night it did it again, so I turned it back off.
Perplexing. I think it must be the LED streetlight .

Ive got LED sconce lights on the outside of my garage... one night I had over 1200 sentry events, now the in car app takes forever to load (minutes).

I wonder if those LED lights are the cause. If I go to view the live sentry feed they do flash some off colors. If the car feed FPS is offset with the LED flashing x times per second, the car could be thinking lights are coming on and off

Last edited:
Ive got LED sconce lights on the outside of my garage... one night I had over 1200 sentry event, now the app takes forever to load (minutes).

I wonder if those LED lights are the cause. If I go to view the live sentry feed they do flash some off colors. If the car feed FPS is offset with the LED flashing x times per second, the car could be thinking lights are coming on and off
Make me wonder how much ripple there is on the DC output driving those LEDs. A pure DC power supply (for example a battery in a flashlight) should not flash the LEDs, should be steady on, so this could be related to the AC-DC power supply and too much ripple on the DC output?

Also, if there is a dimmer control on these LED lights and it is set to anything less than 100 percent on, that is another potential source. The LEDs would most likely be PWM controlled to achieve the required brightness = turn on for a bit, then turn off for a bit, and repeat over and over - the end result is the desired brightness level. If the PWM frequency is high enough then the human eye will not see any flicker, but I can see how that could be perceived by a sensor system like a camera taking XX pictures per second and if not in sync with LED pulsing, then the camera would see the lights as flashing off and on, like you referenced. Can you make sure no dimmer is in use, LED are set to max brightness?

Make me wonder how much ripple there is on the DC output driving those LEDs. A pure DC power supply (for example a battery in a flashlight) should not flash the LEDs, should be steady on, so this could be related to the AC-DC power supply and too much ripple on the DC output?

Also, if there is a dimmer control on these LED lights and it is set to anything less than 100 percent on, that is another potential source. The LEDs would most likely be PWM controlled to achieve the required brightness = turn on for a bit, then turn off for a bit, and repeat over and over - the end result is the desired brightness level. If the PWM frequency is high enough then the human eye will not see any flicker, but I can see how that could be perceived by a sensor system like a camera taking XX pictures per second and if not in sync with LED pulsing, then the camera would see the lights as flashing off and on, like you referenced. Can you make sure no dimmer is in use, LED are set to max brightness?
All LED lights "flicker" on and off hundreds of times a second, in fact most all lights do, with or without a dimmer.

Generic LED operates at 50~90 hz. Constantly turning on and off, but giving a human observer the perception of a steady and constant light source. This us true whether on an AC or DC source. If you had a camera on the polar opposite frequency rate, it would think it was 100% dark, without any lights.

If the hz rate is out of sync with the digital capture rate of the Tesla cameras, you'd literally see frames with and without light. If that is enough to get the Sentry to start recording, then that would be the issue.