Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry mode USB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure someone knowledgeable about Macs could give you advice if that's what you have.
It's actually really easy on a Mac. All Macs come with a utility program called Disk Utility for all your formatting and management needs. Insert the drive in a USB port, select the drive on the left, click the Erase button, and select MS-DOS (Fat) in the Format drop-down.

Been using a 16 gig older flash drive with mixed success; videos don't always load right or play through to end. with 2020.12.5 and the nice dashcam feature, I was inspired to upgrade my drive. Picked up this from Amazon
Samsung BAR Plus USB 3.1 Flash Drive 128GB - 300MB/s (MUF-128BE3/AM) -
My Mac would format to FAT but not FAT32 and plugged it into Windows 10 found similar, then went thorugh the hassle of downloading a 3rd party utility and formatting it to FAT32. Thinking I had finally succeeded, I was totally bummed when the car did not recognize the drive. (the feature to have horn write to dashcam was disabled, with an instruction "feature will be enabled when a valid drive plugged in" or something to that effect). Came across the above and laughed at myself for doing it the hard way, used the Mac to format to MS_DOS FAT (note: FAT32 disabled in dropdown). Simple enough. Created the TeslaCam folder and plugged it in. Still no joy. What the heck?! Anyone heard of a Samsung 128 gb drive simply being inherently incompatible?

Been using a 16 gig older flash drive with mixed success; videos don't always load right or play through to end. with 2020.12.5 and the nice dashcam feature, I was inspired to upgrade my drive. Picked up this from Amazon
Samsung BAR Plus USB 3.1 Flash Drive 128GB - 300MB/s (MUF-128BE3/AM) -
My Mac would format to FAT but not FAT32 and plugged it into Windows 10 found similar, then went thorugh the hassle of downloading a 3rd party utility and formatting it to FAT32. Thinking I had finally succeeded, I was totally bummed when the car did not recognize the drive. (the feature to have horn write to dashcam was disabled, with an instruction "feature will be enabled when a valid drive plugged in" or something to that effect). Came across the above and laughed at myself for doing it the hard way, used the Mac to format to MS_DOS FAT (note: FAT32 disabled in dropdown). Simple enough. Created the TeslaCam folder and plugged it in. Still no joy. What the heck?! Anyone heard of a Samsung 128 gb drive simply being inherently incompatible?

You need to format FAT32, not regular FAT. Then create the TeslaCam folder (with that exact spelling and capital letters for T and C)

The drive will work fine when set up correctly.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
My Mac would format to FAT but not FAT32...
...used the Mac to format to MS_DOS FAT (note: FAT32 disabled in dropdown).
Just an FYI that using Disk Utility on a Mac and using "MS_DOS FAT" is FAT32. All the drives I've formatted this way have worked fine in my cars requiring FAT32 (four different drives so far in my Tesla including some testing).

It is possible that you received a counterfeit drive. Here is a link to five apps that you can use to verify (though there are other ways as well)

You need to format FAT32, not regular FAT. Then create the TeslaCam folder (with that exact spelling and capital letters for T and C)

The drive will work fine when set up correctly.
It actually did not when formatted to FAT32 as I mentioned in the original post, to include the case sensitivity in TeslaCam folder ... I guess I'll wind up returning it. Thanks for the links KevyBaby...

Thanks for the links KevyBaby...
I'm curious if you did use any link (mine or others available) to check the authenticity of the drive? If not, no biggie - I'm curious as to the helpfulness of them (since I personally haven't had to use them).

FWIW, I have used a 256 GB SanDisk Cruzer from Costco for music with no issues since I got my car in August and I had one for Sentry until I replaced it with a Roadie (the Cruzer was working just fine when I put the Roadie in - I just wanted the Roadie's capabilities). @Knightshade has a different thumb drive he has used for over a year.

I suspect that the reason many people have had issues with flash drives was because of authenticity of the drives (and Tesla's SW). I trust the Costco supply chain much more than I trust the cheapest vendor on Amazon.

I'm curious if you did use any link (mine or others available) to check the authenticity of the drive? If not, no biggie - I'm curious as to the helpfulness of them (since I personally haven't had to use them).

FWIW, I have used a 256 GB SanDisk Cruzer from Costco for music with no issues since I got my car in August and I had one for Sentry until I replaced it with a Roadie (the Cruzer was working just fine when I put the Roadie in - I just wanted the Roadie's capabilities). @Knightshade has a different thumb drive he has used for over a year.

I suspect that the reason many people have had issues with flash drives was because of authenticity of the drives (and Tesla's SW). I trust the Costco supply chain much more than I trust the cheapest vendor on Amazon.
I did not - seemed totally legit I avoid sketch vendors on Amazon and swore off ebay a long time ago ...