Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode USB flash drive failure costing me thousands

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does one go about contacting Tesla for the 72 hour back up?

Edit: I just called Tesla and they said a USB thumbdrive has to be installed for this to work. Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of the backup?

...no?

The purpose of a backup is to take data stored someplace and make a copy elsewhere in case something happens to the original.

If it's taking the video on the USB key and uploading that to Tesla- that's literally a backup.

The car itself doesn't have very much internal storage... (this is why you need a USB key in the first place- and why the version of Cuphead in the car is only the first level or whatever since the whole full game can't fit)

That’s a link to a specific post in this thread.

FWIW the specific post is one dude completely speculating with no facts whatsoever

Reactions: mlkmade
Don't get me wrong. I love my Tesla and expect to have "growing pain" problems from time to time but this is getting old. How do I fix this USB problem once and for all??
I'd get a used enterprise SATA drive (960GB should be $75+) and a SATA to USB converter ($4-9). I've run that for months with very few problems. It takes one of the USB ports alone, so I got a splitter for the other. I plan to take apart the center console and add a raspberry pi zero so I can pull videos without removing the drive and minimize the chances of someone grabbing it if they break into the car.

Just like the whole idea of Tesla providing a user accessible 72 hour backup was some writer completely speculating.

Well, Tesla stated explicitly in the release notes that with your permission Sentry mode, specifically, will send video to Tesla for "backup"

The only speculation was if the user could access it

Now we have mlkmade having spoken directly to Tesla asking about it- and them saying access it requires having had a USB key in the car.

Granted- Tesla reps are not always entirely accurate- but it'd be a little weird of a coincidence if one just happened to make up a feature (user access) that a previous news story had reported existed if it doesn't exist.

Reactions: mlkmade
The car itself doesn't have very much internal storage... (this is why you need a USB key in the first place- and why the version of Cuphead in the car is only the first level or whatever since the whole full game can't fit)

FWIW the specific post is one dude completely speculating with no facts whatsoever

Yea, that makes a lot more sense. I, for whatever reason, misunderstood how TeslaCam works..I thought there was a larger internal storage and the USB drive was just downloading it whenever you hit the arrow button (I'm smarter then this, dunno why I thought that.. very disappointed in myself).. I got backed into this week and my front bumper got a trailer hitch receiver outline dent and scratches imprinted into it...And I didn't have my USB plugged in, although I had sentry on. I thought I could just go retrieve the footage after the fact... and I've learned the hard way.

The only speculation was if the user could access it
Now we have mlkmade having spoken directly to Tesla asking about it- and them saying access it requires having had a USB key in the car.
Granted- Tesla reps are not always entirely accurate- but it'd be a little weird of a coincidence if one just happened to make up a feature (user access) that a previous news story had reported existed if it doesn't exist.

I pressed the service guy on the phone "are you sure? Ive read everywhere it does a 72 hour backup"

And he responded saying, it ALWAYS backs up/records meta data and sensor information. It ONLY records/backs up the footage when USB drive is inserted.. He said even then, he could only provide footage if the USB drive was stolen (thought this was weird but I guess if you have the USB drive, you could use software to retrieve the footage yourself potentially.).

A mechanical hard drive is actually ideal for this sort of constant writing. Unfortunately they're not ideal for the constant movement that comes with being in a car. There are some that are designed for being moved, but a sudden jolt like a pot hole or an accident would send the head crashing into the platter and likely damage some sectors. Potentially the ones you need since after an accident is one of the most likely times you'll need to access the footage.

• Disagree
Reactions: Revelation

Yes, without a doubt that is speculation on my part, my interpretation of the privacy statement. That said, there's pretty much no chance that Tesla is uploading video of all sentry mode events. The costs would be enormous and it would make no sense not to have a means for an owner to retrieve those videos.

Yes, without a doubt that is speculation on my part, my interpretation of the privacy statement. That said, there's pretty much no chance that Tesla is uploading video of all sentry mode events. The costs would be enormous and it would make no sense not to have a means for an owner to retrieve those videos.

I would expect they'd only upload em if sentry went to alarm state, not just alert- or if the car registers a collision.

It's unclear if there's actually a way to retrieve em- mlkmaids experience made it sound like Tesla was telling them they could've done exactly that if there'd been a USB key in the car to have created the files on originally to be uploaded.

A mechanical hard drive is actually ideal for this sort of constant writing. Unfortunately they're not ideal for the constant movement that comes with being in a car. There are some that are designed for being moved, but a sudden jolt like a pot hole or an accident would send the head crashing into the platter and likely damage some sectors. Potentially the ones you need since after an accident is one of the most likely times you'll need to access the footage.

A decent quality SSD works very well.
This is the drive I’m using currently: JetDrive™ 500

I had upgraded one of my previous MacBook Pros, and then used its older, smaller SSD module in this enclosure. Works great in the Model 3; absolutely no issues at all with slow or corrupt drives, etc.

The prices on quality (ie Micron/Crucial, Samsung etc.) SSDs has fallen rapidly. A 200gb drive is more than plenty for the Model 3. As cheap as - if not cheaper than - spinning rust, and a much better fit in a bumpy environment.

edit - here you go; high quality 250gb ssd for under $45. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0781VSXBP/

Can’t wait for spinning disk to disappear altogether. It’s getting closer by the day.

...How do I fix this USB problem once and for all??

There's Plan B. Its what the rest of us do that don't have Sentry. We mounted a couple of dash cam that don't have that USB problem.
These have been working years before the first 3 hit the road. Then. Some day. When Tesla gets the Sentry recording problems solved, then you have more protection not "instead of".

as a counter-data point, my previous car had a DIY hard drive mp3 player install; it dated back to when notebook drives were still 40 pin IDE and 80gb was the largest you could get. somewhere around 2003 timeframe, I think. I had the hard drive in the worst position (rear corner of trunk) and you know - for 15 or so years, I never had that disk crash or lose music data (that I could notice). 15 years of hot and cold (ok, bay area, so not too extreme) cycles and bouncy roads, potholes, etc.

now, that said, they don't build spinning disks as well as they used to (isn't that always the trend?). I doubt you'll get that much life from today's spinning rust drives, but it does show that that tech *can* work fine in a car, even without any special shock mounting; just some foam I had. I basically threw this HD player in the trunk, never had to touch it in all those years and removed it when I sold the car, just half a year ago.