Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High mileage model 3 LR battery life expectancy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been contemplating selling my 2021 FSD Performance 3 with 82k miles out of fear that, 'something costly could happen soon'.
This again gets into that weird thing where people do something irrational based on fear. Your car is only 3 years old.

You are contemplating dumping 30 or 40 thousand dollars to get a new car because you are so afraid of a possible 10 thousand dollar expense. That doesn't make any sense.

Thank you all for some great insights here.

Been contemplating selling my 2021 FSD Performance 3 with 82k miles out of fear that, 'something costly could happen soon'.

Through Tessie app, battery degradation shows at 88%. Daily commute of 90 miles round trip, hoping to cut in half by end of year. Charge to 80%, have never dipped below 10%. Owned the car for 3 years and 3 months.

If I felt confident about getting to 150k miles without needing any major/costly repairs, I'd probably keep instead of selling.

Obviously, anything could happen at any time. Given where the car is at now, are my fears justified, or are the odds pretty high that the car should make it?

Any additional insights/thoughts are appreciated.
No. I wouldn't sell the car and take at least what could be a 15 to 20k hit money wise for an issue that may never come up. If that's the case then you'd be constantly losing money every 3 years.
Also as a side recommendation, you seem to follow everything chart and graph but still have 88% degradation? I have a 18 M3LR with less than that and I refuse to follow crazy charts and graphs but the only thing I do is charge to 80% when needed or to 100% for road trips.

Reactions: Rocky_H
No. I wouldn't sell the car and take at least what could be a 15 to 20k hit money wise for an issue that may never come up. If that's the case then you'd be constantly losing money every 3 years.
Also as a side recommendation, you seem to follow everything chart and graph but still have 88% degradation? I have a 18 M3LR with less than that and I refuse to follow crazy charts and graphs but the only thing I do is charge to 80% when needed or to 100% for road trips.

Texas is hot in the summer. Heat contributes just as much, if not more, to battery degradation as state of charge.

• Informative
Reactions: nicksp