Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode Videos Garbled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was updated to 2019.8.3 yesterday. Last night I upgraded from a USB Flash stick (2 partitions, one Music, other for TeslaCam) to a SanDisk 1TB USB SSD partitioned same, this was done to fix a Music stutter, which it did fix. Went on some errands today and thought I'd test Sentry mode. All recordings were working fine with no garbled images (they Were garbled with the UDB Flash drive as others have stated and shown) when Sentry mode was off. With Sentry mode ON The Front camera and Left repeater were fine but none of the Right repeater files are readable, won't even open. As soon as I got back in the car, Sentry Mode turned OFF and then the right repeater starts working again.
So, from my experience the gabled images are from slower Flash drives, since the garbled images cleared up with the SSD drive. However the Sentry Mode has a problem...

***UPDATE: All of the Right Repeater files are 0KB, nothing recorded while in Sentry Mode.***
Did you create a 32gb partition on the SSD for TesaCam?

Seems like the flash drive speed shouldn't be an issue since its faster than USB2 like the car has already?

Did you create a 32gb partition on the SSD for TesaCam?

Seems like the flash drive speed shouldn't be an issue since its faster than USB2 like the car has already?
I created two partitions, both Fat32 and logical drives. The 1st partition for the TeslaCam I made 634GB, the other for my music I made 296GB. In a test today I drove to two areas, about 1/2 hour of driving total and had the Sentry mode on at two locations for about an hour each. Total video stored on this one outing is 3.58GB. Tomorrow I have about 8hrs of driving and 2 hours of Sentry mode, I'll let you know how much space is used.
I agree the USB Flash, even with USB2.0 should be able to handle it, but evidence is it cannot.

I created two partitions, both Fat32 and logical drives. The 1st partition for the TeslaCam I made 634GB, the other for my music I made 296GB. In a test today I drove to two areas, about 1/2 hour of driving total and had the Sentry mode on at two locations for about an hour each. Total video stored on this one outing is 3.58GB. Tomorrow I have about 8hrs of driving and 2 hours of Sentry mode, I'll let you know how much space is used.
I agree the USB Flash, even with USB2.0 should be able to handle it, but evidence is it cannot.
Interesting, I was under the impression teslacam only supported 32gb partitions.

I'm having the same problem as well. I'm using the USB 2.0 version of the 32GB SanDisk iXpand Flash Drive with one FAT32 partition, which I ran past two Tesla Support reps; both gave it the thumbs up.

The drive mounts, saves clips (tap), and unmounts (tap-and-hold) just fine. Clips recorded or archived outside of Sentry Mode look terrific across all three cameras. When I switch to Sentry Mode, however, the right repeater files are either zero length, or they appear garbled, as shown below. The right B pillar looks totally fine - no damage or glass scratches or anything like that.

I've spoken with Tesla Support about this twice so far, and they've had me perform the hold-left/right-steering-wheel-button-for-20-seconds ritual (until the Tesla logo appears on the display), with and without pressing the brake pedal, as well as a power-off-wait-two-minutes-and-press-brake-pedal maneuver, plus two software updates on top of that, and I even humored the rep by reformatting as FAT32 a few times. None of these remediations has helped.

Perhaps their thumbs up was unwarranted? Suggestions welcomed.

Screenshot 2019-05-02 at 12.08.50 PM.png
Screenshot 2019-05-02 at 12.08.14 PM.png
Screenshot 2019-05-02 at 12.08.01 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: Glamisduner
any update on this? i just happened to watch some of the sentry videos and noticed the left camera was bad as well. It wasnt all of the time and i didnt pick up on a pattern on when it worked and when it didnt. i have a service ticket for some audio issues next week and was just going to bring it up then.

Same exact problem with multiple flash drives, some old and some brand new, some partitioned, some not. I have even seen some problems with the right repeater video in the "RecentClips" folder, not just the sentry "SavedClips" folder. Already tried reformatting, rebooting screen, sun angle, no sun. The fact that it is happening only on the side cameras is telling. Mine is almost always the right side, but I read others having problems with the left. What I don't understand is what would make the file size 0 sometimes and what makes it record a larger and barely readable file at other times. I think this is where the root issue must be.
RightCamera.jpg

I was updated to 2019.8.3 yesterday. Last night I upgraded from a USB Flash stick (2 partitions, one Music, other for TeslaCam) to a SanDisk 1TB USB SSD partitioned same, this was done to fix a Music stutter, which it did fix. Went on some errands today and thought I'd test Sentry mode. All recordings were working fine with no garbled images (they Were garbled with the UDB Flash drive as others have stated and shown) when Sentry mode was off. With Sentry mode ON The Front camera and Left repeater were fine but none of the Right repeater files are readable, won't even open. As soon as I got back in the car, Sentry Mode turned OFF and then the right repeater starts working again.
So, from my experience the gabled images are from slower Flash drives, since the garbled images cleared up with the SSD drive. However the Sentry Mode has a problem...

***UPDATE: All of the Right Repeater files are 0KB, nothing recorded while in Sentry Mode.***

I am having the same issues. I have a dedicated 128GB Samsung 3.1 that I purchased a couple of weeks ago, formatted to FAT32 and a TeslaCam folder. Front camera always seems to record flawlessly (29kb stored), the left repeater works most of the time, and the right repeater more often than not has little to nothing (0kb), although when driving all 3 cameras work. Since updating to 2019.12.1.2 I get a ton of "alerts" causing me to take a look at the usb drive. Its nice to have this, but it makes it useless if you can only see two-thirds of the videos. I haven't tried any resets or reformatting the usb drives, but based on what some other people are saying that doesn't help either.

I have seen repeater issues also. The issues only crop up when in use by sentry mode (when the car is stationary) but not from footage saved while the car is moving. I suspect there may be some sort of power issue from the cameras that causes the footage to not record properly when the car is not moving. Probably something to do with software or power and not the camera hardware.

So I've been looking through sentry threads, and this looks to be the one that describes all the issues I'm having: either randomly un-openable files (ie. 2/10 of the left repeater videos are not openable), randomly corrupted videos (some of the weird shadowy artifact, lots of green colour overlaying the videos), and one that I haven't read about anywhere: some of the clips are not 1 min in length, and not just the last video, but random selections of the 10 1-minute clips are actually only 9 or 15 seconds. This is resulting in random cut in/out of videos (ie clip 9 shows a car parked next to me, clip 8 shows no car there, and there's no clip actually showing the car parking there). It sounds like this is a tesla issue and not a USB drive issue? I got a SanDisk from costco, formatted it properly, and have been ejecting it properly. I've repeatedly read of the 32 Gb limit, but my understanding is that the 32gb limit is more what you can format as FAT32 on a windows device without special software, and not actually a Tesla issue at all? ie. I have a mac, and it readily allowed me to format the 64 or 128gb USB drive as FAT32.

Just looking to see if this is just a known issue to wait out, or if I should be asking for investigation/intervention from Tesla. A bit silly for them to release a free software update that is then generating real work/costing them money to troubleshoot.

My left front was doing the same. I emailed a clip to local tech and it turns out it depends on which type of viewer you are using if you see it or not. Trying using a different viewer on clips that have the issue. On travel right now and not sure which viewer worked and which didn’t.

I am also having issues with the left and right repeater recordings. On two different brands and sizes of drives that used to work fine. Often the file size is zero, the rest of the problem files are small and garbled. I don't believe this is a hardware problem with the drives or the cameras. More like a firmware issue. Hope Tesla fixes it sooooon.
Also I get the same problems reading the recordings on two different computers using different operating systems, windows 7 and windows 10, and two different video players.

Like many others, my car has the same issue. Sometimes the left repeater is either corrupted (or 0 bytes), sometimes it's the right repeater. What I notice is that the longer the car is parked with Sentry Mode active, the more corrupt/zero-byte files there are. I think there's a temperature-related issue in the electronics. In fact, a week ago I left the car parked in the sun all day long and when I drove away, cruise/AP was "Unavailable" and the vehicle display didn't show any other cars.

I'm going to make a service request... got nothing to lose...