Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sentry Viewer should be hidden while in Valet Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
agree with pin protecting it, and to fix the removeable usb drive concern they could encrypt the contents with the pin, same as your phone is encrypted. Biggest challenge there is how to decrypt it when plugging into another device

This is another one of those subject that people on the forum will say "Tesla ought to do this or that. Or its easy to add something to the software." I would predict there's really not a lot of owners that want it or would use it if it was available.

Its naive to believe Tesla is going to get encryption business on flash drives or videos. When some joe messes up and can't get his to decrypt, whose he gonna call? Tesla? Tesla's not talking on the phone with people about Teslas, think they are going to talk about how to decrypt and support stuff? There's no money in it. There's no profit in it. We are fortunate they are even doing dashcam and sentry stuff.

This is another case of the more they do - provide to us the more people want deeper. Some where after hours maybe in a bar or lounge there's some middle management Tesla bosses sitting around and one says "See, now there's a handful of owners that want encryption added to the dashcam and sentry videos. I told you we should never have added Dashcam to the cars".

Its not realistic to believe they are going to get into the file encryption business for owners benefit. Don't beat me for the way I see this, I'm not going to argue about it. Its just my opinion - and my opinion makes no difference in the scheme of things. And none of us have influence over Tesla business decisions anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: serendipitous
TravelFree, If you really really want to hide that USB connection, pull your MCU and disconnect one of the USB cables running from the back of the MCU and replace that connection with a USB extension cable that you wish to run anywhere you want it.

It won't be much easier, but you also could removed your console and disconnect the console end of the USB cable so the port is empty and run an extension cable to wherever you want it. After reviewing videos on both, the effort is almost the same except, you should unplug MCU power at the fuse to avoid that risk.

I reviewed the access instructions to the console and the screen and the console looks less intimidating. If I have nothing better to do some day, I think I will examine expanding a USB with a hidden HUB and connection to my SSD in the console.

Reactions: Akikiki
This is another one of those subject that people on the forum will say "Tesla ought to do this or that. Or its easy to add something to the software." I would predict there's really not a lot of owners that want it or would use it if it was available.

Its naive to believe Tesla is going to get encryption business on flash drives or videos. When some joe messes up and can't get his to decrypt, whose he gonna call? Tesla? Tesla's not talking on the phone with people about Teslas, think they are going to talk about how to decrypt and support stuff? There's no money in it. There's no profit in it. We are fortunate they are even doing dashcam and sentry stuff.

This is another case of the more they do - provide to us the more people want deeper. Some where after hours maybe in a bar or lounge there's some middle management Tesla bosses sitting around and one says "See, now there's a handful of owners that want encryption added to the dashcam and sentry videos. I told you we should never have added Dashcam to the cars".

Its not realistic to believe they are going to get into the file encryption business for owners benefit. Don't beat me for the way I see this, I'm not going to argue about it. Its just my opinion - and my opinion makes no difference in the scheme of things. And none of us have influence over Tesla business decisions anyway.

I really don't think hiding the Tesla Cam Viewer from Valet Mode with the rest of your personal information is too unreasonable of a request... Not sure why a Valet should be able to so easily browse and or delete your videos so easily.

I really don't think hiding the Tesla Cam Viewer from Valet Mode with the rest of your personal information is too unreasonable of a request... Not sure why a Valet should be able to so easily browse and or delete your videos so easily.

Have you read the other forum posts where people on 2020.12.5 are still asking how to even access the viewer? Or on Reddit? Or on the Tesla forums...

If you really feel that the valet company you use will be going through your videos - don't go there. As mentioned, there's nothing stopping them from popping the flash drive out and copying it or using a different device - MUCH faster than trying to use the browser. Or, hell, there's nothing stopping them from TURNING OFF sentry and then going about their business, or just pulling the drive.

Can tesla make a flag/setting/option to hide the viewer - sure.. Do you think they'll do it? Maybe after enough complaints on Twitter to Elon (have you started this yet?).

The weak link issue isn't the browser - that's inconsequential. Security through obscurity never worked. If you think that hiding the viewer is going to stop someone, did you forget about the constant break-ins on Model 3s that occur - even when people more than likely know that they're being recorded? Are we going to ask for stealth cameras next so people don't know we have cameras recording them?

The ask for hiding the browser is more for your peace of mind, however, it doesn't change or modify the security of the situation - someone else has your vehicle and has full access to what's inside (including the flash drive that holds these videos).

Encryption will not happen - not only is it a drain on compute resources, but, now, you have to worry about being able to decrypt it outside the vehicle, which means Tesla will have to write a software component that handles that that will work on people's computers or mobile devices, or, have an option to decrypt the content. Now, you wait while your drive decrypts in order to use it elsewhere.. Then, bring it back, wait for encryption, oh, and don't forget, you're using a flash drive with limited wear cycles...

Have you read the other forum posts where people on 2020.12.5 are still asking how to even access the viewer? Or on Reddit? Or on the Tesla forums...

If you really feel that the valet company you use will be going through your videos - don't go there. As mentioned, there's nothing stopping them from popping the flash drive out and copying it or using a different device - MUCH faster than trying to use the browser. Or, hell, there's nothing stopping them from TURNING OFF sentry and then going about their business, or just pulling the drive.

Can tesla make a flag/setting/option to hide the viewer - sure.. Do you think they'll do it? Maybe after enough complaints on Twitter to Elon (have you started this yet?).

The weak link issue isn't the browser - that's inconsequential. Security through obscurity never worked. If you think that hiding the viewer is going to stop someone, did you forget about the constant break-ins on Model 3s that occur - even when people more than likely know that they're being recorded? Are we going to ask for stealth cameras next so people don't know we have cameras recording them?

The ask for hiding the browser is more for your peace of mind, however, it doesn't change or modify the security of the situation - someone else has your vehicle and has full access to what's inside (including the flash drive that holds these videos).

Encryption will not happen - not only is it a drain on compute resources, but, now, you have to worry about being able to decrypt it outside the vehicle, which means Tesla will have to write a software component that handles that that will work on people's computers or mobile devices, or, have an option to decrypt the content. Now, you wait while your drive decrypts in order to use it elsewhere.. Then, bring it back, wait for encryption, oh, and don't forget, you're using a flash drive with limited wear cycles...

Must be nice whatever world you live in where you have a choice. There are a few place I drive to where the only parking option is valet. I'm not happy but I look over the car each time I get it back.

The OP never asked for encryption. he just asked for some way to prevent a Valet from accessing his videos so easily because he recently had a valet damage his car and then denied they did anything and the Tesla Cam videos is what held them accountable.

I'm astounded there are people who are so stubborn of their little worldview of all or nothing security that they go on posting against the simple and common sense request to hide the TeslaCam viewer from Valet mode. I mean seriously, you have a problem with making it a bit harder for a valet to view and delete the videos? :rolleyes:o_O

"Perfect is the enemy of the good"

In this case hiding the viewer from Valet Mode will be good enough for the OP and just about everyone else.

In this case hiding the viewer from Valet Mode will be good enough for the OP and just about everyone else.

I never said don't add this - I said that a valet with full access to the vehicle doesn't need to bother with the browser. The ability to hide this is for the OWNER'S peace of mind.. The valet couldn't care less.

As I mentioned before with the number of Model 3 break-ins reported... Don't you think they could have taken the time to pull the USB flash drive as well, knowing that they're being recorded.. Sure, do you think they care, no - too busy, move on... Valets are the same for the most part - they usually aren't going to be sitting in your car for 20 minutes trying to go through and find a video. If you guys all really think the valet is going to bother sitting there trying to go through your recordings with the browser, then, believe it, but, it's more than likely not going to happen.

And yes, I am serious - if you really want them to make a setting change, you need to state your case to Elon directly on Twitter... If the few of you in this thread feel it's necessary, then, band together and go on Twitter and state it. Where do you think the in-car viewer gained traction in the first place? Twitter... Enough to get Elon's attention. There's no point in arguing or debating yes or no to it here... It's a flag I'm sure they can set to appear in the valet profile settings screen...

careful @mjptech, some people oft want to hear us agree what they want to hear, not a logical explanation. You tried to turn a "I want" into a debate about the practicality of a feature. You will earn the spite from some that don't like you for simply what you say or don't say. I wish there was a button so we could award our own post a Sarcasm rating to show we were "just funin' not being serious. But alas "give every man thy ear, but few thy voice."

Definitely see what you mean - yes, was just trying to get them to see the other aspects of what they're trying to accomplish, but, alas, I shall withdraw from this thread now...

(and see if PhilDavid's going to mark more of my other posts in other topics as disagree, even though they aren't relevant to him or concern him, unsure how he can disagree with what Tesla service told me on a phone call earlier today)... Might have my first blocked user on TMC, though ;)

Must be nice whatever world you live in where you have a choice. There are a few place I drive to where the only parking option is valet. I'm not happy but I look over the car each time I get it back.

The OP never asked for encryption. he just asked for some way to prevent a Valet from accessing his videos so easily because he recently had a valet damage his car and then denied they did anything and the Tesla Cam videos is what held them accountable.

I'm astounded there are people who are so stubborn of their little worldview of all or nothing security that they go on posting against the simple and common sense request to hide the TeslaCam viewer from Valet mode. I mean seriously, you have a problem with making it a bit harder for a valet to view and delete the videos? :rolleyes:o_O

"Perfect is the enemy of the good"

Exactly this. Would be great to see the Tesla Cam viewer option removed from Valet Mode.

The other thing that would be nice is if playback would start at the incident that triggers the recording.

I love how smooth the videos are though.

• Disagree
Reactions: mjptech
I think it should be put behind the pin2drive, such that if you have pin2drive enabled, you cannot see the teslacam video viewer until you put in the correct pin.
I don't have this update yet, so I cannot test it out. Does valet mode really disable sentry mode and the dashcam? I think that would be where you need it most! Did you actually put it in valet mode, and try to view the videos?
If it's behind pin to drive a valet would already be able to move the car no so have the pin?

I'm a believer in signs for security. If for no other reason than a sign will make a thief or vandal think twice before breaking into your property. I just got these in from Evannex. They attach easy and can be removed just as easy.

IMG_1771.jpg

Reactions: Akikiki
After eight days and 54 posts, I'm surprised no one has said that they've actually confirmed whether or not Valet Mode allows access to the dashcam viewer. I've only read comments that Tesla *should* do this, implying it's not currently disabled in Valet Mode. I just got 2020.12.5 recently and when I switched to Valet Mode, the only dashcam menu option available is to save the latest clip. There is no option to view the dashcam recordings. Switching back to my normal driver profile restores the dashcam viewer option. Has anyone who's been asking for this feature lock-out in Valet Mode tried it out on their own cars? If so, are you seeing the same thing as I or does your car still allow access to the dashcam viewer when in Valet Mode?

Last edited:
I used a Valet service once because the parking company for the cruise ship falsely advertised self park. Unfortunately I was forced to use it due to time constraints to board a cruise. When I got back I discovered they put my key FOB under the windshield wiper the whole week. It had rained and the FOB was ruined. I kept my second one and had to give it to the driver to get my car out. He claimed the one we left him with had a dead battery. The FOB was full of rain water! Now I pay the cruise terminal parking garage rates.

Anyway, it's good to know there is no Valet access, but if the Valet driver wanted to he could just steal your USB drive, erase it, and return it.

Basically for those who must use Valet, I side with their desire to be able to hide the USB drive so it could not be easily found. PLUS the hidden player access. As you discovered the player has the ability to delete the files too. I suggest you make an effort to hide the drive with at minimum using a USB extension cable. Hide it wherever you desire but hide it.

Good luck!

After eight days and 54 posts, I'm surprised no one has said that they've actually confirmed whether or not Valet Mode allows access to the dashcam viewer. I've only read comments that Tesla *should* do this, implying it's not currently disabled in Valet Mode. I just got 2020.12.5 recently and when I switched to Valet Mode, the only dashcam menu option available is to save the latest clip. There is no option to view the dashcam recordings. Switching back to my normal driver profile restores the dashcam viewer option. Has anyone who's been asking for this feature lock-out in Valet Mode tried it out on their own cars? If so, are you seeing the same thing as I or does your car still allow access to the dashcam viewer when in Valet Mode?

I wasn't able to use the dashcam viewer while in sentry mode. I got the same results as you.

The dashcam seemed to continue to record while in valet mode as well, and I could enable sentry mode from the phone.

So I wasn't able to verify anything the OP said.

This was with 2020.12.5 on a Model 3.

I wasn't able to use the dashcam viewer while in sentry mode. I got the same results as you.

The dashcam seemed to continue to record while in valet mode as well, and I could enable sentry mode from the phone.

So I wasn't able to verify anything the OP said.

This was with 2020.12.5 on a Model 3.

There was a time a while back when Sentry Mode was first released where Sentry would not be available while in valet mode.

Feature Request: Allow Valet Mode and Sentry Mode to Operate Simultaneously : teslamotors

They've since changed Sentry to work while in Valet mode, which is great news. It's thanks to this thread I know they have changed this.

I had stopped using Valet mode when sentry was not available in Valet mode a while back so it's good news that I can now use Valet mode knowing sentry will still be active.

Would be great if they could remove the option for the Tesla Cam Viewer while the car is in valet mode.