Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish I could get an app notification when it started to save the recordings after it detected a person by the window. BTW, it saves 10 minutes of recording on 3 cameras starting from the minute before it arms. I just walked around the car once and the size of the saved incident was almost 1GB. I will probably need to get a bigger USB drive (current one is 16GB).

I wish I could get an app notification when it started to save the recordings after it detected a person by the window. BTW, it saves 10 minutes of recording on 3 cameras starting from the minute before it arms. I just walked around the car once and the size of the saved incident was almost 1GB. I will probably need to get a bigger USB drive (current one is 16GB).

So around 30MB a minute per camera. I’ve got a 64GB flash drive installed right now. Perhaps I’ll swap it out for a 128 or 256GB drive...

This feature will have GDPR issues in Europe. For example in the UK you need to register with the IC if you are going to be recording public spaces with CCTV like this. You would also need to take steps to maintain people's privacy, such as parking the car so that it can't see into their windows or onto their property, and provide any footage recorded on request.

This feature will have GDPR issues in Europe. For example in the UK you need to register with the IC if you are going to be recording public spaces with CCTV like this. You would also need to take steps to maintain people's privacy, such as parking the car so that it can't see into their windows or onto their property, and provide any footage recorded on request.

Is the same true for dash cams that don’t record while the vehicle is parked?

Edit: Just did a quick search and it appears that such restrictions would only apply if you are using your car for business: Does your dashcam put you within scope of the GDPR?

You only need to be concerned about this if you use a dashcam in a business context. This generally means any job in which you are paid to drive.

Any other use of a dashcam is considered “personal or household activities”, which are exempt from the GDPR.

Last edited:
No sure because they don't record live stream only when a thief occure.

Is the same true for dash cams that don’t record while the vehicle is parked?

Edit: Just did a quick search and it appears that such restrictions would only apply if you are using your car for business: Does your dashcam put you within scope of the GDPR?

You only need to be concerned about this if you use a dashcam in a business context. This generally means any job in which you are paid to drive.

Any other use of a dashcam is considered “personal or household activities”, which are exempt from the GDPR.

That only applies to cams that record when driving though.

The rules for domestic CCTV are different.

Guidance on the use of domestic CCTV

Parking mode dash cams are a grey area at best.

That only applies to cams that record when driving though.

The rules for domestic CCTV are different.

Guidance on the use of domestic CCTV

Parking mode dash cams are a grey area at best.

Seems a bit overly cumbersome. If I’m recording while driving my car into a parking spot it is going to see the same sort of stuff as the cameras would with the car parked and Sentry Mode enabled.

Reactions: cizUK
I just did measured the battery drain associated with Sentry mode and compared it with no Sentry mode.
Here is the result (the numbers are drain rate miles per hour)
IMG_1381.PNG

No sure because they don't record live stream only when a thief occure.

I don't think it is true. It is recording all the time when sentry mode is on, it only saved the 10 min of the buffer of recording when it detected someone too close to the car. It is very similar to the dashcam... almost exactly the same except for dashcam you have to have manually hit the icon to save... for sentry mode incident detection, it just save them into for a folder for you.

If anyone is interested in battery usage, I left it running for 11 hours and I lost 16 miles overnight. I think I normally lost about 2 to 3 miles over night, so about 1 mile per hour.

Last edited:
So around 30MB a minute per camera. I’ve got a 64GB flash drive installed right now. Perhaps I’ll swap it out for a 128 or 256GB drive...

Does it overwrite the oldest "saved" files when full or stop working?

Assuming overwrite a 64GB drive is PLENTY more than enough space.

At 30mb per side camera per minute and 60 per on the front (not sure why this would be the case but someone claimed that) you're talking 120mb/min, or 1.2 GB for a 10 minute clip.

Meaning a 64GB drive holds over 500 minutes of footage from all 3 cameras comfortably.

I just did measured the battery drain associated with Sentry mode and compared it with no Sentry mode.
Here is the result (the numbers are drain rate miles per hour)
View attachment 380153

Thanks for this- at ~1 mi/hr can't see any reason not to always have this on short of something where you're forced to leave the car sitting for many days/weeks unplugged

Reactions: PoitNarf
Does it overwrite the oldest "saved" files when full or stop working?

Assuming overwrite a 64GB drive is PLENTY more than enough space.

At 30mb per side camera per minute and 60 per on the front (not sure why this would be the case but someone claimed that) you're talking 120mb/min, or 1.2 GB for a 10 minute clip.

Meaning a 64GB drive holds over 500 minutes of footage from all 3 cameras comfortably.

Perhaps I'm math challenged? If a 10 minute clip takes 1.2 GB of space, logic would seem to dictate that 1.2 X 6 = 7.2 GB, or the space required for 1 hour of recording for the three cameras? We all know that TeslaCam only records for 1 hour and then records over those files during the next hour unless you save the files? 'Twould appear to me that the 64GB drive would be overkill in size to the tune of roughly 8.8 times? Unless you're streaming songs from a different folder at the same time, don't know why you would need a drive that large?