Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry still borked for most people?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sentry is still only working intermittently for me. Sometimes all instances are recorded correctly, other times corrupt files, 59min invisible files etc. This is with a good quality SSD firmly secured in place. I've also disconnected, reconnected with new cable etc and still hit and miss.

Just me or is this still a result of the recent dodgy firmware updates? It was fine for several months up until a few updates ago. I don't want to keep jiggering with it if it's definitely a firmware issue.

Cheers

tbh I have found ever since I have had the car (Sept 2019) sentry is hit and miss if it works or not. Certainly did not capture someone hitting my car in a car park, Also Alarm on the car went off the other night at midnight, car in garage, do not know why it went off no video again.

Not just me then. I don't know if it makes any difference but I elected to use a separate USB stick for FLAC music files in the adjacent port. Trying to minimise any potential problems using a partitioned drive - but still poor performance. The last few dashcam clips I've saved seem to have worked but Sentry is a lottery

I was having this issue and then VanillaAir very kindly posted a link to someone who had worked out that with the recent update you need to format the SSD in a different way. Also I think there was some weird power issue with my USB ports as the SSD was not lighting up blue (another story!) Anyway, I thought I had a problem but I do not. So maybe look at reformatting the SSD with the correct format? Here is the link:

TeslaCam Configuration

Last edited:
I was having this issue and then VanillaAir very kindly posted a link to someone who had worked out that with the recent update you need to format the SSD in a different way. Also I think there was some weird power issue with my USB ports as the SSD was not lighting up blue (another story!) Anyway, I thought I had a problem but I do not. So maybe look at reformatting the SSD with the correct format? Here is the link:

TeslaCam Configuration
Thanks, I'll review that. So has the formatting type changed as up to fairly recently the system was fine i.e. has Tesla changed their requirement? Seems odd.
Thanks

Sentry is still only working intermittently for me. Sometimes all instances are recorded correctly, other times corrupt files, 59min invisible files etc. This is with a good quality SSD firmly secured in place. I've also disconnected, reconnected with new cable etc and still hit and miss.

Just me or is this still a result of the recent dodgy firmware updates? It was fine for several months up until a few updates ago. I don't want to keep jiggering with it if it's definitely a firmware issue.

Cheers

Same here. Most disappointing element of my new M3 (which I otherwise love).

I have to park on the street at home and I really want Sentry to be a useful security feature. It isn't. Waking up to 100+ events is no good, and as you say, half the time they are corrupted and I have to format the whole drive again. I'm also not ecstatic about the level of battery drain when it is left on and I also have a sneaking suspicion that having the lights flash, etc, is not a useful feature when it comes to the car maintaining a low profile.

Same here. Most disappointing element of my new M3 (which I otherwise love).

I have to park on the street at home and I really want Sentry to be a useful security feature. It isn't. Waking up to 100+ events is no good, and as you say, half the time they are corrupted and I have to format the whole drive again. I'm also not ecstatic about the level of battery drain when it is left on and I also have a sneaking suspicion that having the lights flash, etc, is not a useful feature when it comes to the car maintaining a low profile.

Since 2020.20, when sentry started working again, the damn thing goes off about 1/ minute.

I used to get 20-ish/day with the car seat on the paving at the front off the house. Now I get a few thousand. Brand new T5, which is getting hammered.

I was using a rather large PNY SSD drive that glitched occasionally but was probably overkill in terms of capacity.

Have changed to this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/KOWLONE-Adapter-Multi-Function-Portable-External/dp/B085GHLL91

Using with a Sandisk Extreme SD card 64GB, which is also partitioned (using AOMEI free partition tool for Windows) with another drive for music.

Works absolutely fine so far with no glitches.

The 4-in-1 SD card adapter can be read directly by newer Apple devices with a USB-C but only works via an app with my iPhone X using the lightning connector. However, using the Apple lightning SD card reader ( Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader — Apple ) you can read the SD card (including both partitions) using the 'Files' app.

I use ‎Cam Viewer for Tesla this cam viewer on iOS which lets you look at all the footage directly from the card and can save it onto the device if you want to share it. It's also free. Might not be the best or most full-featured app but it does the job. If there are any really good apps that anyone can recommend with more features would love to know.