Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its the extra "redundant" Parker chip in the AP2.5 vs. AP2.0. They said it was a nothing improvement between 2.0 and 2.5. They even put a press release saying it would result in no meaningful differences between 2.0 and 2.5 owners. Just more lies.

Tesla has a new Autopilot ‘2.5’ hardware suite with more computing power for autonomous driving

The good news, perhaps, is that I don't see why swapping the 2.0 board for 3.0 won't give those features. Afterall, its not like 2.5 owners are going to lose features to get FSD...

Regardless, Elon definitely lied when he said everyone with EAP would get sentry mode. He even responded to a tweet seeking clarification to confirm that.

Elon Musk on Twitter

"Tesla Sentry Mode coming soon for all cars with Enhanced Autopilot"

There is no ambiguity. That is a lie because the only other alternative is ignorance which we know Elon is not blessed to possess.

You know, you share some some interesting facts...

But have you considered alternative facts? We are now living in a parallel universe where facts are not what they are ...apparently. :p

• Funny
Reactions: croman
Unlike almost every single car manufacturer, we get new features and updates which makes our vehicles better all the time. Yet.. when you come to places like this it looks like a kindergarten with tantrums about x missing feature or Y not getting what he was promised.

Put things into perspective. This is a first world problem, about a feature you were never sold to when you were originally purchasing your vehicle. There are more important problems in the world. Good grief.

Unlike almost every single car manufacturer, we get new features and updates which makes our vehicles better all the time. Yet.. when you come to places like this it looks like a kindergarten with tantrums about x missing feature or Y not getting what he was promised.

Put things into perspective. This is a first world problem, about a feature you were never sold to when you were originally purchasing your vehicle. There are more important problems in the world. Good grief.
Well, sort of. At this point it's seeming like AP2.0 was more and more of a mistake for Tesla due to breaking up with MobileEye before they were ready. This is evidenced by the fact that AP features took many more months to be released than Tesla led on, and the fact that AP2.0 lasted about 10 months before new hardware replaced it.

Well, sort of. At this point it's seeming like AP2.0 was more and more of a mistake for Tesla due to breaking up with MobileEye before they were ready. This is evidenced by the fact that AP features took many more months to be released than Tesla led on, and the fact that AP2.0 lasted about 10 months before new hardware replaced it.
If you have 2.0 + option Full FSD you receive free version 3.0 hardware and I Thinks all features you saw today.

Many of us bought these cars based on stated features and capabilities that were marketed as done deals. Instead we’ve received 2.5 years of excuses, delays, lies, and revisions to history that have eroded trust and continue to do so with each new bifurcation in capabilities between AP 2.0 and 2.5+.

If we’re putting things in perspective, that’s mine. It’s a strong word, but I genuinely feel defrauded. Calmly discussing a years-long string of misrepresentations and lies from a company that we’ve all spent tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars with is not a “kindergarten with tantrums”.

Wow - a feature that was only suggested a month or two ago and hasn't even been rolled out to more than a few cars and yet we are already at the "Elon lied" stage ?
That's pretty impressive, even for here.

This level of entitlement is why we can't have nice things
I couldn't have said it better. One example of why the wife tells me.... "I don't care to go on tmc any more. A lot of people on there are rude and just like slamming everyone else. A bunch of peacocks showing their feathers." I'm not really sure what that last sentence means, so I just don't reply. However, it does seem that she has a point. Some folks just aren't happy unless they have something to bitch about.

People, just chill out if you're not eligible for sentry mode. There's a fatal flaw. If you were gonna break into a car with sentry mode on, you just need to pull out the USB stick and take it with you and all evidence is gone! Poof!
No fatal flaw. Haven't you heard? The sentry mode applies the full voltage of the battery pack to the USB stick when sentry mode is activated. Thief gets electrocuted and dies in your car. Easy to catch him :rolleyes:

Good point though. I wondered why not just push that video up to a cloud service as it happens.

Last edited:
Elon Musk on Twitter

"Tesla Sentry Mode coming soon for all cars with Enhanced Autopilot"

There is no ambiguity. That is a lie because the only other alternative is ignorance which we know Elon is not blessed to possess.
Of course it's a lie, but one which par for the course for Elon and plenty of people here have defended such lies. The defense here will be that your AP2.0 car is absolutely capable of sentry more, except it's missing the second redundant computer, so it it can't do it now, but it's totally capable, just like my P85D is capable of 691hp, except for the minor part that the battery can't deliver anywhere near enough power. Some might even say that sentry mode is totally for sure coming to all AP2.0 cars as soon as they get upgraded to AP3 which will happen within months of Tesla FSD being complete. Or maybe it's coming to all AP2.0 owners who trade their cars in for a new one. Pick your Tesla marketing line to suit your delusion.

As you can see I am one of the most avid Tesla fan and is sold on the car. My only issue is that even first can was supposed to be fully autonomous at a future date, it will never be. The second car having eight cameras was going to be and was the latest version. So, people like us should not be coming at a short end.
Have you learned your lesson yet? Never buy into any future Tesla features. If it doesn't have it on delivery day, you are just gambling with that money, except that even if you do win something, the payout that might not come for a long while, and possibly to the next owner of that car, not you.

Last edited:
Unlike almost every single car manufacturer, we get new features and updates which makes our vehicles better all the time.
Or it gets worse, like v9, and you have no choice either.

Yet.. when you come to places like this it looks like a kindergarten with tantrums about x missing feature or Y not getting what he was promised.
Agreed, there are plenty of features explicitly sold to throw tantrums about. On my 4 year old Tesla I'm still waiting for my 691hp, reliable blind spot warning, summon which will find me anywhere on private property or meet me at the curb. Yea I know, 4 year old car, old news, nobody cares - that is the Tesla strategy. Oh wait, I know, my P85D is capable of speced 691hp, just not the battery, Well, all AP2.0 cars are capable of sentry mode too, just not the computer powering it.

Have you learned your lesson yet? Never buy into any future Tesla features. If it doesn't have it on delivery day, you are just gambling with that money, except that even if you do win something, the payout that might come for a long while, and possibly to the next owner of that car, not you.

This. This is dealmaking 101. In my experience future promises not enshrined in contract (and even some that are) should not be considered in whatever transaction you are considering. This is especially true when contemplating individual features on a car where your NPV of a suit over even a perceived contract is hardly worth it unless you include some sort of massive emotional extrinsic value. The only real easily exercised leverage is to decide to buy/not buy.

Reactions: tccartier
Wow - a feature that was only suggested a month or two ago and hasn't even been rolled out to more than a few cars and yet we are already at the "Elon lied" stage ?
That's pretty impressive, even for here.

This level of entitlement is why we can't have nice things

I have a $5K refund check from Tesla because a guy named Fred acted entitled. That's a nice thing!! for me. :)

But, seriously I think people are coming to a premature conclusion that HW2 can't support it

There is a technical reason why HW2 can't support the dashcam, but there hasn't been any indication of why HW2 doesn't support Sentry Mode. It could simply be that it's going to be in an upcoming release, and it will just be slightly delayed. Tesla has a limited number of programmers so maybe it takes a bit more to get it working on HW2.

It could simply be a business decision not to spend resources working on SW features for a HW configuration no longer being made. Or maybe there really is a technical limitation that Elon wasn't aware of when he made the promise that all HW 2.0+ vehicles would have it.

All we know is of right now it's not supported.

I'm of the belief that Tesla is going to solely focus on HW3, and they're going to push people to upgrade. I fully expect us HW2.5 owners to be in the same boat as HW2 owners are right now. Where all the new cool stuff is just for HW3 regardless if it has anything to do with FSD or not.

Tesla isn't like the Marines. They just leave you when they move on.

Sentry mode uses dashcam recording. While it may be techincally possible to reboot the AP computer in dashcam mode only when parked, it is very unlikely Tesla would jeopardize AP stability for sentry feature.

Dashcam uses the second SOC (the parker chip) because the primary SOC is used for AP.

But, the primary SOC along with the discrete GPU isn't used for AP while it's parked. So it should be free to use for Sentry mode.

I don't see any reason for rebooting, but yeah it will require different code. Maybe Tesla didn't want to take ANY chances on messing with any of the AP stuff so they simply added Sentry Mode onto the Dashcam mode, and restricted it to the SOC.

That would be actually kinda impressive as the SOC doesn't have much neural network capability so how does it do the threat analysis from all cameras and interior microphones? Now it could be that I'm overestimating the sophistication of Sentry mode, and it's been simplified so it can be done within the single SOC that handles the dashcam.

But, I don't know if that's correct because Sentry Mode requires a lot more power than the single SOC takes. So it's gotta to be using AP resources.

Maybe the Sentry mode works where it uses the extra SOC, and loads neural networks into the discrete GPU. So that explains why it's limited to HW2.5, and why it has such a high power consumption.

Until the hackers have had a peek we can't say anything conclusive.