Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode while on holiday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I’m going on holiday for 2 weeks and I am going to leave the car in the driveway with 100% battery.

Any tips on how best to use sentry mode as an additional form of security for the house.

Eg reverse park the car, park the car dead centre on the drive?

Would 100% be ok for 2 weeks, I have the 2021 model with the black edging but not the newest battery.

Thanks

Hi,

I’m going on holiday for 2 weeks and I am going to leave the car in the driveway with 100% battery.

Any tips on how best to use sentry mode as an additional form of security for the house.

Would 100% be ok for 2 weeks, I have the 2021 model with the black edging but not the newest battery.

Thanks
The new 2022.36.6 update show how much juice the car lose in park include sentry mode. You need to do some math :)

I’d recommend buying a Ring Security Light w/ Camera. Turn off sentry mode to conserve battery. You can get alerts from the Ring and get same security your looking for. I’d charge to 80% and leave it.. maybe lose 20% over 2 weeks with sentry off.

Hi,

Thanks
You can always keep an eye on it with the app (say once a day) and turn off sentry via the app if the battery is too low. As others have said it drops at 20% anyway.

Unless your car has an LFP battery leaving it standing with 100% isn't a recommended approach. Better left plugged in or if that's not possible start with a slightly lower state of charge say 80-90%.

If sentry is turned off you’ll lose next to nothing. I’ve just come back from a week away and it lost maybe 1%

If you want to go through the full list of settings then maybe watch this, but it does really boil down to just Sentry

Hi,

Thanks
Switch Sentry Mode on at night when its dark, then off again in the morning if you are worried about vampire drain. (You can toggle it on and off from the app.)

Reactions: Leeclanual
Park facing the house in case anybody walks past the sides - the front cameras have a better view then the rear camera. The side cameras are not going to capture enough either way for protecting your house.
You are going to get a lot of false positives if your car is anywhere near the street path. Invest in some proper security cameras.

Not sure what you are paying for your leccy but at price cap prices leaving sentry on for 2 weeks will cost arround £30 in electricity (assuming you leave it plugged in. If not it will shut off after 10 days when you hit 20% charge). Cheaper to get a security camera in the long run.

Reactions: KennethS