Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seriously?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Half the rated range... Seriously?!

Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 1.40.09 PM.png

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
Most apps use the ‘last 30 miles’ as the estimated range. If you did a few short trips in the last 30 miles, that be your range, assuming you did another bunch of short trips. If your last 30 miles were on the highway, I’d be worried.

43F is cold. Pre-heat your car by charging it up to 80% before driving, and you’ll get better range, if it’s that important to you. But really, if you’re just driving around town, I don’t see why it matters. You’ll get much better range highway driving. Same is true for ICE cars.

Sure, why not? It's pretty easy to drive aggressively and in cold weather and with range reducing modifications. And let's just top it off with a trip up the side of a mountain.

First, for range, the only thing that I would come close to starting to trust is the Energy Usage graphs in the car. That should quickly let you know that range is a ever changing item.

And the other hand, driving smartly, in warm weather, with the stock option (Aero covers on) and down a mountain? I can literally have a infinite range.

No hills here in Atlanta, but yeah I 'hoon' around a bit, but seriously half the range? That's just ridiculous.
When you drive in such a way, in such an environment to half the efficiency of the EPA test, you get half the range.

Lot's of factors can create a very high draw.
Low Temps
Short Trips
High acceleration.
Rain or worse, snow.
20" Wheels.
Sports wheels.
AWD
Performance cars.
Heating the cabin.

Every one of these things also affect ICE vehicles except "heating the cabin".
In most cases, people don't have an instant readout of their MPG (Prius excepted).
Some of these things are under your control, others are not.
We really should have sticky thread up as I think it would help a lot of people (or do we?).

Estimated range is based on last 5, 15, or 30 miles depending on how you have energy app set.

If you had energy app set to 5 miles and your last 5 miles were uphill with a cold car and the heater on, you could easily show estimated = 25% of rated range. It is a Useless number that I’ve never used in 6 years of Tesla ownership. Ignore it. Use rated range. In winter in colder climes, assume you’ll get 25% less.

The way I do it:

On the highway i look at how many km i drive with 1 percent. And then, all i have to do is extrapolate. It is pretty accurate and usually gives me s better estimate of what the car gives for remaining percentage at destination.

Let’s just all be honest with ourselves. It is basically impossible to get rated range unless you drive like a 100 year old lady.

On average I get 50% of rated range in winter and 65% in the summer.

You just have to learn to live with it.
I disagree,

Or maybe i drive like an old lady.
Over Christmas with temperature of 0c, driving at 100km h. The speed limit. I was averaging 1 percent for 3 km. For the midrange. So about 300 km for a 420 epa range.

Reactions: cstork and FlyinLow
I disagree,

Or maybe i drive like an old lady.
Over Christmas with temperature of 0c, driving at 100km h. The speed limit. I was averaging 1 percent for 3 km. For the midrange. So about 300 km for a 420 epa range.

I will admit my usage is mostly highway at 80mph (130 km/h) and 25% driving around town at normal speeds.

I would imagine I could get closer to you numbers if I drove 65 but I don’t perceive that to be the normal highway speed (unless you are a granny ).

Reactions: groovyd
Let’s just all be honest with ourselves. It is basically impossible to get rated range unless you drive like a 100 year old lady.

On average I get 50% of rated range in winter and 65% in the summer.

You just have to learn to live with it.
Perhaps in your location it is difficult in winter, but around here at 43F (which is what the OP posted) it is not a problem for me to exceed rated range with an AWD and 18" OEM tires in urban driving.

If someone says "yeah I hoon a bit" they likely hoon a LOT. its kind of like a guy who says "yeah I know im a @$!$" when someone says that, you can bet they mean it. I am guessing OP hoons more than "a bit".

If it was an ICE car with 20 Mpg, and someone was getting 12 because they were "messing around" they wouldnt care (and they wouldnt have all these pretty teslafi / stats app graphs and charts to show them how badly they were hurting their MPG).

Sometimes, having a bunch of data is actually having too much data, and causes analysis paralysis.

When you drive in such a way, in such an environment to half the efficiency of the EPA test, you get half the range.

Lot's of factors can create a very high draw.
Low Temps
Short Trips
High acceleration.
Rain or worse, snow.
20" Wheels.
Sports wheels.
AWD
Performance cars.
Heating the cabin.

Every one of these things also affect ICE vehicles except "heating the cabin".
In most cases, people don't have an instant readout of their MPG (Prius excepted).
Some of these things are under your control, others are not.
We really should have sticky thread up as I think it would help a lot of people (or do we?).

clearly huh... maybe they shouldn't even sell it to a stated range considering the list of things that destroys the range is so vast and the potential impact is so significant. I would understand 80% maybe even 70% but 50%? and no, ice vehicles are not so significantly affected in range, not even close. the variance on my last car an altima was maybe 15% max between driving like a granny on a nice day and a race car driver in the snow.

Last edited: