Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

September reservation, January configuration, ??????? delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TheAustin

Model X 90D (Former Model S P85)
Sep 12, 2011
The Hamptons
A friend of mine reserved their Model S in September (Reservation number approx. in the 12,000's), and just got their Time to Configure email...Any guesses when they'll get their car? 85 KwH, non-performance. Thanks :)

Unfortunately, I'm having doubts about the "estimated delivery" algorithm on the Finalize pages. As I posted in the other "Finalize" thread, I'm P4398, I deferred for a while. But today I finalized. My estimated delivery window is "Nov-Dec 2012". Perhaps it's accurate for new reservers.

I finalized my P85 on 12/11. My car is finished and should be shipped to me soon.

Though once they are making the 60's and 40's, the finalize-to-delivery window might get longer again.

WOW 30 days from finalize to completion over the holidays! I better get moving on my garage, financing and insurance. How quickly did you get your VIN?

Yeah.. see, that's the thing, not a bad idea to get the garage ready, but I would wait on finance/insurance, etc... until you hear from Tesla that they're moving your car into production (the 'red' delivery button and you get a two week delivery window). Think of these delivery times as a bell curve, some people are way early on the curve (bob_p) and others who placed their reservations three years ago, and finalized 5 months ago still don't have a VIN. It's a game and you have no idea where you'll land. The holidays were especially strange since they combined an end of the year push with pulling up orders from all over the place that matched specific configurations that they were prepared to build. I would think that as the year moves along and Tesla stabilizes things, you will see more and more people in the 'middle' of the curve (Place their reservation, wait (some time, depending on backlog), get Finalize button, 90 days after that, they have a car).