Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He (tesla_raj) posted a screenshot of a file listing from this USB drive showing entries for the front and two side cameras. I'd think that if the other cameras were active and recording for Sentry Mode, his file listing would show entries for those as well?
Twitter

I believe it. Prior to this the files were names "front_xxxxx". They knew at some time the were going to have a left, right, and back camera files.

This is pretty standard practice for software companies. They put out a minimum viable product (MVP) and continue to iterate based on feedback. I would much rather have them do this than to delay weeks or months for updates that still won't be perfect. From what I've seen the enhancements aren't taking away from anything. If you are unhappy with it, you could just disable or not use the features. No harm done.

As they say "Perfection is the enemy of done"

Reactions: APotatoGod and zhu-
He says that but didn't show any video from them did he? I'm waiting for more people to try it out and post results before I'm willing to call it fake.

I think it's pretty conclusive, and it makes sense as it's just an extension of dashcam that you yourself said it was.

So it's not surprising that it uses the same cameras that dashcam uses.

What I find encouraging is that any extension in camera usage for either one will likely mean the other one will follow. So I expect to see more cameras enabled in future updates.

Hopefully the rear view, and the interior come next.

I don't get why the screen turns white when it could be showing a warning message instead. Maybe if the interior camera was recording and it used the screen as a light source, but I don't think that's the case.
Yeah this seems to be kinda dumb.

Once the thief breaks your rear quarter window, Tesla is offering them a nice flashlight so they can see what's in your trunk.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod and zhu-
Which can be seen to be empty with the seats folded down. If you need to have cargo there, then use one of the aftermarket devices to inhibit access to the trunk area from inside the cabin.
For what they spent on internal resources to make Sentry mode happen (and only using 3 cameras currently, so it's not even done), I'm sure a redesigned seat lock mechanism could have been created and tested. I'd even have paid money for a retrofit.

Sure is cool, and free is free, but not everything can be fixed with software. A few thieves will be rattled at first, but once everyone understands what this is, I doubt this stops anything. Smash and grabs are too quick.

For what they spent on internal resources to make Sentry mode happen (and only using 3 cameras currently, so it's not even done), I'm sure a redesigned seat lock mechanism could have been created and tested. I'd even have paid money for a retrofit.

Sure is cool, and free is free, but not everything can be fixed with software. A few thieves will be rattled at first, but once everyone understands what this is, I doubt this stops anything. Smash and grabs are too quick.
And how do you know they aren't also working on that?

Should they stop everything and solely focus on the seats? Give me a break

And how do you know they aren't also working on that?
Considering this been going on since the Model S (which also has the same issue with the quarter window smash + unsecured rear seat latch), it would seem Tesla is not interested in spending any time and money on fixing this.
Should they stop everything and solely focus on the seats? Give me a break
Well, let's see... a clear physical security flaw in their product that has existed for years hasn't been addressed. Instead of addressing it with a change in hardware, they decide to burn software engineering hours to build a very complex alarm system (which also doesn't work well based on the reviews).

In Tesla's words: "While no alarm system can prevent against all vehicle thefts, break-ins and threats, we hope that with Sentry Mode and our other security features, your Tesla will be even more secure."

In other words: "We made you a free fancy alarm you didn't ask for. I hope you feel better about your car."

Car alarms have been a joke since the 90s. When one goes off in a mall parking lot, nobody listens or cares. Quarter windows will continue to be broken, and only a matter of time that USB sticks will get stolen too.

For all that Tesla gets right, they try way too hard in the hardest way possible to fix things that have obvious or easily accessible solutions.

Good review.

Re blindspot chime not working I wonder if lane departure warning also had to be on

Supposedly it only chimes if you start changing lanes with a car in the blind spot, not when you start signaling. That’s still useful, but personally i would prefer it to chime as soon as you indicate for a lane change if a car is in the blind spot, so hopefully Tesla changes that. A two factor warning would be even nicer, for example vibrating the steering wheel as a warning when you indicate a lane change with a car in your blind spot, and then the additional warning chime if you for some reason start changing lanes anyway with the car still in your blind spot .

So I haven’t gotten the new update but I wanted to comment on a recurring concern that keeps being raised about Sentry mode. To those that keep insisting that a thief could just steal the USB drive after breaking the window, I am fairly certain Tesla would have programmed the doors to remain locked after sentry mode is activated (disable opening of door from inside button press). So then how would the thief get the USB drive? Climb through a partially broken window and risk injuring him/herself??? Would they really go through that much trouble or would they just choose an easier target?

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Have you confirmed that the chime comes on with attempting to change lanes??

Supposedly it only chimes if you start changing lanes with a car in the blind spot, not when you start signaling. That’s still useful, but personally i would prefer it to chime as soon as you indicate for a lane change if a car is in the blind spot, so hopefully Tesla changes that. A two factor warning would be even nicer, for example vibrating the steering wheel as a warning when you indicate a lane change with a car in your blind spot, and then the additional warning chime if you for some reason start changing lanes anyway with the car still in your blind spot .

Reactions: Mahi-Mahi
Considering this been going on since the Model S (which also has the same issue with the quarter window smash + unsecured rear seat latch), it would seem Tesla is not interested in spending any time and money on fixing this.

Well, let's see... a clear physical security flaw in their product that has existed for years hasn't been addressed. Instead of addressing it with a change in hardware, they decide to burn software engineering hours to build a very complex alarm system (which also doesn't work well based on the reviews).

In Tesla's words: "While no alarm system can prevent against all vehicle thefts, break-ins and threats, we hope that with Sentry Mode and our other security features, your Tesla will be even more secure."

In other words: "We made you a free fancy alarm you didn't ask for. I hope you feel better about your car."

Car alarms have been a joke since the 90s. When one goes off in a mall parking lot, nobody listens or cares. Quarter windows will continue to be broken, and only a matter of time that USB sticks will get stolen too.

For all that Tesla gets right, they try way too hard in the hardest way possible to fix things that have obvious or easily accessible solutions.
You should apply for a job. Seems like you got this figured out.

Reactions: McFlurri
So I haven’t gotten the new update but I wanted to comment on a recurring concern that keeps being raised about Sentry mode. To those that keep insisting that a thief could just steal the USB drive after breaking the window, I am fairly certain Tesla would have programmed the doors to remain locked after sentry mode is activated (disable opening of door from inside button press). So then how would the thief get the USB drive? Climb through a partially broken window and risk injuring him/herself??? Would they really go through that much trouble or would they just choose an easier target?
Good point...maybe. Does the manual release not work?

• Informative

Model 3 anyway has a manual/mechanical door release, not sure that CAN be disabled in software (which is kind of the point of it existing)

You should apply for a job. Seems like you got this figured out.
Well some random people on the Internet already figured out how to build a latch blocker and put it up for sale. Shouldn't be too far fetched that Tesla could change the latch assembly entirely and do a better job.

I know it's hard to be objective about a car that you spent good money for to own, but just like other production vehicles on the market, Tesla is far from perfection. A little dose of reality and healthy criticism is important. Without criticism, autopilot would still only be a button on the screen, and the trunk would open very differently. The charging port that is prone to freezing has lots of software hacks to try and warm it up, but in the end Tesla is going to have to swap them out.

It's ok to be a fan and a critic... that's the only way the car gets better.